Feeling really let down

Options

Replies

• taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    1. Don't make a post if you don't want responses.

2. Also, looking at your diary, you have 1-2 meals a day (nothing nutritious) and then eat most of your calories in snacks all day. Where's the proper food?!

If you eat better quality food (not McDonalds for lunch and then snacking all day long on crisps and junk) and eat proper meals, you're going to be fuller for longer and less likely to snack.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Cut out most of the junk (I looked at your food diary) and weigh your food (don't eye ball and be honest in your diary). Try using a heart rate monitor when you exercise (mfp is just an estimate of cals burnt). Drink 2 litres of water a day. Come back in two weeks and report your progress.

^^^^ this. I too looked at a few of your food diary days and I see way way too much junk foods/snacks, high carbed foods, fast foods, pre-cooked foods.

If you really want to lose weight, you need to cut back on the junk, start making your foods from scratch, that way you know exactly what you are eating. I am not saying you can't have a small bag of chips, cheese puffs, candy etc. Just have one a day, not 5-10.

If you really want to lose weight, then you need to change your eating habits. Those habits are what got you where you are today, so do you really think you can lose weight by eating all the same foods you did to get where you are today????

SIGH. You do know that I live in a family with 5 other people? 3 are kids. I spent a long time eating healthy. I even cut out my treat night now. That was difficult for me. You people look at my food diary. Then you fail to see how much exercise I do. I'm pretty damn active. You do know back in the olden days, they used to drink full fat milk blah blah. They stayed thin through exercise. And I am doing a very large amount of it. I do know I need to change it to healthier. But it's very hard for me to get back on that track. I love my savoury food, and ever since little I have loved crisps.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    give it time if you just started exercise you could hold water. I checked your diary to see if I can help. You should lose weight if your eating at a deficit but if I were you I would replace some of the chips and chocolates with some nuts and fruits and veggies. You shouldn't worry too much about fats unless they are trans fat or saturated as long as they fit in the daily allowance for all the nutients. If you wan't low carbs green veggies are good. You could make meals with fish and chicken. You will have to consume calories from fat or protein to meet your daily requirements. I feel ****ty if I don't eat enough carbs so I try to eat more whole wheat or fruits and veggies.

Thank you for being supportive. I will try these options.
  • lulabellarama
    lulabellarama Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You need to get less angry. You're asking for advice and people are giving it.
    Yes, you may be able to eat junk food and stay within your calories, but it looks like you are way overestimating your calories burned. You are also eating a lot of high sodium, high fat, over processed food.
    If you are serious about losing weight and getting healthy you will need to change your eating habits - A LOT. I know many fit people who have occasional junk meals, but you are eating it every day.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    To all the people thinking I WANT to give up for real, you don't know my situation. I do not want to give up for real, I just felt like that at the time. I have lost 20 pounds doing another thing, slimming world, which wasn't working anymore. I've done more work over the last two years losing weight than you probably have. I am sick of going through not losing weight each week. sick of it. losing weight for me, when I'm good at staying under calories, etc, is still really hard obviously. Some people on here have a really negative attitude. Who do you think you are telling me that I'm 'not ready' for MFP. That is so rude. And talking about turds is really gross. I don't like that.

Any new exercise regime, will cause your body to reserve more water temporarily for muscle repair. This generally drops away within a week or two. Don't worry, keep going.

Make sure you:

1) are eating enough to support the activity level you are undertaking (ie your deficit is moderate)

2) are accurately logging both your food and exercise burns

3) give yourself a couple of months.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    Did I ever say I did not want responses? Of course I did. I was not expecting some people to be harsh though. Not everyone is but some are and it's really upset me.
  • S3r3knitty
    S3r3knitty Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Make one change: don't eat your exercise calories back. Again, you may not be burning what the data base says. If you make ONE change, make that one and see what happens (and water). Keep dancing and walking.
    Additionaly I wouldn't record "going to shops and back" and "vacuuming" as exercise and I am not sure what "dawdling around" is but don't record it. Generally I wouldn't enter activities that you would anyway do. You did all theses things before too and it didn't stop you from gaining weight.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    Yes, you may be able to eat junk food and stay within your calories, but it looks like you are way overestimating your calories burned. You are also eating a lot of high sodium, high fat, over processed food.
    If you are serious about losing weight and getting healthy you will need to change your eating habits - A LOT. I know many fit people who have occasional junk meals, but you are eating it every day.

