why is heavy lifting so f**** important?!

Options

Replies

• iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I found that, for me, lifting made my body tighter & sexier the fastest. I spent many months doing workout DVDs (not knocking them...I still do them sometimes when I want to workout want something quick & easy), and I got results....but I feel like I got better results in half the time once I picked up a barbell.

I lift in my bedroom. I don't have money for a gym membership, either. I bought a cheap bench and barbell w/plates off Craigslist for $30. I also bought some dumbbells from a second hand sporting goods store.
  • jigglyone
    jigglyone Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I found that, for me, lifting made my body tighter & sexier the fastest. I spent many months doing workout DVDs (not knocking them...I still do them sometimes when I want to workout want something quick & easy), and I got results....but I feel like I got better results in half the time once I picked up a barbell.

I lift in my bedroom. I don't have money for a gym membership, either. I bought a cheap bench and barbell w/plates off Craigslist for $30. I also bought some dumbbells from a second hand sporting goods store.

thank you! btw you profile pic is bomb!!! great job!
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I don't lift heavy, body weight exercise and cardio for me...but I have lots of friends who do lift---they love me anyway!! :bigsmile: :heart: :bigsmile:
  • jigglyone
    Options
    I don't lift heavy, body weight exercise and cardio for me...but I have lots of friends who do lift---they love me anyway!! :bigsmile: :heart: :bigsmile:

aww <3
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Is that a typo? If not, I hate you a little. :laugh: :flowerforyou:

I just paid $300 for my bench, barbell, and plates and it seemed like a really good deal.
  • TemikaThompson
    TemikaThompson Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm interested in it because Every person's body that I have seen has the looks that I want for my body. I have asked them all how they got their results and they told me from heavy lifting. I know that a proper diet and exercise can help you to lose fat but I don't just want a thinner version of the body I have. I want a body with definition and muscle tone.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    what I think is quite ironic is that many people who scoff at just doing body weight exercises and promote only heavy lifting can't do proper pullups. :laugh:

Just about every professional athlete will incorporate some resistance training into their program.

No kidding! Also, I keep trying to convince people that yoga can be pretty hardcore for strength. They scoff.

This is what they have probably taken for locust pose:

full-locust.jpg

and this is what I'm talking about for the same pose:

[img][/img] [pic was here] **edit: That's too giant!
    The legs come up from the back to get where they are in that, folks ^^^^

That's another 'oh, just bodyweight' kind of thing. Bodies are heavy, lol.

**edit: Pic was giant! Here's the link :)
    http://vimuktiyogala.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Poorna-Shalabhasana-Full-Locust-Pose1.jpg
  • jigglyone
    Options
    Personally I'm interested in it because Every person's body that I have seen has the looks that I want for my body. I have asked them all how they got their results and they told me from heavy lifting. I know that a proper diet and exercise can help you to lose fat but I don't just want a thinner version of the body I have. I want a body with definition and muscle tone.

thats good. best of luck
  • jigglyone
    Options
    what I think is quite ironic is that many people who scoff at just doing body weight exercises and promote only heavy lifting can't do proper pullups. :laugh:

Just about every professional athlete will incorporate some resistance training into their program.

No kidding! Also, I keep trying to convince people that yoga can be pretty hardcore for strength. They scoff.

This is what they have probably taken for locust pose:

full-locust.jpg

and this is what I'm talking about for the same pose:

Poorna-Shalabhasana-Full-Locust-Pose1.jpg
    The legs come up from the back to get where they are in that, folks ^^^^

That's another 'oh, just bodyweight' kind of thing. Bodies are heavy, lol.

thats right!!!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

I just paid $300 for my bench, barbell, and plates and it seemed like a really good deal.

