why is heavy lifting so f**** important?!

Options
1235»

Replies

• Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why it bothers you so much.
    Heavy lifting has tons of benefits, which is why a lot of people on this site recommend it. However, one should find some form of exercise they like, otherwise they will not stick with it. No one will go to the gym and lift 3-4 days a week if they hate every minute of it.
    Heavy lifting IS important. Heavy is relative though, for a complete beginner bodyweight stuff can be "heavy".

You seem to be good at ignoring users/posts in this thread, so why don't you just do the same in general when you see something you don't like?
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Here's what a body without heavy lifting (and crap loads of cardio to boot) looks like...

cristiano-ronaldo-1-435.jpg

Not sure where you heard he doesn't lift heavy. According to this he does weight lifting sessions 2-3 times a week including squats and bench press. Sounds like heavy lifting to me kids.

http://healthyceleb.com/cristiano-ronaldo-workout-routine-diet-plan/5720

BUT...thank you for posting this pic. It made my day. :love:
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Here's what a body .....looks like...

cristiano-ronaldo-1-435.jpg

Continues munching popcorn
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    sure don't lift.. just stay flabby.

so im gonna be flabby for not heavy lifting???

No. You can maintain your muscle without heavy lifting. But you should do some kind of resistance training.

I like this girl.
    Great response.

OP, just worry about you and what's gonna work for you long term. If you don't like doing something, you won't do it long term.
    There are plenty of fit people who don't lift. My husband (a Tae Kwon Do instructor and almost 50 years old) doesn't lift, but has the body that men half his age are envious of. He's been at it since before most of the "lift heavy" brahs were born.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

OP hopes to look like this.

do you really think body shaming is going to help your point?
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    ...and the shaming begins....

Grabs remote and tries changing the channel.
  • jpbeck
    jpbeck Posts: 30
    Options
    Strength training, whether it be for heavy, endurance, or maintenance is important.

The more muscle you have the more it needs to burn glucose for energy, this is important for diabetics because it influences insulin sensitivity.

Muscle, as a rule, burns more calories than fat.

Strength training improves the strength of joints. the muscles around the joints actually contribute to joint stability. This especially becomes important the further along you age because it can actually prevent falls and the injuries that result from it, and if you do fall the injuries will be less than someone of the same age who doesn't strength train.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    it isnt..lol. just herd mentality. Strength training with light weight is fine.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    In order for your muscles to grow, you must lift weights heavy enough to cause your muscle fibers to tear. Your body then repairs the microtears in your muscles and your muscles grow and get stronger as a result. Heavy lifting is the most effective way to cause muscle growth. You want to lift with weight heavy enough to cause failure in 12 reps or less, otherwise the lifting is not nearly as effective for muscle growth. Body weight exercises are certainly much better than not lifting, but lifting to failure in the 8-12 rep range is optimal for muscle growth.

dang, i didnt know that! thank you

Me neither, that kind of freaks me out actually.

For some reason the term "lift heavy" bugs me, when it's referred to as "heavy lifting" it doesn't bug me.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I TRY to lift heavy, but I don't eat enough to build muscle so it's kind of counterproductive, but I agree with everyone. Find something you like, no one will look down on you for not lifting. If they do, it's their problem not your's
This discussion has been closed.