I know, but I am really overwhelmed. I probably am overestimating calories, but that's not my fault, but an app I am using. With zumba, you burn a lot of calories, so i think that is fine. Bellydancing also does, and the walk I did the other day seemed accurate., Other things may not be. I am thinking of getting a fitbit flex. I used to eat insanely healthy, but there comes a time when a person needs a break. I've been insanely healthy for two years with slimming world, and now I need a break, so that is why my diary is filled with junk. I have said though I am going to rectify it and be healthy again.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight and more importantly keep it off really think about what you're eating. Your diary seems to be crips, crisp a few more crips and some crackers! You say others are negative yet all you're doing is moaning! I'm sorry but if you really want to lose weight and want to keep it off you need to change your habits. You can eat what you're eating, stay with in calorie goal and lose weight undoubtedly but the second you stop tracking you'll pile it all back on plus some. I know - I'm talking from my own experience. I still eat stuff I like but less of it and less often, I've switched full size chocolate bars for treat size, large packets of Haribo for small. I make sure most of my calories most of the time come from veg & lean meat and I drink gallons of water a day (and no full sugar soda!). I have a diet I can stick to forever and the weight is coming off slowly but constantly (and is actually coming off quicker than it went on at the moment!). I hit the gym 5-6 times a week and am fitter now than I've probably ever been which at 41 years old and still obese is a depressing indictment of how unfit I was!).

Weigh, measure and track everything. Be honest with yourself - the rest of us ultimately don't have a vested interest in your success or failure, so if you lie in your diary, or guess weights thoe only person you're hurting is yourself. If you really want to lose weight stop looking for quick fixes, reasons to get the hump with others and all the other excuses you are using to block yourself. The mental change and gaining self-responsibility is a big part of this weight loss thing! If you want to do this you can. This may seem harsh but from what you're writing here I see myself even up to last year and it doesn't work. Good luck :)
  • lulabellarama
    lulabellarama Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Did I ever say I did not want responses? Of course I did. I was not expecting some people to be harsh though. Not everyone is but some are and it's really upset me.

Well, to be honest it seems like you need a few home truths.
    You can carry on justifying your food intake and over estimated burns but it won't make anything change. You haven't lost weight this week, if you acknowledged where you were going wrong you'd stand a good chance of losing next week and every week from then on, but I'm not sure you seem willing to accept that what you're doing won't work.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    Make one change: don't eat your exercise calories back. Again, you may not be burning what the data base says. If you make ONE change, make that one and see what happens (and water). Keep dancing and walking.
    Additionaly I wouldn't record "going to shops and back" and "vacuuming" as exercise and I am not sure what "dawdling around" is but don't record it. Generally I wouldn't enter activities that you would anyway do. You did all theses things before too and it didn't stop you from gaining weight.

I don't use the database as I find some things people put in aren't accurate, and why use it anyway for exercise when everyone has a different body and burns differently. I use an app called 'cardio trainer', so if my exercise is inaccurate, it is down to that. The shop I went to, took quite awhile to get to and back. holding shopping bags and walking there and back up stairs, up a hill, along pathways is actually quite a workout. So I will keep recording that as you don't know what that workout is like. My fitness is pretty good so it didn't affect me much, but I still felt worked out. I actually did not do these things before when I was fat, I would dance and things but wouldn't walk to the shops or vacuum. Since I lost 20 pounds and became thin, and my fitness level got better I did these things, and not even for exercise, but because I'm recovering from agoraphobia and need to get out as much as possible.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Cut out most of the junk (I looked at your food diary) and weigh your food (don't eye ball and be honest in your diary). Try using a heart rate monitor when you exercise (mfp is just an estimate of cals burnt). Drink 2 litres of water a day. Come back in two weeks and report your progress.

^^^^ this. I too looked at a few of your food diary days and I see way way too much junk foods/snacks, high carbed foods, fast foods, pre-cooked foods.

If you really want to lose weight, you need to cut back on the junk, start making your foods from scratch, that way you know exactly what you are eating. I am not saying you can't have a small bag of chips, cheese puffs, candy etc. Just have one a day, not 5-10.

If you really want to lose weight, then you need to change your eating habits. Those habits are what got you where you are today, so do you really think you can lose weight by eating all the same foods you did to get where you are today????

SIGH. You do know that I live in a family with 5 other people? 3 are kids. I spent a long time eating healthy. I even cut out my treat night now. That was difficult for me. You people look at my food diary. Then you fail to see how much exercise I do. I'm pretty damn active. You do know back in the olden days, they used to drink full fat milk blah blah. They stayed thin through exercise. And I am doing a very large amount of it. I do know I need to change it to healthier. But it's very hard for me to get back on that track. I love my savoury food, and ever since little I have loved crisps.

Ok, you posted asking for our help. Most of us are saying the same thing and you are arguing your reasonings of why you eat like you do. Fine keep eating the way you do, but I highly doubt you will lose the weight. As you OP stated, you have gained. HELLO. But you can argue it till your blue in the face. If you REALLY want to lose the weight, then stop making excuses and start eating better, more nutritious foods, and cut out all the junk/fast foods, candies etc.

