How Do You Define "Junk Food"?

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Junk foods are high in fat, sugar, sodium, which causes obesity and a range of attendant health problems. Junk food is very tastier than healthy food so that why we love junk food. Junk food affect your energy level as well as it contributed in your poor performance and obesity. Eating too much junk food can make you uncomfortable.

Angelica

UltraLifeShop

Eating more calories than you burn causes obesity and eating too much of any food can make you feel uncomfortable.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Probably would define it as food with little to no micro-nutrient content.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Junk foods are high in fat, sugar, sodium, which causes obesity and a range of attendant health problems. Junk food is very tastier than healthy food so that why we love junk food. Junk food affect your energy level as well as it contributed in your poor performance and obesity. Eating too much junk food can make you uncomfortable.

Angelica

UltraLifeShop
    Obesity is CAUSED by over consumption. One can eat "junk" daily and not get obese while also still meeting macro/micro nutrient goals. Blanket statement at best by a "health" company representative.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I'd like to say I disagree that oil on a salad is "junk food". But on the other hand, I also think its silly to say that no "junk food" exists. There are plenty of foods that people enjoy and like and eat, simply because IT TASTES GOOD, not for any other reason. I love Krispy Kreme donuts, the glazed ones, hot and fresh. Are they junk food? YES. But I will occasionally indulge and enjoy them.

I think the point is that some foods are made for the pure enjoyment, such as pies, cakes, etc. People eat for PLEASURE. I think it's also silly to say that calling this food "junk" is somehow demonizing it. I my opinion, it doesn't.

It's not like that label is new, or that a few over zealous MFP users made it up, its been around for years, I mean seriously, have we become so PC that we can't call junk food "junk food"??? Come on, people. It doesn't mean we cut all "junk food" out of our diets. Most just have to monitor their treats or "junk food". I even have a category for my "junk food". Its my evening snacks/treats.
    Great post.
  • CindaWhite
    CindaWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Junk foods are foods that consist of ingrediants that arn't food.

THIS! ^
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

When logic and reason doesn't work, what do you expect? The word "demonize" might be overused, but then again... so is "junk food."

Since you mentioned that you won't have wine unless you've got the calories left over for it, is wine a junk food?
    Wine is a beverage. But sure, it could easily be classified as "empty calories". It would also fit nicely with those Julia Child quotes above. :smile: Pleasure. Art. I enjoy wine. I prefer to use those calories for a nice glass, or two, or three of wine than a pop tart or two. It's all about choices. (more so than it is about "moderation", in fact.)
    You choose how to use your discretionary calories. I choose how to use mine. And I don't blather on telling others they *should* drink wine, or that they are "deprived" because they don't drink wine, or that their lives are "pathetic" or that they are "wine-o-phobic" because they don't drink wine.

I don't judge how you use your calories. I will from time to time state that the earlier healthier habits are formed the easier it is later. That goes for myself as well. I started eating a more nutritious diet when I was about 34 or 35. I wish I'd started much much earlier. c'est la vie. Cheers!:drinker:

PS: try one post without an insult. Just for the novelty.

Great post!!

A Big Mac and a bottle of wine have approx the same number of calories. The Big Mac.will NEVER be worth it to me.