Fat girl dead-lifting (competition report!)

nz_deevaa
nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
A year ago I posted a thread called Fat girl dead-lifting, about hitting a PB of a 90kg dead-lift and how it reminded me of just how far I've come.

Yesterday, after much pushing by some of MFP friends, I competed in my first Powerlifting Competition.

It was a 'Push/Pull' so only bench (push) and dead-lifts (pull).

We started out with Bench. I was really nervous, and dropped my opener to 55kg / 120lbs 'to be safe'.

After asking about 8 people about the calls, I forgot to wait for the 'press' call, and so got 3 red lights.

This made me even more nervous. Everyone on the platform was really kind and supportive, and one guy 'coached' me before I went out for my second lift "Wait for the calls. Don't rush. You can lift this, you know you can. Just don't rush."

As I walked onto the platform, one of the spotters looked me in the eye and said "Davena, you've got this. Wait for the calls."

My 2nd attempt was perfect.

My 3rd attempt was meant to be 70kg / 155lbs, but due to my nerves I dropped it back to 65kg/143lbs.

Top of my 65kg bench.

11147449135_c3854361f8.jpg

3 white lights. Phew.

After my last bench. Someone fell through the ceiling. (I'm not making this up!), so there was a pause in competition while we waited for the ambulance. I think he dislocated his shoulder, there was post on the website this morning saying he was OK.

This pause, and the fact that it was really hot rattled me a bit, and I didn't feel great before my deadlifts.

An 18yr old girl had been warming up with me, and said "Want to use my bar?" I said sure then walked over and noticed she had 130kg / 286lbs on it. That was meant to be my final lift! I knew I was in trouble! LOL. She went on to lift 185kg / 407lbs. Luckily she wasn't in my age/weight class!

My opener (110kg / 242lbs) went up easily and I got 3 white lights, but as I walked off the platform, the side judge told me that I had 'soft knees' and that I should watch that next time.

My 2nd lift 120kg / 265lbs (equal to my PB) also went up easily, but I got one red light from the side judge, who again mentioned my soft knees.

This is my third lift (125kg / 275lbs) got two red lights for 'Soft knees' ... so obviously this is something that I'm going to have to work on with my trainer. You can see in the photo that my form isn't great, I was so focused on my knees I forgot everything else.

11147362104_a264ef57a7.jpg

Sad face when I saw the lights.

11147620023_a8105f3111.jpg

In the end, I got a silver medal for my weight class.

Huzzah!

TL;DR

Silver medal. Yay.

11147367164_1ff10dce65.jpg

Replies

• moepwr
    moepwr Posts: 335 Member
    Congrats! Great job!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    So awesome! Congrats to you.
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Wow!!! You did so great! That is a wonderful story and thank you for sharing!

Good luck in your continued fitness goals!!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Love this! Congrats!!!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    SO PROUD OF YOU! Overcame the fear of the onesie and just got out there and do your thing. I'm sure you understand what I mean about all the behind the scenes support from competitors now. And yeah, I think everyone misses a call in their first comp. Well done! And don't forget that where you are competing is one of the strongest gyms in Australia (maybe the world?) so don't feel bad at all if you see other people lifting more. It's all motivation to get stronger for me :smile: Seeing what is possible!

So, doing States in March then? :smile: Nationals is on the Gold Coast in June. Nice time of year for a holiday.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Davena, nice results for your first competition. At least you know what to work on to improve for your next show in regards to the knees. And for an 18 yr old girl to deadlift 400 lbs is quite impressive.
  • You go, girl!
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Well done! Thanks for sharing!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    UNH UNH UHN UNH BAMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!
  • nz_deevaa
    SO PROUD OF YOU! Overcame the fear of the onesie and just got out there and do your thing. I'm sure you understand what I mean about all the behind the scenes support from competitors now. And yeah, I think everyone misses a call in their first comp. Well done! And don't forget that where you are competing is one of the strongest gyms in Australia (maybe the world?) so don't feel bad at all if you see other people lifting more. It's all motivation to get stronger for me :smile: Seeing what is possible!

So, doing States in March then? :smile: Nationals is on the Gold Coast in June. Nice time of year for a holiday.

Thanks Chris, as we were leaving Marko's said "So States in March?" ... I'm not sure clearly I need to work on my dead-lift. Pretty happy with my bench, even though I didn't go for 70kg.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    OMG you so freaking ROCK!!! Congratulations. You did a fantastic job!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    So full of freaking win!
  • nz_deevaa
    Davena, nice results for your first competition. At least you know what to work on to improve for your next show in regards to the knees. And for an 18 yr old girl to deadlift 400 lbs is quite impressive.

There were some really impressive lifts on the day.

Freda Mazzon benched 112.5kg / 248lbs and went on to deadlift 192.5kg / 424lbs. SO STRONG.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Thanks for sharing! Enjoyed reading your experience :flowerforyou:

I'm def better at benching than deadlifting and also need to work on deadlifting. Keep up the great work. Congrats!
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    tumblr_m90r0wyRTv1r85spro2_500.gif
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    WOW just WOW!!! Congratulations,you are amazing. :drinker:
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    My hero! :heart: :love:

You are awesome.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    great job!
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Amazing!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't be brave enough to do that.
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    You're awesome woman! ...♥
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!