Just started KETO diet

Options

Replies

• thmgoodw
    Options
    Agree on the deficit part, and for me (and I think many others), it is very easy for me to maintain a deficit on a very low carb diet because I am just not hungry. In fact, I think I would be ill if I consumed more calories than my TDEE.

Ignore the naysayers.

I just posted my before and after pics of losing 45 pounds over the course of the last 16-17 weeks in the success stories forum.

About 80% of the period has been pure keto (typically around 55-60% fat, 45% protein, and 5-10% carbs, and the other 20% a bit higher carb (~20%). I am trying to maintain/increase my LBM while losing the fat, hence my protein levels.
    All diets work if you maintain a deficit. I'm not against this diet, I just mentioned that it's mostly unsustainable for the vast majority of people over a lifetime. Losing weight is the easy part.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Ignore the naysayers.

I just posted my before and after pics of losing 45 pounds over the course of the last 16-17 weeks in the success stories forum.

About 80% of the period has been pure keto (typically around 55-60% fat, 45% protein, and 5-10% carbs, and the other 20% a bit higher carb (~20%). I am trying to maintain/increase my LBM while losing the fat, hence my protein levels.
    All diets work if you maintain a deficit. I'm not against this diet, I just mentioned that it's mostly unsustainable for the vast majority of people over a lifetime. Losing weight is the easy part.

Why is it unsustainable?
  • lisamoultrie
    Options
    I've been on Keto for 6 months and have lost 53lbs on it. More than the weight loss, it has taught me about eating when I'm hungry not when I feel like it. It's taught me to think about my meals ahead of time, so I have less of the "eating on the fly" moment. The weight loss has also encouraged me to take up running which I love and helps to create a greater calorie deficit everyday but still eat healthy. I do feel like it is sustainable long term, but not at the 20g carbs I've been doing. I plan on increasing my carbs to a max of 50g once I've hit my goal.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    Options
    So you lost a ton of weight and then gained back a large portion of it but you think doing a very restrictive diet is going to be a sustainable answer? Sounds like you have to get your mindset fixed before you try this again or your health will suffer for it.
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Best advice from someone who has been doing Low Carb for over 2 years now with 150 pound weight loss.... Don't ask for advice on here. Get on Facebook and find Low carb and Keto groups. People there will help and have tons of recipes and links to sites with recipes so you won't be stuck on the same low carbs foods every day.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Ignore the naysayers.

Increasing LBM while keto is extremely unlikely and difficult. Keto usually ranks very low for bulking, because you need glycogen for optimal strength training performance, and glycogen only comes from eating carbs.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Ignore the naysayers.

Increasing LBM while keto is extremely unlikely and difficult. Keto usually ranks very low for bulking, because you need glycogen for optimal strength training performance, and glycogen only comes from eating carbs.

Not true.
    With the carbs this person is ingesting, glycogen stores should be normal. For optimal strength training, which means, I presume, a person is gaining strength, you must create a condition where the body can make PROTEIN and not necessarily glycogen. Fat metabolism creates a state of stress where cortisol levels and growth hormone levels are relatively high. That is good. You need amino acids, growth hormone, and insulin to make muscle protein.
    I totally believe that this person is gaining strength on this KETO diet, though I have never heard of that diet specifically.
    A nice summary of the physiology behind these things in Hagan's "Breakfast: The least important meal of the day."
    The entire point of a ketogenic diet is glycogen depletion. If glycogen stores are normal, then the body isn't in ketosis, because it's using glycogen for it's glucose needs. Glycogen is needed for optimal performance in the gym (fat oxidation is not fast enough to keep up with the intensity of strength training.) Also, carbs are an essential part of IGF-1 and HGH production.

Finally, gaining strength is not the same as adding mass. Most strength gains are neurological in nature.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    What, specifically, are the benefits of a ketogenic diet? Are there any published studies using this as a tool for weight loss?

I have to watch my carbs closely because of prediabetes, although I haven't cut them out by any means. I can't imagine anyone wanting to do something as drastic as keto without some major benefits!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    What, specifically, are the benefits of a ketogenic diet? Are there any published studies using this as a tool for weight loss?

I have to watch my carbs closely because of prediabetes, although I haven't cut them out by any means. I can't imagine anyone wanting to do something as drastic as keto without some major benefits!