Ha! No, it's not a typo. It's really crappy (probably retails for about $200-$250...at Walmart), but it's getting me through till I can get something better. Best $30 I've ever spent!
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I have a back and shoulder injury and can't lift weights. Cardio plus pilates and yoga work for me. I've been losing slowly but steadily.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Ha! No, it's not a typo. It's really crappy (probably retails for about $200-$250...at Walmart), but it's getting me through till I can get something better. Best $30 I've ever spent!

:grumble:

Seriously that's awesome. I live in a military town and had to call 15 people off of Craig's List just to find one who hadn't already sold their set. High demand I guess.

Anyway I'm just happy I can lift here tomorrow in my underwear if I so choose (that doesn't sound safe, does it?) and I can do hip thrusters without blushing. :laugh:
  • jigglyone
    Options
    I have a back and shoulder injury and can't lift weights. Cardio plus pilates and yoga work for me. I've been losing slowly but steadily.

those are great workouts!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    For me, it's all about time and efficiency. My long-term goal is to lead a highly independent and functional standard of living as I age in terms of strength and mobility. One huge component in accomplishing that is increasing lean mass so it acts as a buffer against sarcopenia - thus, my lean mass and resting metabolic rate won't be significantly different than at the present. Lifting heavy allows me to achieve these goals with much less work in a short amount of time each week.

Lifting heavy doesn't require a gym membership or a lot of money, either. People are always selling used, yet high quality, squat racks and other valuable equipment for dirt cheap. A friend of mine got her squat rack, with Olympic barbell and full set of bumper plates and kettlebells for under $150.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I did body weight for a year. It became too easy and I needed to move on. Started with just 5 lb weights and had to move up every week. Now I am squatting 130 lbs plus body weight.
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Grabs popcorn, plops down in favorite chair to watch the show.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen any bodyweight exercises that would do for me what deadlifting 400 lbs would do.
  • eryquem
    eryquem Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    THIS is why lifting heavy means so much to so many:

http://jasonferruggia.com/how-to-get-a-body-like-jessica-biel/

See, this right here is the problem.

Yes, lifting heavy can lead to good results. No, it's not the only way to get good results. Case in point, Jessica Biel. Her workout plan incorporates a wide variety of bodyweight, dumbbell, medicine ball, plyometrics, etc., all wrapped up in a HIIT style circuit training routine. She doesn't "lift heavy", even though, according to the article, that is the only way to get a body like, well, hers.

The real key is to constantly push past your physical abilities. That can be done in a variety of ways, lifting included, but can also be done with things like sprinting, boxing, HIIT, power yoga, lighter weights IF lifted to failure, and more.

The bottom line: Push yourself hard, and your body will adapt and grow stronger.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    For me, it's all about time and efficiency. My long-term goal is to lead a highly independent and functional standard of living as I age in terms of strength and mobility. One huge component in accomplishing that is increasing lean mass so it acts as a buffer against sarcopenia - thus, my lean mass and resting metabolic rate won't be significantly different than at the present. Lifting heavy allows me to achieve these goals with much less work in a short amount of time each week.

Lifting heavy doesn't require a gym membership or a lot of money, either. People are always selling used, yet high quality, squat racks and other valuable equipment for dirt cheap. A friend of mine got her squat rack, with Olympic barbell and full set of bumper plates and kettlebells for under $150.

Yeah, I like lifting heavy for the shortcut it provides. My love is still more in the bodyweight feats from yoga and other disciplines, even though it takes longer to get good at the really heavy stuff there (you have to progress so much with flexibility and strength both, I mean). I find it more fun to do, and it's harder! That's bad for motivation to get to that level unless you love the act of practicing it. I don't have room for all the equipment I'd like, though, so it's good I feel that way :D

Lifting heavy weights is very linear, I think. That makes it wonderful and efficient. It also makes me more bored on motivation to lift more and more. I still do it and enjoy it for the linear, efficient aspect to it. There's only so much bodyweight practice I want to do in a day! You have to really stretch out and stuff. It can take a while, lol. Weights are fast!
This discussion has been closed.