Military is now trying to give dress codes for civilians!

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Question is do they have the right to tell the people who visit there what they can and can not wear.

Of course they do. It's private property
  • Daniloveshockey94
    Daniloveshockey94 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    It's their right, the base! I don't see any problem with this rule! You are serving the in US army, navy or the marines! Oh by the way as people have said before its only on base, not off base!! So therefore the military is NOT trying to give civilians dress codes!!
  • greenhudler
    Options
    I can see why this generation would have a problem with this as they are the problem. As a vet, and someone who has one child entering military service next year when he graduates from college and another one considering it in a year after he finishes law school, I have no problem with any of this when I was in or now that I am not. This generation needs to learn what the word respect means, not only for themselves but for others as well.

Jonathan
    Not to be argumentative, but I hate when people generalize an entire group of people. Some of the most well spoken and respectful people, and "well dressed," I have met recently have been teenagers rather than people from an older generation. Every generation feels this way about the one after them. Adults in the 50s thought the teenagers of the 60s were rebellious and disrespectful, 60s thought this of the 70s, 70s of the 80s...so on and so forth. It's nothing new, we just perceive it that way. :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Off duty means military members who are not currently in uniform. Not civilians.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    inaccurate post is inaccurate
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Also, even if this was for civilians, of course they have the right.

When you go on base you give up a lot of your rights. They don't need probable cause to search your vehicle or your person for instance. My car gets searched pretty regularly at the random security check-points.

If you live on base you give up the right to have a gun in your home. At least you do here. Guns have to be checked into the armory before you can go on base. You can get them back when you leave.

If I were concerned about the military infringing on civilian rights, I'd be a lot more concerned about those examples than I would be about a potential dress code.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    It is right for them to do and I applaud them for doing it. Not only the military member but the dependents on base as well need to not dress like they are in prison or at a club. Alot of overseas Air Force bases and some stateside bases enforce these same rules. I wish that cities could enforce some of these same rules. (pants sagging, undergarmets showing, etc)

Also, on another note they should make it a federal law against fat chicks wearing half shirts! They call them half shirts for a reason....half the woman wearing them shouldnt be! LOL

Well aren't you just a peach...
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    its all on post/base yes not off anyone that is on them must not break the dress code.

Question is do they have the right to tell the people who visit there what they can and can not wear.

Sure, why not?
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    inaccurate post is inaccurate

Yep.
  • mikej1978
    mikej1978 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    It is right for them to do and I applaud them for doing it. Not only the military member but the dependents on base as well need to not dress like they are in prison or at a club. Alot of overseas Air Force bases and some stateside bases enforce these same rules. I wish that cities could enforce some of these same rules. (pants sagging, undergarmets showing, etc)

Also, on another note they should make it a federal law against fat chicks wearing half shirts! They call them half shirts for a reason....half the woman wearing them shouldnt be! LOL

I just think it is digusting seeing woman with half their body hanging out in clothes that are way too small for them.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    LOL...I thought it said pajamas with HORSEshoes. I was like, Yeah! NOBODY should wear that!!!!!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxg-C8F00o3gEJRxseB-h_AeMbBesMMZTs-vLhA5DVNkucWtXNcg
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    My experience has been once you are on a military base you are then governed by military law enlisted, civilian or otherwise.
    Frankly i'm envious If i could impose most of those standards on the general public it would save a lot wishful eye gouging.

Love it!

Absolutely! They have to enforce it BC there is very little respect and common sense walking around these days!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

I just think it is digusting seeing woman with half their body hanging out in clothes that are way too small for them.

Yup, a peach.

Let's shame the way people look and dress in the same sentence.

ETA: The military certainly has the right to enforce dress codes in the same way any other institution (school, business, etc) has a right to enforce dress codes.
  • hikezilla
    hikezilla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    its all on post/base yes not off anyone that is on them must not break the dress code.

Yes. They do. As a matter of fact, the gate security can refuse your access to the base for any reason they dream up.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    It says "Prohibited OFF DUTY ATTIRE" ... unless you consider yourself an on duty civilian it doesn't apply to you. It is i reference to Military personnel who are off duty (ie out of uniform). They signed away their civil rights when they joined the military. They come under Military Law, so yeah they have to comply, I don't. Not that it's an issue for me, I don't dress like a gangs-ta! :laugh:
  • mikej1978
    Options

Yup, a peach.

Let's shame the way people look and dress in the same sentence.

ETA: The military certainly has the right to enforce dress codes in the same way any other institution (school, business, etc) has a right to enforce dress codes.

I have no problem with "bigger people" just stop trying to squeeze into crap 3-4 sizes too small
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    If you live on or near a military post you might have to watch what your wear regardless of your military status. This kind of poster will be posted around the post and is enforced. Is this going to far? What is YOUR opinion....

dress-code-irwin.jpg

Its their property not yours. They can make you do whatever they want. When you invite them over to your place then you can make the rules.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    :grumble: Way to inaccurately spread mistruths about the military.
    It's only directed towards MILITARY personnel on base during their non-working times. They aren't going around giving tickets to civilians outside of base area, although... I wouldn't mind never having to see someone's buttcrack or underwear again unless I decide that I want to see it on my own terms.
  • mikej1978
    Options
    :grumble: Way to inaccurately spread mistruths about the military.
    It's only directed towards MILITARY personnel on base during their non-working times. They aren't going around giving tickets to civilians outside of base area, although... I wouldn't mind never having to see someone's buttcrack or underwear again unless I decide that I want to see it on my own terms.

^^^THIS^^^