My prediabetes have benefited greatly from a ketogenic diet. That's a major benefit for me personally.
  • tigersword
    Options
    It's great for controlling epilepsy. And the people that push it have made a ton of money off books. Other than that, I got nothing.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options

It is a diet that controls your insulin levels and glucose levels completely without the use of medication. I am not sure about others but this is the main draw for me. I am also pre-diabetic and could be completely diabetic by the time I am 30 if I am not careful. Not because I am obese but because I have a hormonal imbalance that causes insulin resistance.

By eating fewer than 20 net g of carbs per day and these all coming from low carb/high fiber veggies, you are not causing an insulin response or a very small one. An insulin response in someone who is pre-diabetic has one of two consequences. A) Too little insulin is released and the blood sugar levels go up too high because the insulin isn't able to effectively guide the sugar to be used as fuel. or B) Too much insulin is released/not enough is absorbed by the system thereby leaving too much in your system at levels that would be harmful. The excess insulin is then absorbed into your fat cells to protect your body from the negative effects. This makes that fat insoluble and much more difficult to lose.

This increase in fat causes more insulin resistance and more insulin would need to be produced next time to effectively use the sugar as fuel. Eventually your pancreas will have been worked so hard that you get to the point where A is the only option and then eventually get to full blown diabetes.

I know for me, I was on it for three months before I got pregnant this past August. In that time alone, I had to start weaning myself off of my metformin going from 1500mg/day to 500mg/day. My blood sugar levels were almost completely level and within the perfect range coming from borderline high levels. I also think it helped me now as I am pregnant. Since I am already pre-diabetic, I am at a much greater risk for gestational diabetes (GD). I have had to up my carbs some since I got pregnant due to doctor orders but I am still staying less than 100g carbs/day and my numbers after my first glucose test was 113. At risk of GD is over 140. So I am basically in the same range as another woman who isn't at risk. This is unheard of with my hormonal imbalance and already being pre-diabetic. If nothing else keto has helped me learn what foods I need to avoid and what I can safely eat without my blood sugar jumping up like crazy!

As for studies, yes there are a ton. I have a list but I am at work and my list is at home. But I started here (http://www.dietdoctor.com/science) and then expanded my search across the internet to learn more about the science behind why the diet works and why it is good for pre-diabetes/diabetes.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I found this debate, in the video below, very informative on both sides of the subject . The diet is not for me as I have no problems eating and using carbs but there is a lot of info out there for people to educate themselves.

http://www.nsca.com/Videos/Conference_Lectures/Low-Carbohydrate_Diets_for_Athletes/
  • tigersword
    Options

It is a diet that controls your insulin levels and glucose levels completely without the use of medication. I am not sure about others but this is the main draw for me. I am also pre-diabetic and could be completely diabetic by the time I am 30 if I am not careful. Not because I am obese but because I have a hormonal imbalance that causes insulin resistance.

By eating fewer than 20 net g of carbs per day and these all coming from low carb/high fiber veggies, you are not causing an insulin response or a very small one. An insulin response in someone who is pre-diabetic has one of two consequences. A) Too little insulin is released and the blood sugar levels go up too high because the insulin isn't able to effectively guide the sugar to be used as fuel. or B) Too much insulin is released/not enough is absorbed by the system thereby leaving too much in your system at levels that would be harmful. The excess insulin is then absorbed into your fat cells to protect your body from the negative effects. This makes that fat insoluble and much more difficult to lose.

This increase in fat causes more insulin resistance and more insulin would need to be produced next time to effectively use the sugar as fuel. Eventually your pancreas will have been worked so hard that you get to the point where A is the only option and then eventually get to full blown diabetes.

I know for me, I was on it for three months before I got pregnant this past August. In that time alone, I had to start weaning myself off of my metformin going from 1500mg/day to 500mg/day. My blood sugar levels were almost completely level and within the perfect range coming from borderline high levels. I also think it helped me now as I am pregnant. Since I am already pre-diabetic, I am at a much greater risk for gestational diabetes (GD). I have had to up my carbs some since I got pregnant due to doctor orders but I am still staying less than 100g carbs/day and my numbers after my first glucose test was 113. At risk of GD is over 140. So I am basically in the same range as another woman who isn't at risk. This is unheard of with my hormonal imbalance and already being pre-diabetic. If nothing else keto has helped me learn what foods I need to avoid and what I can safely eat without my blood sugar jumping up like crazy!

As for studies, yes there are a ton. I have a list but I am at work and my list is at home. But I started here (http://www.dietdoctor.com/science) and then expanded my search across the internet to learn more about the science behind why the diet works and why it is good for pre-diabetes/diabetes.
    What about the fact that protein spikes insulin just as much as carbs?
  • kenzietate
    Options

What about the fact that protein spikes insulin just as much as carbs?

It takes a higher level of protein to cause this spike. In a ketogenic diet it is recommended that you eat low carbs, moderate protein and high fat to keep this at a minimum. Too much protein and you are correct it will spike. I know that eating around 120g/protein per day while on the keto diet did not spike my insulin levels or cause my blood sugar to go up. For others that level might be different.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Not everyone has to go the keto route to control insulin levels. I am a type 2 diabetic diagnosed in 2009 and I have never had to go keto to control my diabetes.... I started out eating 60-70 grams of carbs at my 3 main meals and 20-25 gram at my 3 snacks everyday... I eat a diet consisting of lean meats, veggies, fruits, and whole grains and fit in some discretionary food choices (ice cream, chocolate, etc). My A1c have average 5.3 over the last couple years.... I exercise 6 days a week and feel this is a bigger contributor to my success controlling my diabetes, just as much as my diet but I do not shy away from carbs at all... I have actually increased my carb intake since 2009...... OP Best of Luck....
  • kenzietate
    Options

Not everyone has to go the keto route to control insulin levels. I am a type 2 diabetic diagnosed in 2009 and I have never had to go keto to control my diabetes.... I started out eating 60-70 grams of carbs at my 3 main meals and 20-25 gram at my 3 snacks everyday... I eat a diet consisting of lean meats, veggies, fruits, and whole grains and fit in some discretionary food choices (ice cream, chocolate, etc). My A1c have average 5.3 over the last couple years.... I exercise 6 days a week and feel this is a bigger contributor to my success controlling my diabetes, just as much as my diet but I do not shy away from carbs at all... I have actually increased my carb intake since 2009...... OP Best of Luck....

I wish that worked for me. I have always been very active but the most active time in my life I was running 5K 3 days per week, doing work out dvd's 3 days per week plus walking 1.5 miles to school and then another 1.5 miles home 5 days per week plus working in a lab. At the time I was counting calories but not limiting my carbs consciously. I was still under 200 g per day consistently and all coming from whole grain and "healthy" carbs. But I still gained 30 lbs in that time plus my a1c levels were out of control high and I was on metformin.

Keto is definitely not for everyone and not everyone needs it but for me it was the best thing I have ever done for myself!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    You can do it! The first week can be Hell, but it gets better. However, you need to realize that the first 10ish lbs will be water weight, but the rest will be fat. I started Keto at the end of July and as of now, I'm one lb away from 30 lbs lost overall! I look better, I feel better and I love this new eating plan! Just remember to drink more water, make sure your fat is high enough and your protein is at a median.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Best advice from someone who has been doing Low Carb for over 2 years now with 150 pound weight loss.... Don't ask for advice on here. Get on Facebook and find Low carb and Keto groups. People there will help and have tons of recipes and links to sites with recipes so you won't be stuck on the same low carbs foods every day.

Also, if you're on reddit, there's a few sub-reddits dedicated to keto. I'm in the lady version because boys are icky!:tongue:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You can do it! The first week can be Hell, but it gets better. However, you need to realize that the first 10ish lbs will be water weight, but the rest will be fat. I started Keto at the end of July and as of now, I'm one lb away from 30 lbs lost overall! I look better, I feel better and I love this new eating plan! Just remember to drink more water, make sure your fat is high enough and your protein is at a median.

Hmmmm, might want to look into lbm retention on low carb/keto vs a mixed diet.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Yeah, so keto can be good for some diabetics. I haven't had to go that low to stabilize my numbers.

My question was more related to non-medical issues: do non-diabetics go on this diet, and why?

Als0: do y'all check your urine to make sure you are in ketosis, or is it just assumed that low carb = ketosis?