Nutella is the Devil

Options

Replies

• adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Ever visited Paris? You will see Nutella filled crepes everywhere! And I mean everywhere. Even street food vendors.

In paris I had a giant waffle with lashings of Nutella. It was heaven. Then I went to Venice and had a Nutella crepe.

<<<<<<<<<< Then I had a lot of gelato

It was a good holiday.
  • mommyelly85
    Options
    It is REALLY delicious that's for sure!!!! I love that stuff, but it is certainly in the category of chocolate and candy. But like eve4rything you can enjoy it in small quantities. Try it on a plain rice cake so you feel less guilty about it and you fill up more.
  • shesapear
    shesapear Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think foods are what you make of them. No food is evil. If you like it, make it fit into your daily nutrient/calorie needs and move on. No need to dwell on trivial things. I love Nutella.

^^This^^ I love it...my girls put it on their apples and bananas.. No biggie
  • foxruddellc1
    foxruddellc1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I had nutella for the first time the other day. I bought it for a recipe I was making for Thanksgiving (Hazelnut Mocha Tarts) and HOLY *kitten*- that stuff is ridiculously yummy. However, upon label inspection, it is also ridiculously bad for you.

The reason I never tried it before is, I figured it was probably akin to Ovaltine- the commercials always touted it as a sort of 'healthy' hazelnut spread, similar to, say, peanut butter; as we all know, Ovaltine is disgusting and anyone who drinks it wouldn't know delicious if it bit them.

Now that I'm in the know, what baffles me is, I have friends who are health conscious and pride themselves on eating well and making good choices, not giving their kids things with 'red 40' etc... but are proud to give their children nutella for breakfast every day. With three times more fat than protein, lots of sugar and virtually no fiber, I personally don't think it's the best breakfast item out there.

Thoughts?

I LOVE Ovaltine!!! Don't hate on it!!! It's a treat from my childhood that my grandma always made me. No, it isn't great for you, but like anything else, it's fine in small doses.
    As to Nutrella being a breakfast food, it's on the same level as sugary cereals. It's a society belief, and those friends are buying into it. But 1 Tbls a few times a week will not kill these children, make them unhealthy or obese.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I think foods are what you make of them. No food is evil. If you like it, make it fit into your daily nutrient/calorie needs and move on. No need to dwell on trivial things. I love Nutella.

I'm being satirical, and purposefully (trying) to be provocative with the title. :) I'm of the IIFYM mindset, so whatever works for someone is cool with me. And I love nutella too, that stuff is too yum to not love. I just find it ironic and funny that people think it's 'healthy'...
    Why isn't it "healthy?" What's wrong with fat? Hazelnuts are pretty well known for their healthy fat, and chocolate is also pretty well known for its health benefits (antioxidants, etc.)
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Everyone knows that the food of demonspawn is haggis. :devil:
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I love nutella but it's more addictive than crack. I put nutella on pizzelles for a nice dessert but I have to limit myself to 2. It's all about portion control. I don't think any foods are "evil" per se but there are trigger foods for me than I have to really limit myself. I still log it for my calories and then helps me stay on track. I try to have healthier snacks like fresh fruits or a fruit salad. Maybe once a week I might splurge on a dessert like ice cream. I was over 400 pounds with a serious sugar addiction so I know what I'm taking about. Now that I have dropped over 200 pounds, maintenance is key and nutella is definitely not a staple for me but a very rare treat. It's not really worth the calories to me for the time I spend in the gym. I would rather eat something that fills me up more like a fresh fruit salad for my sweet tooth.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Nutella's commercials drive me NUTS for that same reason. I love Nutella, but I hate it when unhealthy foods try to market themselves as being nutritious. It's like when Wendy's switched to using sea salt on their french fries and were acting like eating the new fries would be the equivalent of eating a side of broccoli.

But yeah, Nutella is very tasty :)
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    What do you even put Nutella on?

For me it's just Nutella + Spoon
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Not reading all the responses so this might be a duplicate. But you can make it. Nothing wrong with fat - it's the extra sugar that gets me.

http://www.brookes-kitchen.com/2013/08/healthy-nutella-dairy-and-refined-sugar.html
  • catneon
    catneon Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    running_8eating3.png

Ooohhh look it's my hero!:love:
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    if you think nutella is deliciously evil, try the skippy natural dark chocolate peanut butter spread. MUCH better, health wise, I think. and it's less sweet, so I think it tastes better, myself. :)

Ooh, that sounds good!! Tks!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    Options

I'm being satirical, and purposefully (trying) to be provocative with the title. :) I'm of the IIFYM mindset, so whatever works for someone is cool with me. And I love nutella too, that stuff is too yum to not love. I just find it ironic and funny that people think it's 'healthy'...
    Why isn't it "healthy?" What's wrong with fat? Hazelnuts are pretty well known for their healthy fat, and chocolate is also pretty well known for its health benefits (antioxidants, etc.)

