Feeling really let down

Options

Replies

• samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    So it's been a week since I started MFP. I've exercised so much and stayed within my calories. 3 days ago I found out I'd gained a pound, I had gotten to 159, then I was at 160. Today for my first official weigh in I did not think I'd lose, but I was hoping I would, but I didn't. I feel like giving up, feel really disappointed and like this will never work for me. :( I bet everyone else has lost in their first week.

My first week I gained 5 pounds. My second week I lost 9. Dont stress it. It works.
  • JordanMiners
    Options
    One week and you want to give up?

Do you really want this or do you just feel guilty about being overweight?

Either way, weightloss isn't linear and one week is nothing like enough to gauge your results. Give it at least 6 weeks until you worry about losing or not losing.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    To all the people thinking I WANT to give up for real, you don't know my situation. I do not want to give up for real, I just felt like that at the time. I have lost 20 pounds doing another thing, slimming world, which wasn't working anymore. I've done more work over the last two years losing weight than you probably have. I am sick of going through not losing weight each week. sick of it. losing weight for me, when I'm good at staying under calories, etc, is still really hard obviously. Some people on here have a really negative attitude. Who do you think you are telling me that I'm 'not ready' for MFP. That is so rude. And talking about turds is really gross. I don't like that.
  • ironmadien
    ironmadien Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I know, I felt the same way when I first started. It is hard at first. I am kinda now in a plateau and am struggling. It can be hard, but totally worth it!
  • Anita_hoar12345
    Options
    give it time if you just started exercise you could hold water. I checked your diary to see if I can help. You should lose weight if your eating at a deficit but if I were you I would replace some of the chips and chocolates with some nuts and fruits and veggies. You shouldn't worry too much about fats unless they are trans fat or saturated as long as they fit in the daily allowance for all the nutients. If you wan't low carbs green veggies are good. You could make meals with fish and chicken. You will have to consume calories from fat or protein to meet your daily requirements. I feel ****ty if I don't eat enough carbs so I try to eat more whole wheat or fruits and veggies.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    I'm going to keep trying. I'm just feeling really angry at the moment.
  • gina_nz_
    gina_nz_ Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    To all the people thinking I WANT to give up for real, you don't know my situation. I do not want to give up for real, I just felt like that at the time. I have lost 20 pounds doing another thing, slimming world, which wasn't working anymore. I've done more work over the last two years losing weight than you probably have. I am sick of going through not losing weight each week. sick of it. losing weight for me, when I'm good at staying under calories, etc, is still really hard obviously. Some people on here have a really negative attitude. Who do you think you are telling me that I'm 'not ready' for MFP. That is so rude. And talking about turds is really gross. I don't like that.

READ the advice given and give it a try. To be honest looking at your food diary I would not say you've been trying really hard, its been one week and there was fast food in there a lot.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I know, I felt the same way when I first started. It is hard at first. I am kinda now in a plateau and am struggling. It can be hard, but totally worth it!

i have not lost weight in ages, but my body is changing for the best.. You really need to be sure what you are eating is accurate and you will definately see losses. OP this journey is a long thing so please be patient and keep at it. its worth it in the end.

To the other posters that have been here awhile do you not get tired with that tired old saying about not gaining it all in one week, so you want lose it in a week. its not that helpful.
  • instructor03
    instructor03 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Make one change: don't eat your exercise calories back. Again, you may not be burning what the data base says. If you make ONE change, make that one and see what happens (and water). Keep dancing and walking.
  • crispsandwich
    crispsandwich Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    OK, I am going to give some tough love here. I am a PT and vacuuming and dawdling around doesn't count as exercise so don't put it down. I went to your food and exercise diaries. It appears you are a grazer. Lots of snacks, McD, pizza, chips, etc. You are eating most, if not all your exercise calories back. When you set up your caloric intake, MFP takes into account your age, weight, and lifestyle. So don't eat your calories back, but if you do, try to stay within no more that 100 calories over.

The advice I took myself and gave to my clients with success:

Heart rate monitor: the data base is what OTHER people entered for their exercise. You may burn less that what is in the data base, so if you eat the calories back, you are sabotaging yourself. If you can't get a monitor than do NOT log your exercise that way you will NOT eat the calories back.

Water: Drink it. Your diaries are showing that you are not drinking it. If you are, track it.

Food: Eat Breakfast. My other SIMPLE advice: IF YOU CAN PICK IT OR KILL IT, EAT IT IN IT'S MOST NATURAL STATE. IF YOU HAVE TO UNWRAP IT, DON'T EAT IT OR EAT IT SPARINGLY. Eat your chicken, but grill it or bake it, eat your fries, but make sweet potato fries in the oven, etc.

Exercise: Take your "dawdling" around and turn it into a HIIT (high intensit interval training) session. You can get an amazing workout in 20 minutes. Pick four exercises: example.... Jumping Jacks, Squats, Pushups, Speed Skaters. Do Jacks for 30 sec, rest 30, squats 30, rest 30, you get the drift. do that 5 times and you have worked your whole body.

