Left turkey out overnight, is it okay?

Options
Ooops...

My brother in law won a turkey this year. It is huge, but has no label from grocery store. Butterball. Probably 20 pounds at least.

He brought it over on Monday night, it was hard as a rock frozen. I left it out for an hour or two, and put it back in the fridge.

Last night, it still seemed super hard and frozen. So I took it out to leave it out for another hour or two to help it along and make sure it is defrosted by Thursday, since I've dealt with a half frozen turkey before, and it is a pain in the butt....

Okay, heres where it goes wrong. I left it out overnight by mistake.

It is still cold, though no longer frozen hard. I do not have a thermometer.

Think it is okay?

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    It was frozen last night, when you left it out?

If so, it's fine. Just get into the fridge soon.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it'll be fine. I usually put mine in the fridge a few days beforehand and then the night before, I put it in the sink with water. Just put it back in the fridge and all is well. Nothing is worse than a half frozen turkey on Thanksgiving morning:explode:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I think you should be okay if it is still cold. I always thaw my turkey in cold water.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    You might want to go to Butterball turkey website and read up on whether or not it is till good to cook. I personally wouldn't feel ok with having left it out overnight. But, that's just my opinion. Good news is if you decide against it, you still have time to go out and get another turkey. Good luck!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    It's probably fine. If it's still cold to the touch I wouldn't worry about it at all.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I hate to be a debbie downer - while it is probably OK this has also put it at a much higher risk to breed bacteria and cause food poisoning.

I don't know how much higher the risk is or how severe it could be - but I would gow ith your gut - either way :) It's hard to just throw a giant bird away!
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    If it was cold in the refrigerator, then everyone would say it is fine.

If it is still cold on the counter, people freak out.

Does anyone else logic? If it's still cold, then of course it's just fine. If it got up to room temperature, then definitely no, but it didn't.

Seriously....
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm legit the most freaked out person about food poisoning (it always seems to happen to me!) but I would eat that turkey definitely. There's much more disgusting things in the world honestly and you're more likely to get sick from a restaurant. As long as it was still cold, and you cook it thoroughly...you should be all good!
  • it's cold. it's fine....just put it in the fridge now.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    if its still cold its fine. my family leaves the turkey in the sink overnight since the damn things are frozen solid.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options

Does anyone else logic? If it's still cold, then of course it's just fine. If it got up to room temperature, then definitely no, but it didn't.

Seriously....

Tim - I'm actually quite involved in a commercial kitchen environment with supporting education to back up what I said. Yes, human nature tells you if it still feels cold that it's OK.

Science has proven that when it sits out at room temperature for more than 2 hours it can fester bacteria. I didn't make this up. Sorry. I also said it CAN not that it WILL! You would be surprised to know the food risks that are present when temperature is just a few degrees to high or too low.

Do whatever you want with the turkey.

Edited to add reference: http://www.foodsafety.gov/blog/bloopers.html
  • hotfitmomma2b
    hotfitmomma2b Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I leave my turkey out the night before cooking it all the time ! never had any problems. its always still cold when I wake up in the morning.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    are you serious????

there would be a high chance of some type of bacteria living in it....

roll the dice, if you dare.....

is it worth it...i have had food poisining several times before..

Happy Thanksgiving...good luck
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Man, I literally leave meat out before I go to work, and cook it when I get home...and that's just for every day meats 1lb at a time or so.

That turkey is fine. Eat it up.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options

Seriously....

Is your house kept at a consistent 40F or below? Mine's not.

Don't use it. Bacteria multiplies in raw meat numerous times when left at temperatures between 40F-140F.

You could get LUCKY and not make everyone sick by cooking it, but is it worth it?
    Have you ever had bad food poisoning? I have. I don't risk it.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I heard that a turkey should be defrosted under water, not by sitting out (but I am no chef). A bird that has sat out for over an hour unfrozen can grow bacteria pretty quickly. If it was completely thawed by 3 AM and you didn't find it until 7 AM, you have a problem.

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot poll.
  • emmietoby
    emmietoby Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    i'm very sure it's ok for i did the same thing a couple of years ago and it was the best turkey that i ever cooked!! send it over to my place if you decide to toss it lol
  • parrotlover
    parrotlover Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I think it would be best to get another turkey. I just wouldn't even want to risk making everyone sick for thanksgiving.
    I know there is a website for USDA and they also have a phone number and e-mail you can use to contact them with questions regarding meat. You could do that as well to see what they say.
    Sorry bout your turkey it's a major bummer! :)
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    i make a turkey or two a month, i always leave mine out overnight and cook it in the morning or toss it in the fridge to cook in a few days. not dead yet.
  • spirytwynd
    spirytwynd Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Yup, you should be good. Pop it in the frig until time to cook.