Negative Nancies

Options
13»

Replies

• summerroxygoodin
    summerroxygoodin Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    *hug* I hope I'm not one of those friends you are talking about. I think it's great that you are doing what you can to change yourself and be happy. You always comes first before anyone unless you have children...that's kind of hard to put you first. Anyway you know what I mean I hope. Hope today gets better for you.
  • asianmonkie
    Options
    *hug* I hope I'm not one of those friends you are talking about. I think it's great that you are doing what you can to change yourself and be happy. You always comes first before anyone unless you have children...that's kind of hard to put you first. Anyway you know what I mean I hope. Hope today gets better for you.
    Of course not you! You're awesome! I meant my friends IRL. Not that you're not real... I'll just be quiet now >.<
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I'd just stay friends with them if they bring anything else to your life, but steer AWAY from the diet and weight loss topics.

This is basically what I do.

This, and
    As for buying your friends weights and offering so much assistance...I would stop that. It's nice and all, but maybe that is not what they need or want. I think that would kind of put me in a grumpy mood toward them and cause me to expect them to follow through...but I think everyone has to change their diet and exercise habits at their own pace.

This.

Try to remember - when your second group of friends whines to you abt their own habits, they're not asking you to be their psychologist or to help them in any way. They're just talking- something a lot of people do.

Try not to get offended if they don't follow your advice or do the things that you say to do.

I haven't experienced this with regards to my weight loss, but I do have friends that I've had to tell not to talk to me about certain things because I just couldn't handle constantly giving advice and having the opposite done.

And almost 10 years later, we're still friends and most of those things which were once issues aren't anymore.
  • summerroxygoodin
    summerroxygoodin Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Of course not you! You're awesome! I meant my friends IRL. Not that you're not real... I'll just be quiet now >.<

I see how it is...:P I know what you mean. :) I'm glad. :D
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    For the first group, I explain to them that it's not a diet but a lifestyle change.
    First of all - yes, you are on a diet. If you can't even be honest with yourself about this, how can you expect others to take it seriously and be supportive?
    Of course it's all that I think about.
    How do they know what you're thinking about?
    The second group of people just whine and complain about how fat they are and how bad their diet is. Then they proceed to make excuses for their pathetic choices.
    That this is in a post complaining about not getting enough support is beyond ironic.
  • MeRoHa
    MeRoHa Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I unfortunately have to deal with a major negative person at work. This person is slightly overweight herself, but is constantly making negative comments about other people that are overweight. Several times when a group of us are having a conversation about something she will butt in and make a highly inappropriate comments about someone's weight.

Example: about four of us were talking about our experiences with the births of our children. This person did not know any of us back when we were having our children. She butted into the conversation and said that I must have looked like a baby hippo when I was pregnant. I know she was baiting me to say something back. I just ignored her and continued my conversation with the others.

I know this person needs intervention to deal with her obsessive need to belittle others to make herself feel more important.
    I can and will become a lighter and more healthier person. Unfortunately I think she will always be a jerk!
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I found that its a whole lot easier not to tell anyone your dieting, If you are in a situation like birthday party and you want to avoid cake and not make people shove it down your throat , I just say - I just found out that I am allergic to baking powder, yeast ,flour, chocolate etc so they will not make a big deal if you push it away. I sometimes take the cake and squash it in my plate and slowly walk and put it in the trash lol

When They noticed I lost alot of weight , they are like -- wow , what are you doing? you lost alot of weight? What diet are you on? I say …. NO DIET BUT my doctor changed my blood pressure meds and I am not as bloated any more !
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons I joined this site was so that I could talk about it here and not annoy my friends by talking about it constantly to them. You might legitimately be annoying them if you talk about it all them time and they don't want to hear it. When people criticize your choices, just tell them that you'll do your thing and they can do theirs.