Fat Chance: Fructose 2.0 (Dr. Robert Lustig)

Options
124»

Replies

• TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Its in my best interest to stay away from it. I have to wear gloves to bake and decorate cakes for family members and friends as the powdered sugar absorbs into my hands and causes blood sugar highs that my Dr and I could not figure out where they were coming from.

ummmm... what?!
    Huh!? I'm going to assume you're trolling at this point.

is she sure it's sugar? oh wait, even the fun stuff can't be absorbed in that way. I'm out of ideas.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Is your endo the one that's a naturopath and believes in hocus pocus like homeopathy?

Because it's better to just throw drugs at an illness and not pay attention to what's causing it and trying to treat that instead?

I'm assuming you just don't know what homeopathy is.

a system of complementary medicine in which ailments are treated by minute doses of natural substances that in larger amounts would produce symptoms of the ailment.

The poster called naturopathy and homopahty hocus pocus. It seems that they would rather throw random drugs at something than try and figure out what the issue is and treat it in a natural way.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Is your endo the one that's a naturopath and believes in hocus pocus like homeopathy?

Because it's better to just throw drugs at an illness and not pay attention to what's causing it and trying to treat that instead?

Well technically that's not throwing drugs at it . . . exactly . . .
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Its in my best interest to stay away from it. I have to wear gloves to bake and decorate cakes for family members and friends as the powdered sugar absorbs into my hands and causes blood sugar highs that my Dr and I could not figure out where they were coming from.

ummmm... what?!

Uh yeah..what? Blood sugar high via baking osmosis?

Stop the ignorance.

It is not osmosis. That is idiotic. The powdered sugar absorbs through the pores in the skin causing blood sugar highs.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

ummmm... what?!

Stop the ignorance.

It is not osmosis. That is idiotic. The powdered sugar absorbs through the pores in the skin causing blood sugar highs.

skin.jpg

it absorbs through the pores and past the dermis to your blood stream?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

ummmm... what?!

is she sure it's sugar? oh wait, even the fun stuff can't be absorbed in that way. I'm out of ideas.

Yes, I am sure it is sugar. I have talked to the Dietician, Endocrinologist and others regarding this. I am not the only person that this happens to.

The Dietician I see told me she knows a lady that owned a bakery that had to sell her bakery because she was not able to stabilize her blood sugar due to the constant handling of sugar products and the absorption that occurs.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Yes, those threads prompted me to post but this is a new video and if it's been talked about here it wasn't recently. I know the majority of people who post to these forums aren't interested in what Lustig has to say and aren't concerned about their sugar intake so don't see any reason to read or click on any links -- and that's fine -- but it's not the same information even if the conclusion is much the same.

Well, from what I've seen the main reason why people aren't interested in what he says is because there is no real science behind it. If there is, I've never seen it. I've not done a ton of research on this person as whenever I hear someone say, "Sugar is evil and the cause of all of our woa's!" I tend to tune them out. Sugar isn't bad. Fat isn't bad. Protein isn't bad. The issue is OVER CONSUMPTION. Sugar may be one of the easier ones to blame, but it isn't the CAUSE. But the cure is moderation. People don't really listen to that word and assume when you say, "Eat everything in moderation." that what you are really saying is eat all the sugar you want! No, it means in moderation. So yeah, when these zealots without true research are posted, it riles everyone up.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options

ummmm... what?!

Stop the ignorance.

once again, what?!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

a system of complementary medicine in which ailments are treated by minute doses of natural substances that in larger amounts would produce symptoms of the ailment.

The poster called naturopathy and homopahty hocus pocus. It seems that they would rather throw random drugs at something than try and figure out what the issue is and treat it in a natural way.

Yup, you don't know what homeopathy is.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    It's a no brainer that obesity does not CAUSE diabetes but is a symptom of the same disease. But posting here is a waste of your time and energy. It's totally lost on most people that what one eats affects health. If it's sold in the store it can't possibly be bad for us, because the government protects us and food manufacturers would never lie or work to make their food-like products as addictive as possible, because they aren't at all trying to sell as much as possible at all costs..... Ignorance is bliss.

Paranoia is bliss.

Actually wait, it's probably pretty tiring.

Its nasty and wasteful comments such as yours that she is speaking of.

You just don't get it. One day you will. Can't stand sheeple. Blindly follow the status quo because someone said it is true.

I was brought up and raised to question everything and I am better off in doing so.

If you've questioned sugar AND done your own research you would have found that Lustig uses SURVEY data (meaning just asking people instead of actually observing or testing in a controlled manner) spanning from 1989-1995 on children aged 2-17. The flaws in his data come from asking not observing, out of date and about children.

You have not heard me say one way or another whether I believe Lustig or not. I do believe he makes SOME valid points, even if he is not correct on everything he states.

No one is correct on everything they state.

I personally stay away from sugar because I am Diabetic, have PCOS and Metabolic Disorder along with recovering from a Pituitary tumor. So yeah, my body does not metabolize sugar well at all.

Now add in a diagnosis of Lupus and staying away from grains is a must.

Do I prefer to have to live this way. Hell No. But it is what it is. I see that our government agencies..........the ones that are supposed to protect us don't have our best interest at heart. They don't care what so ever.

I work with my Endocrinologist to adjust my eating and exercise plan as needed for my health and well being.

wear gloves, eat all the powdered donuts you want.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

ummmm... what?!

Yes, I am sure it is sugar. I have talked to the Dietician, Endocrinologist and others regarding this. I am not the only person that this happens to.

The Dietician I see told me she knows a lady that owned a bakery that had to sell her bakery because she was not able to stabilize her blood sugar due to the constant handling of sugar products and the absorption that occurs.

How would you count those calories?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this items:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting.This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

In many cases we are able to edit out the posts that violate this guideline, but unfortunately this particular thread has become too volatile to moderate efficiently.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,

psuLemon
This discussion has been closed.