The amount of sugar and the fact that there is three times more fat than protein. Per a 2 Tbsp serving, there's 200 calories, 12g fat, 21g sugar and 2g protein. As a reference point, Reeses Peanut Butter Bells: 5 piece serving gets you 210 cals, 13g fat, 22 sugars and 3g protein. Are PB cups (or their bell versions) healthy? I guess so.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Sadly Nutella is just something I can't have in the house. I will eat the entire jar mindlessly. And since my will power over it is tiny, I just avoid it.

I love Ferrero Roches because Nutella is the filling....

Also if you haven't tried it since you are new to the "Nutella Scene" it is fabulous when added to hot coco...

Really? I had no idea.

THAT explains why I hate Ferrero Roches. Because Nutella just tastes like overly sweetened chocolate to me - and I'd rather have a nice dark chocolate OR hazelnut butter than that.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    Options
    I had nutella for the first time the other day. I bought it for a recipe I was making for Thanksgiving (Hazelnut Mocha Tarts) and HOLY *kitten*- that stuff is ridiculously yummy. However, upon label inspection, it is also ridiculously bad for you.

The reason I never tried it before is, I figured it was probably akin to Ovaltine- the commercials always touted it as a sort of 'healthy' hazelnut spread, similar to, say, peanut butter; as we all know, Ovaltine is disgusting and anyone who drinks it wouldn't know delicious if it bit them.

Now that I'm in the know, what baffles me is, I have friends who are health conscious and pride themselves on eating well and making good choices, not giving their kids things with 'red 40' etc... but are proud to give their children nutella for breakfast every day. With three times more fat than protein, lots of sugar and virtually no fiber, I personally don't think it's the best breakfast item out there.

Thoughts?

I LOVE Ovaltine!!! Don't hate on it!!! It's a treat from my childhood that my grandma always made me. No, it isn't great for you, but like anything else, it's fine in small doses.
    As to Nutrella being a breakfast food, it's on the same level as sugary cereals. It's a society belief, and those friends are buying into it. But 1 Tbls a few times a week will not kill these children, make them unhealthy or obese.

LOL, I don't hate Ovaltine, I was being superfluous in my description; although, I have only had ovaltine once, as a kid, and I was expecting hot cocoa. It was not, and it scarred me for life. As for it not making a kid unhealthy or obese by having it occasionally- well, this friend gives it to her son as a sandwich (instead of PB) every day for lunch. But will freak out if her husband gives him some doritos. I don't get the dichotomy. But again, to each their own!
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand why the FDA doesn't just force all food companies to add a pair of red horns to all foods that contain anything but miniscule amounts of fats/carbs/proteins...
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Nutella is the devil because if it's in the house, I have to eat it. Last time I ate half a jar (larger jar) in one sitting.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

The amount of sugar and the fact that there is three times more fat than protein. Per a 2 Tbsp serving, there's 200 calories, 12g fat, 21g sugar and 2g protein. As a reference point, Reeses Peanut Butter Bells: 5 piece serving gets you 210 cals, 13g fat, 22 sugars and 3g protein. Are PB cups (or their bell versions) healthy? I guess so.

If you're into IIFYM, then you should know that nothing is healthy/unhealthy. It's your relationship with food that determines how healthy YOU are. Everything in moderation. Sure, there's a lot of sugar. Sugar is a carb. We need carbs. Obviously we need protein and fat, too. It can work in anyone's diet if you choose to make it. Depending on the calorie thresh hold of an individual it may not be the most ideal choice, given the calories but it's doable and certainly doesn't make it "unhealthy". I guess that's my take on it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    IT IS. IT IS.

I've never ever met anyone who doesn't like Nutella. It's probably worse than pizza. You can have a single teaspoon and feel the HEAVEN
    In Italy you can have pizza with Nutella on top. THAT is eternal damnation....

That is damnation. You just ruined a perfectly good pizza.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    Options

If you're into IIFYM, then you should know that nothing is healthy/unhealthy. It's your relationship with food that determines how healthy YOU are. Everything in moderation. Sure, there's a lot of sugar. Sugar is a carb. We need carbs. Obviously we need protein and fat, too. It can work in anyone's diet if you choose to make it. Depending on the calorie thresh hold of an individual it may not be the most ideal choice, given the calories but it's doable and certainly doesn't make it "unhealthy". I guess that's my take on it.

I guess we have different ideas of IIFYM. Just because I can fit something into my dietary configuration does not make it healthy. And, I guess 'healthy' is subjective- for my part, when there's more fat and sugar (carbs, as you rightly point out) than protein, I consider it unhealthy. If you don't, that's cool. Rock on :drinker: