Why do you dread Thanksgiving?

Options

Replies

• BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    It's a holiday honored with copious amounts of food... I'm a fan.

Those that dread it should GTFO to CANADA!!!

ExtrasGiggle.gif

We celebrate Thanksgiving in Canada.....

yeah, but does a dozen Tim Horton's donuts and a shot glass of maple syrup really count as "celebrating"???

willis1.jpg
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't dread it. I hate the travel (it's a 3-hour drive to my family's home), but I got really lucky in the family department. They're a pretty cool group. Plus, food.
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I dread my husband's huge family gathering and the fact that none of them drink but they all make me want to drink.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    yeah, but does a dozen Tim Horton's donuts and a shot glass of maple syrup really count as "celebrating"???

Um ... yes.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid the tension was so high around our house that I'd get physically sick, yes throwing up 'n' stuff. I didn't carry the physical ailments into adulthood, but I did carry the tension...until one year I said to (my then) husband...we are staying home, this is what we are having and I am not going to stress over it, if it's not perfect tough ****e. I forgot the cranberry sauce until the next day, but by then it didn't matter...since my divorce I don't "do" the holiday's. As in, I don't get all wound up about them and have had more of them in the last 20 years that were not "Traditional" than were, and most of those were extremely fun. If I am not working that is.

Agatha Christie via Miss Marple said "Christmas is the time of year we get together with people [family] we don't like, pretending that we do. Then are extremely happy when it's all over." {paraphrased and can apply to T-day or any other "Family" holiday}
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Because my family is completely insane.

Yeah, yeah, everyone says their family is crazy, I get it. BUT try having a family function where you sit across from your father new girlfriend that is a 22 year old heroin addict (I'm 31 btw) and then you can get on my level.

I understand, except the addict is male and it's meth. Maybe it's a TN thing. LOL Then there are all the religious issues (they are JW's and we aren't). It's fun. We're skipping it this year because they couldn't get their schedule together and staying home. BLISS! All the roasted sweet potatoes and gravy for meeeeeeee!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Noise, chaos, clutter, lack of schedule, too much socializing.
  • opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm not dreading it at all, I'm actually getting really excited to cook some beautifully delicious dishes for my family to enjoy. :heart:
  • rml_16
    Options

Yeah, yeah, everyone says their family is crazy, I get it. BUT try having a family function where you sit across from your father new girlfriend that is a 22 year old heroin addict (I'm 31 btw) and then you can get on my level.

I understand, except the addict is male and it's meth. Maybe it's a TN thing. LOL Then there are all the religious issues (they are JW's and we aren't). It's fun. We're skipping it this year because they couldn't get their schedule together and staying home. BLISS! All the roasted sweet potatoes and gravy for meeeeeeee!
    Here is my question: If it's that awful, why go ever?
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    For the past twenty years, my husband and I have been subjected to Thanksgiving at his brother's house -- usually nontraditional food as the one year he attempted turkey it was FOUR HOURS late. His brother fancies himself a bit of a "gourmet," but I have yet to eat anything at his house that was even slightly appealing... and he seems to have conveniently forgotten that his own brother is allergic to seafood (last year was an all-seafood "feast"). Combine that with having to avoid the inappropriate comments from the lecherous old man that is my sister-in-law's stepfather, and it's a rather horrid experience.

This year, however, my brother-in-law will be out of town and my husband and I can finally have the holiday the way *we* want it. I'm making his favorite meatloaf, homemade mac & cheese, pumpkin cookies, and then we are going to sit on the couch and watch football and hockey until our eyes bleed. There may even be some napping involved.

For once, I'm looking *forward* to Thanksgiving!!!
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    2013-11-18-kirby.gif

2013-11-18-fatcat.gif

I regret nothing
  • rml_16
    Options
    For the past twenty years, my husband and I have been subjected to Thanksgiving at his brother's house -- usually nontraditional food as the one year he attempted turkey it was FOUR HOURS late. His brother fancies himself a bit of a "gourmet," but I have yet to eat anything at his house that was even slightly appealing... and he seems to have conveniently forgotten that his own brother is allergic to seafood (last year was an all-seafood "feast"). Combine that with having to avoid the inappropriate comments from the lecherous old man that is my sister-in-law's stepfather, and it's a rather horrid experience.

This year, however, my brother-in-law will be out of town and my husband and I can finally have the holiday the way *we* want it. I'm making his favorite meatloaf, homemade mac & cheese, pumpkin cookies, and then we are going to sit on the couch and watch football and hockey until our eyes bleed. There may even be some napping involved.

And, again, I ask, "Why do you go?"
  • Patzycakes
    Patzycakes Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't dread it at all. Either with my own family or my boyfriends. Probably my favorite holiday of the year.
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I dread hearing all the people b|tch and complain about all the food.

Whaaaaaaa Eating What I want for couple days a year is totally making me fat!!!

2013-11-18-fatcat.gif
  • Dino_bacon2112
    Dino_bacon2112 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have to go out in the cold to get to the food. Why can't the food just appear in my kitchen? Thanks, Obama.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I get a little sick of the leftovers by the 3rd week, but no actual dread.
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options

Just curious as to why you always go there instead of politely declining and doing your own thing?
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options

Here is my question: If it's that awful, why go ever?

Obligations and all that. We don't go up there but maybe once or twice a year as-is. And this is one of those times. I choose happiness for the vast majority of the year to put up with them for a few hours one day once a year. LOL We get along with the vast majority of the people, too. It's just a few things/issues that suck hairy monkey nads that I don't want to deal with.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I dread the time between waking up and dinner. The wait for dinner is agonizing. :P
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    It ending.