Obese...with defined abs?!

Options
13»

Replies

• wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the great progress.

Since you asked the question in the title, no, those aren't abs. It's an absence of adipose tissue in some areas of your stomach that have caused a 'dent', creating shadows and giving the appearance of abs. I have the same thing going on. Those shadowed areas are not my abs, just pattern of fat distribution that causes shadows.

e0737975-75ea-4343-a6d5-aa03dbc577c3_zps078f2d8c.jpg

Don't let it discourage you though. Keep up the great work and you'll see those abs one day.

Good luck!

THIS...doing great. It is a journey over time. Focus on some NSV's (non-scale victories) to help you.....easier movement, more energy, increased strength, etc. You WILL get there!
  • mrsward2010
    mrsward2010 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    you are doing great! One of the best things i have done whilst losing weight is strength training and core work. although i am far from wash board abs i know they are in there somewhere especially when i have a good core work out! keep up the hard work and you'll soon see alot more definition! xx
  • Chunky2Healthy
    Options
    I think you are doing a great job - once you have lost a little more weight, with your dedication and persistence, I am sure you will see the abs you are already working on so very hard. You mention you feel the abdominal muscle and I'm sure it's there -- keep at it!

This, good job so far! :flowerforyou:
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    You have definitely lost some fat, great job!
    I don't see the abs, though.

Yeah, agree. Some amazing progress, and really really well done to you. Something to be proud of an motivation to keep going.

BUT, you won't see your abs until you're at around 19% BF I'm afraid.
  • minuz5
    minuz5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Nice Abs!

Totally!
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Looking good OP, Keep it up :)
  • mgorham13
    mgorham13 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I think I know where OP is coming from. Most of my adult life my stomach has just been a huge round undefined blob, fast forward 90lbs lost and it's like holy crap "I can actually see the outline of what appears to be a stomach" it's not defined abs but it is great progress. She is starting to see where her midsection begins and ends as did I and that's a great thing.

So I think that's where the confusion comes in. The other comments range from funny but rude to extremely patronizing. IMHO patronizing is the worst offense of all, if it ever comes up please use humor to insult me. Thanks
  • lovemykids58
    lovemykids58 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You have definitely lost some fat, great job!
    I don't see the abs,

I agree

^^
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    why was this re-bumped from six months ago?
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    this is my favorite topic. glad its back :)
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    From what I've read you just started last month. You have a long journey ahead of you, don't rush it. One thing I've learned (as impatient as I am) is to not rush results, they will come. Instead, focus on your training and meals. Preparation is the key and if you're prepared and know what your doing the next day, week, month when it comes to your fitness goals and nutrition you will be sure to succeed. Good luck.

Fantastic reply and also a timely reminder for me.
  • Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    ABS are a name for a muscle group, everyone has them, definition is visible/not visible based upon what is covering them. I like to say I have six-pack abs, they're just in the fridge!
  • MissSaturday
    MissSaturday Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    ABS are a name for a muscle group, everyone has them, definition is visible/not visible based upon what is covering them. I like to say I have six-pack abs, they're just in the fridge!

Lmao
  • AngelaMcAuleyGlenn
    Options
    Inkratlet wrote: »

Since you asked the question in the title, no, those aren't abs. It's an absence of adipose tissue in some areas of your stomach that have caused a 'dent', creating shadows and giving the appearance of abs. I have the same thing going on. Those shadowed areas are not my abs, just pattern of fat distribution that causes shadows.

e0737975-75ea-4343-a6d5-aa03dbc577c3_zps078f2d8c.jpg

Don't let it discourage you though. Keep up the great work and you'll see those abs one day.

Good luck!

Thank you! To the person making childish comments about the OPs photos - here is an example of supportive honesty.

I have that too, and wondered if it's a shadow of the abdominal muscles underneath but what you say makes sense.

FWIW if I poke my finger through the chub on my stomach I can feel abs, and I have far more range in leg raises than I used to, so I know it's happening.

OP, awesome weight loss!

We all HAVE abs! I just have a little more ways to go before anyone else might know they are in there somewhere.
  • AngelaMcAuleyGlenn
    Options
    Thanks for posting the supporting photo and comments. I just googled "absence of adipose tissue" because I have the same thing going on!
  • KeepGoinGirl
    KeepGoinGirl Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Great job, keep it up!
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your accomplishments so far, dont listen to all the naysayers in this post
  • eshnna
    eshnna Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread :/
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »

Good luck!

Yup, mine is like that too. I still let people think it's abs. ;)

Edit, zombie thread :D
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!