10 lbs? Yeah right.

1235»

Replies

• HannahInHawaii
    HannahInHawaii Posts: 173 Member
    People are getting a little frazzled because you just don't seem to get it even though you say that you do.

It is impossible to lose that much weight that fast and do it in a healthy manner. People have said this, but you act like you think it's possible when it isn't. That's a fact. Not really debatable. You would have to deprive your body of essential nutrients to eat a deficit large enough to lose a legit 10lbs that quick.

The Thanksgiving weight you added/lost was not fat. It was most likely water and food stored in your body and means nothing to the next 10lbs.

Anything is possible.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Your above attitude and description sounds good and good luck to you, but I hope you can be happy with/proud of 1-2lbs/week and not be disappointed if thats what happens after you got rid of the "turkey glut" weight :)

For perspective, as a guy who was a lot heavier than your start weight, I did lose 10lbs in one week one time, but I really don't want to do that again. I ate at a 1lb/wk loss rate with high protein, but I burned over 3,000 cals/day with daily weights + elliptical for about 2hrs while reading and also added in swimming/hiking....it was very tough, I was very tired in the end and I gained it all back shortly afterwards. I did it to prove I could and for a competition, but even knowing I can, I'd rather lose 1-2lbs/week now, as I'm doing, eating well, exercising in moderation. Anyways, your bodyweight is significantly lower, you have a lot less muscle than I did (unless you are a bodybuilder), and you don't plan to exercise 3-6+hrs/day, so don't feel bad if you don't make that fast of a loss (in fact feel good that you aren't) and just keep going after!

Remember, even though I've done that fast of a rate before and I've spent a year lowering slowly instead...if it were a good idea I'd do it the fast way and get it over with ;)

Oh even if I don't hit that goal I'll still be closer than I am now! Haha. I'm not going to bust my rear to get there either. Just changing some things around and seeing what happens! Thanks for your kind comment. :smile:

Then why bother even entertaining the thought of losing 10lbs in 10 days?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    People are getting a little frazzled because you just don't seem to get it even though you say that you do.

It is impossible to lose that much weight that fast and do it in a healthy manner. People have said this, but you act like you think it's possible when it isn't. That's a fact. Not really debatable. You would have to deprive your body of essential nutrients to eat a deficit large enough to lose a legit 10lbs that quick.

The Thanksgiving weight you added/lost was not fat. It was most likely water and food stored in your body and means nothing to the next 10lbs.

Anything is possible.

And that response is exactly why some think you are a troll.
  • HannahInHawaii
    Your above attitude and description sounds good and good luck to you, but I hope you can be happy with/proud of 1-2lbs/week and not be disappointed if thats what happens after you got rid of the "turkey glut" weight :)

For perspective, as a guy who was a lot heavier than your start weight, I did lose 10lbs in one week one time, but I really don't want to do that again. I ate at a 1lb/wk loss rate with high protein, but I burned over 3,000 cals/day with daily weights + elliptical for about 2hrs while reading and also added in swimming/hiking....it was very tough, I was very tired in the end and I gained it all back shortly afterwards. I did it to prove I could and for a competition, but even knowing I can, I'd rather lose 1-2lbs/week now, as I'm doing, eating well, exercising in moderation. Anyways, your bodyweight is significantly lower, you have a lot less muscle than I did (unless you are a bodybuilder), and you don't plan to exercise 3-6+hrs/day, so don't feel bad if you don't make that fast of a loss (in fact feel good that you aren't) and just keep going after!

Remember, even though I've done that fast of a rate before and I've spent a year lowering slowly instead...if it were a good idea I'd do it the fast way and get it over with ;)

Oh even if I don't hit that goal I'll still be closer than I am now! Haha. I'm not going to bust my rear to get there either. Just changing some things around and seeing what happens! Thanks for your kind comment. :smile:

Well why not??
  • no offense, but what is the obsession with seeing the number on the scale go down, eating healthy foods but not nearly enough, in just 8 days? :huh: you actually WANT to experiment putting your body through physical torment? you might not see it as torment, but it is. your body will reject this lifestyle really fast even if you convince yourself that it works and it's OK. just because you "feel good" because you're "eating clean" doesn't really mean anything if you are depriving your body of its most basic needs just to "experiment" and set a "goal" for yourself.

I see a lot of other posters trying to help you. You're very humble in your responses, but I'm not sure if you truly care about being healthy... or if you are intentionally wanting to remain ignorant about what this can do to your body in reality.

Good luck to you.

What is the torment part? How am I depriving my body of basic needs?

eating an egg and drinking green tea for one day and then absolutely nothing the day before? well, I guess that isn't torment after all especially if you eat healthy at least ONE day a week... :huh:

LOL! I ate more than that!! I just don't always log it! :laugh:
    by all means, I'm curious to read about your outcome. If you're coming back to repost on 12/13, hopefully you remain diligent in logging your foods until then (as to not to give others the impression that you were able to shed the pounds by eating pretty much nothing on most days and eating properly on some days).
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    To get weight loss to stick--- and be successful in my goals, I found I needed the following:

Set realistic expectations
    Be consistent with logging my food, exercise, and anything else that helped me reach my goal
    Be accurate in what I log

If we polled most of the other successful people on here, they will probably say the same thing.

These are good habits and qualities to develop. Otherwise, one may find themselves in the same or worse place a few days, weeks, or months from now.
  • HannahInHawaii
    no offense, but what is the obsession with seeing the number on the scale go down, eating healthy foods but not nearly enough, in just 8 days? :huh: you actually WANT to experiment putting your body through physical torment? you might not see it as torment, but it is. your body will reject this lifestyle really fast even if you convince yourself that it works and it's OK. just because you "feel good" because you're "eating clean" doesn't really mean anything if you are depriving your body of its most basic needs just to "experiment" and set a "goal" for yourself.

I see a lot of other posters trying to help you. You're very humble in your responses, but I'm not sure if you truly care about being healthy... or if you are intentionally wanting to remain ignorant about what this can do to your body in reality.

Good luck to you.

eating an egg and drinking green tea for one day and then absolutely nothing the day before? well, I guess that isn't torment after all especially if you eat healthy at least ONE day a week... :huh:

by all means, I'm curious to read about your outcome. If you're coming back to repost on 12/13, hopefully you remain diligent in logging your foods until then (as to not to give others the impression that you were able to shed the pounds by eating pretty much nothing on most days and eating properly on some days).

I plan to log everything (since yesterday) until the 13th. Of course I'll be back! No matter what the results are.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    She doesn't get it.
  • no offense, but what is the obsession with seeing the number on the scale go down, eating healthy foods but not nearly enough, in just 8 days? :huh: you actually WANT to experiment putting your body through physical torment? you might not see it as torment, but it is. your body will reject this lifestyle really fast even if you convince yourself that it works and it's OK. just because you "feel good" because you're "eating clean" doesn't really mean anything if you are depriving your body of its most basic needs just to "experiment" and set a "goal" for yourself.

Good luck to you.

I plan to log everything (since yesterday) until the 13th. Of course I'll be back! No matter what the results are.

okay okay. just to clarify though, so you're planning on eating at the calorie goal MFP set for you by eating vegan but you are experimenting to see if it has a greater impact on the rate of weight loss? THAT I see nothing wrong with... (even though calories in vs calories out is the key) but like @Hornsby said, 10lbs in just over a week is inarguably impossible if you are indeed trying to lose weight the healthy way.
  • Dragonwolf

Well why not??

Because even the most basic of math skills will tell you it's physically impossible to do so without either a) starving yourself (see comment that does the math that shows that you need to basically eat literally nothing and still burn an extra 500 calories per day to even reach that number on paper), or b) lopping off a limb.

If you truly believe that it's possible to lose that much that fast, then you need to step away from the magazine rack.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    no offense, but what is the obsession with seeing the number on the scale go down, eating healthy foods but not nearly enough, in just 8 days? :huh: you actually WANT to experiment putting your body through physical torment? you might not see it as torment, but it is. your body will reject this lifestyle really fast even if you convince yourself that it works and it's OK. just because you "feel good" because you're "eating clean" doesn't really mean anything if you are depriving your body of its most basic needs just to "experiment" and set a "goal" for yourself.

Good luck to you.

okay okay. just to clarify though, so you're planning on eating at the calorie goal MFP set for you by eating vegan but you are experimenting to see if it has a greater impact on the rate of weight loss? THAT I see nothing wrong with... (even though calories in vs calories out is what truly speeds weight loss) but like @Hornsby said, 10lbs in just over a week is inarguably impossible if you are indeed trying to lose weight the healthy way.

But by the power of Greyskull....
  • Dragonwolf
    She doesn't get it.

Yeah, I'm starting to agree with the others on the troll assessment... :ohwell:
  • CEMH1
    CEMH1 Posts: 33
    Healthy lifestyle is a journey not a race. Eat healthy, exercise and stay within a reasonable calorie deficit. It may not happen in the time you want but if you do the above you will get there. Good luck!
  • I had goals for December but they don't seem important at the moment because of a recent loss of a family member.

I wanted to say that if you feel motivated to lose a lot of weight over the time between now and Christmas then go for it. You can eat healthy and do a ton of fitness and drink a lot of water and use a lot of self belief.

Hope it gets you good results and makes you happy. We all could do with some of that.
  • HannahInHawaii
    I'm really not a troll. I'm sorry that anyone thinks that. I'm just your average 24 year old who set a goal. I never knew it was going to blow up into a big deal. I just thought I'd get some support.

I don't always log all of my food. I don't have an eating disorder. I'm just trying to find the best sort of food intake for my body.

I know that losing 10 lbs in 9 days seems "impossible" and you can continue to tell me that all you want. When I come back on the 13th I will be completely honest about what happened over the next 9 days. You keep track of my diary or you can do whatever you want. I honestly don't care. I just want to see what will happen when I set a goal. If I don't make it, who cares? I'll be closer than I am now.

I'm going to eat when I'm hungry. I'm going to eat raw plants/vegetables/fruits. Maybe some nuts or meats? Who knows! I might even get crazy and go eat mexican food!

I'll also be walking a mile or 2 every day or every few days. I'm not trying to bust my rear to hit this goal. I'm just trying to motivate myself to be better.

I'm not into the getting defensive and fighting with other people thing. If that makes me a troll, then a troll I am! :laugh:
  • Good luck!
  • I had planned on reaching my first goal, from 188, to 170 - 10lbs I still have the end of December to achieve this. I am
    currently at 182-4 I fluctuate. So, when I get to 170, I will do another 10lbs. 160 ( and see how I feel ) I was 140 at my lightest. I looked pretty good... but I also need the toning... OH TO BE 20 again Ha!
  • HannahInHawaii
    I had planned on reaching my first goal, from 188, to 170 - 10lbs I still have the end of December to achieve this. I am
    currently at 182-4 I fluctuate. So, when I get to 170, I will do another 10lbs. 160 ( and see how I feel ) I was 140 at my lightest. I looked pretty good... but I also need the toning... OH TO BE 20 again Ha!

You go girl!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    10 lbs in 9 days seems "impossible"

That's the thing again. You throw in words like "seems" impossible. It is a SCIENTIFIC fact that you can't lose that much, that fast without drastic unhealthy measures.

If you were 300lbs, that might not be the case, but at your weight, even if you are successful, there is NO possible way that you did it in a healthy manner.

You can debate opinions, but not facts.
  • HannahInHawaii
    10 lbs in 9 days seems "impossible"

That's the thing again. You throw in words like "seems" impossible. It is a SCIENTIFIC fact that you can't lose that much, that fast without drastic unhealthy measures.

If you were 300lbs, that might not be the case, but at your weight, even if you are successful, there is NO possible way that you did it in a healthy manner.

You can debate opinions, but not facts.

Okay. You're right.