As far as the excuse goes, I live with my parents, and little kids... So what, so do many of MFP'ers, you are an adult (if your not, get off MFP, you must be 18yrs old to be here). As an adult, if talking to your parents doesn't let them know, you want to eat a little differently to be healthier and lose weight, then go buy your own food and start making your OWN meals, Your an adult now. Kids eat differently, but then again, you could set a good example for the kids in the house too, so they don't have the same issues of being over weight like you do.

I am sure you will spit and sputter at this response too... What ever, it is your life, Live with it the way it is and keep gaining, or start to listen to what the majority of people here are saying. We are only trying to help you, but not get cursed out by you ! ! ! !
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options

I don't use the database as I find some things people put in aren't accurate, and why use it anyway for exercise when everyone has a different body and burns differently. I use an app called 'cardio trainer', so if my exercise is inaccurate, it is down to that. The shop I went to, took quite awhile to get to and back. holding shopping bags and walking there and back up stairs, up a hill, along pathways is actually quite a workout. So I will keep recording that as you don't know what that workout is like. My fitness is pretty good so it didn't affect me much, but I still felt worked out. I actually did not do these things before when I was fat, I would dance and things but wouldn't walk to the shops or vacuum. Since I lost 20 pounds and became thin, and my fitness level got better I did these things, and not even for exercise, but because I'm recovering from agoraphobia and need to get out as much as possible. Oh and yeah I know I shouldn't record the dawdling thing, it's just something that happened, Kind of pointless. Vacuuming actually makes me sweat though so I'm going to keep recording that. In slimming world, they would even say going to get a cup of tea is exercise. Even though that isn't. Compared to that, vacuuming is. You have to move around a lot, bend down and up, it makes me sweaty.
  • zx6r_chick
    zx6r_chick Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That is an awesome way of putting it.. water + turd = 2lbs. lmao
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    To all the people thinking I WANT to give up for real, you don't know my situation. I do not want to give up for real, I just felt like that at the time. I have lost 20 pounds doing another thing, slimming world, which wasn't working anymore. I've done more work over the last two years losing weight than you probably have. I am sick of going through not losing weight each week. sick of it. losing weight for me, when I'm good at staying under calories, etc, is still really hard obviously. Some people on here have a really negative attitude. Who do you think you are telling me that I'm 'not ready' for MFP. That is so rude. And talking about turds is really gross. I don't like that.
    Okay, I was nice the first time.

You are full of excuses and looking to put the blame elsewhere. FYI, turds really can weigh more than 2lbs, and that's not gross unless you're a child - it's just a fact you need to consider. Chores are not exercise either - they're part of the calculated calorie intake you're given, so don't record them and use them to justify eating more.

Quit the whining, woe is me nonsense, and don't get angry when people tell you to be realistic. Time to start being an adult and take some responsibility.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options

I know, but I am really overwhelmed. I probably am overestimating calories, but that's not my fault, but an app I am using. With zumba, you burn a lot of calories, so i think that is fine. Bellydancing also does, and the walk I did the other day seemed accurate., Other things may not be. I am thinking of getting a fitbit flex. I used to eat insanely healthy, but there comes a time when a person needs a break. I've been insanely healthy for two years with slimming world, and now I need a break, so that is why my diary is filled with junk. I have said though I am going to rectify it and be healthy again.

If you want to see "Healthy eating" look at my food diary. Sure I have a goody once in a blue moon, but I eat very healthy over all. I eat 3 main meals and 3 snacks a day (but my snacks are healthy snacks) and I average between 1200 to 1300 calories a day. I eat A LOT of foods too. take a peek
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

Excuses.

I could say that I am 35, have 2 kids, work full time, have a 2 hour total commute to work each day, have a fused big toe that limits my mobility, blah, blah, blah, blah....I STILL work out 4-6 times per week. I still watch what I eat (I don't really log much as I don't need to right now). I get it, I honestly do. I was you once. I thought I could do it with little effort. You have excuses and if you don't see them as that then you aren't going to try to find ways to still do it without using them. Yes, some of us have been pretty harsh on you, and I apologize. You seem to just need some type of wake up call that you need to change a few more things to be as successful as you seem to want to be.
  • rileyhall00
    Options
    Weight can go up and down like a yo-yo. I only weight once a week. But if you feel the need to do it daily, then I would average it so you have a more accurate number.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I was hoping I would have a large water loss the first week, but instead, it took me two weeks to lose 1 pound. But then things got a little better!!!
  • steve2kay
    steve2kay Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Just skimming this it seems there have been some pretty harsh replies - but I think also some pretty good information and advice. I don't really have much to add other than to say that I've seen some really helpful people on MFP willing to give their time and support if you're willing to help yourself .
    So don't be disheartened by some of the harsh replies, read the good advice in this thread - it may not be what you want to hear but it's from experienced people who have been there and done it.

good luck