Best of Luck.

great advice which I will take note of! x
  • benum21121
    Options
    You're getting a lot of the same advice- really good advice. Don't get frustrated.. take your time, and keep at it. You WILL see the results! Put in the hard work, and it'll pay off! :-)
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, sweetie. Maybe you could start going to a gym and learn more about nutrition, that will help you. We all learn a little everyday. Best of luck to you!
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Cut out most of the junk (I looked at your food diary) and weigh your food (don't eye ball and be honest in your diary). Try using a heart rate monitor when you exercise (mfp is just an estimate of cals burnt). Drink 2 litres of water a day. Come back in two weeks and report your progress.

^^^^ this. I too looked at a few of your food diary days and I see way way too much junk foods/snacks, high carbed foods, fast foods, pre-cooked foods.

If you really want to lose weight, you need to cut back on the junk, start making your foods from scratch, that way you know exactly what you are eating. I am not saying you can't have a small bag of chips, cheese puffs, candy etc. Just have one a day, not 5-10.

If you really want to lose weight, then you need to change your eating habits. Those habits are what got you where you are today, so do you really think you can lose weight by eating all the same foods you did to get where you are today????
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options

READ the advice given and give it a try. To be honest looking at your food diary I would not say you've been trying really hard, its been one week and there was fast food in there a lot.

EXCUSE ME?! For you information, I have Mcdonalds TWICE a month. I have 5 other people in the house. My parents and 3 siblings. We used to have Mcdonalds EVERY WEEK. And I rarely have burger king, it's rare I even have takeaway twice in a week, as I said I only have it once a fortnight usually. It so happened my parents wanted it when we were out shopping. And that was the £3 pound meal. a downsized meal. Very similar to a happy meal. I could of easily had a full meal if I wanted but I did not. Have you bothered to see that actually I have done so much exercise this week, stayed UNDER my calories? And WHAT is so wrong with not being so healthy? I still ate a lot of fruit, Most of the week I had healthy meals for dinner. That night I had SFC chicken, was because my mum was cooking it for the rest of my family, and I only had 10 pieces of chicken and a handful of chips. Yet again, I ended up putting that within my calories. It is only my first week, and you are not an angel yourself, so give me a break. You don't know my story. Leave me alone. If you are not going to be supportive, leave me alone. It is my first week.
  • DenialTwister
    Options
    I've just had a look at your diary and you eat s**t. Sorry I don't have any other way of putting it.

You tend to skip breakfast and lunch and make up by snacking on rubbish. 3 packs of crisps a day are 500cals, bottle of coke, mcdonalds, chocolate. This is the stuff that got you fat! Hello!!!!

Start by having breakfast and replace those sugary snacks with fruit.
  • DenialTwister
    Options
    If you are not going to be supportive, leave me alone. It is my first week.

My apologies. Carry on as you are, I'm sure you will be fine. Now I'm off to ride my unicorn for the day.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Its been a week - you really need to think much more long term or you will give up! I haven't lost on the scales for 2 months, dropped a dress size tho, lots of inches and my fitness has gone through the roof - don't be ruled by the scales. What have you really learned or achieved this week?
  • Tmccall55
    Tmccall55 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    anything worth having is worth waiting and working for. Be sure you drink your water, Remember muscles weigh more than fat (and your great workouts are making muscle). Remove all breads an sweets from your diet. Shop the perimeter of the supermarket (Produce, meats, eggs, milk) Don't use artificial sweeteners if you can avoid them. and I promise. You WILL MOST CERTAINLY LOSE weight. If you don't, Go to the Dr. Something is wrong!
  • gina_nz_
    gina_nz_ Posts: 74 Member
    Options

EXCUSE ME?! For you information, I have Mcdonalds TWICE a month. I have 5 other people in the house. My parents and 3 siblings. We used to have Mcdonalds EVERY WEEK. And I rarely have burger king, it's rare I even have takeaway twice in a week, as I said I only have it once a fortnight usually. It so happened my parents wanted it when we were out shopping. And that was the £3 pound meal. a downsized meal. Very similar to a happy meal. I could of easily had a full meal if I wanted but I did not. Have you bothered to see that actually I have done so much exercise this week, stayed UNDER my calories? And WHAT is so wrong with not being so healthy? I still ate a lot of fruit, Most of the week I had healthy meals for dinner. That night I had SFC chicken, was because my mum was cooking it for the rest of my family, and I only had 10 pieces of chicken and a handful of chips. Yet again, I ended up putting that within my calories. It is only my first week, and you are not an angel yourself, so give me a break. You don't know my story. Leave me alone. If you are not going to be supportive, leave me alone. It is my first week.

You don't need to justify yourself to me, you know in your heart what is true.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I've just had a look at your diary and you eat s**t. Sorry I don't have any other way of putting it.

You tend to skip breakfast and lunch and make up by snacking on rubbish. 3 packs of crisps a day are 500cals, bottle of coke, mcdonalds, chocolate. This is the stuff that got you fat! Hello!!!!

Start by having breakfast and replace those sugary snacks with fruit.

this!