Fast Food Workers Striking?!?!?

Options

Replies

• just_Jennie1
    Options
    I don't know why people are even bothering to argue about this. Fast food workers are not going to get 15 dollars an hour any time soon. For every employee that's protesting, there's 5 unemployed people that are willing to take their spot lol. I wish that everyone could afford to live comfortably but it's just not realistic and it's NEVER going to happen.

Indeed.

You will always have the have's and the have not's.

It's a fact.

Get used to it.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    I don't know why people are even bothering to argue about this. Fast food workers are not going to get 15 dollars an hour any time soon. For every employee that's protesting, there's 5 unemployed people that are willing to take their spot lol. I wish that everyone could afford to live comfortably but it's just not realistic and it's NEVER going to happen.

Indeed.

It's a fact.

Get used to it.

but we will have fewer have's (they will just have even more) and more have not's (the will have even less)
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I know opinions on this will vary, but seriously....fast food jobs are supposed to be for teenagers and young adults trying to earn a few bucks while they work their way through school. Not a life long career choice.

Lots of people are taking jobs below their level of education because this is largely a jobless recovery. It isn't that there isn't enough money in the economy; the rich are getting ever richer and corporate profits are robust. You're right; these jobs should be done by teens on their way up. But when there aren't enough jobs to go around, you get people who never thought they'd have to stoop so low applying for those jobs just to get some kind of money coming in. Would you rather they just sat around and collected unemployment?
    Yes, because that is the only other option. They couldn't possibly come up with something that other people want and go into business for themselves.

So, in earnest, how can we effectively get companies to create more jobs? If they can achieve the greater profits without incurring additional labor costs, it only makes logical sense that they would do so. I don't think government mandates about wage increases are the answer. Now, if you want to talk about dismantling the whole protectionist system that corporations have wheedled out of the government, I'm willing to talk turkey on that point. It's gonna be one hell of a bumpy ride though. I think the general consensus is it's more expedient to kick that can down the road.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    The people who are saying fast food jobs are made for high schoolers and teenagers clearly have never owned a fast food restaurant lol.

my parents own 3 Cheese Steak shops, which i spent 3 years working in and eventually managing and i can tell you hands down the laziest, least productive, most likely to call in sick fri/sat (or just be a no call, no show), and over all untrustworthy employees are teenagers/ high school kids.

Cue blind rage about "the youth of today"...:bigsmile:

it has nothing to do with youth of today. it has to do with the employyees needs.

the kid earning spending money with no true financial responsabilities simply doesnt need to care about the job as much (i was a pretty ****ty employee when i was 16 and just trying to earn enough money for beer on the weekend)

the father of 2 with rent to pay and new shoes for his kids to buy is going to be a better employee.

we attrated those better employees by paying more than other fast food restaurants and much more than minimal wage. It's why some of the employees have been there going on 10 years now

I know, but according to some on this thread, you'd be wrong because fast food jobs are 'meant' for part-timers or kids, and apparently the people who are adult, full-time employees that you do employ are directionless scum who don't deserve the wage that you are paying them, because they should want a 'better" job than the one you are offering.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Where were any of you when the CEO of McDonalds gave himself a $14 million dollar raise? Why is that ok? Why is increased wages only bad for the poor?

THIS... a bajillion times, this! nobody bats an eye if somebody who is already wealthy decides that they need to be wealthier. Because "this is what capitalism is all about!" But the second somebody wants to afford a 1988 falling apart vehicle to get themselves to work, they feel a sense of "entitlement."

:laugh:

No.

Sorry.

Apparently you don't know the meaning of the word because someone who feels they are entitled wouldn't be caught dead in a 1988 falling apart vehicle .They would demand the latest and greatest fully loaded Lexus SUV.

I own my own business.

I make a great living.

I drive a 2000 jeep cherokee with 230,000 miles on it. It has died on me countless times but I just keep throwing in a new battery and taking it to the shop. I am hoping to get 250,000 miles out of it.

I have never owned a new vehicle. Everything I have is what I can afford and pay in cash.

And why shouldn't those who are wealthy feel they should be wealthier? Who are YOU to say how much I can or can not make or how much I should make? My husband and I bust our *kitten* on our businesses to have the kind of lifestyle we want. WTF are YOU to say we shouldn't? We work hard. We make good money. I will be the one to decide what's enough. Not you, not the government, not any one else. Because it IS what capitalism is all about. I"m fine with someone who wants to make some money, have a good life etc. I'm NOT ok with those people who sit back with their hands out and expect me and everyone else to take care of them because they're "ENTITLED".

That is very good that you and your husband do so well for yourselves. I hope to someday do as well for myself. I would never say you don't deserve the money you make. I never intended to imply that anybody who has money shouldn't work harder to get more. You are taking what I said very personally and reading into things that aren't there. If a wealthy person wants to make more money or gives themself a raise, nobody cares. I meant that and only that. Nobody sits and moans about how entitled they are or how unfair it is. If somebody who is poor wants to make more money, people say they feel entitled. I know the actual meaning of the word "entitled." I also know people who work minimum wage jobs and can't afford the car I described. I couldn't when i made that low of a wage. They would give anything to be making even $9 an hour because then they would be able to store a bit of money here and there and get that car they need so they can get to work. I used the public transportation system before and if work called to offer me more hours and I couldn't get there in time because a bus wasn't available until later, they found somebody else to take the shift. They didn't wait for me to come in an hour and a half later. I WANTED to work harder and more hours but sometimes I wasn't able to. It all depended on how far in advance a coworker called off. But if you read through these posts, people are throwing the word "entitled" around left and right and they really aren't using it correctly. Or if they are then they really have no idea how people are actually living off of $7.25 an hour. Please do not take what I said out of context and apply it to yourself personally.

Your post hit a small nerve because I had a family member say "when is enough enough" money wise and you kind of brought a "flash back" to that. Sorry if I came off rather angry. I really didn't mean it.

But I don't think someone who is working a minimum wage job, earning money, supporting a family and wanting to buy that beater with a heater is someone who thinks they're "entitled'. They're doing what every person would do. Those people who are making minimum wage and can't afford that car are the ones who are going to work harder, take the crap hours, work more hours, do whatever it takes to earn the money, to get out of that situation and better themselves. They're not the ones who are going to go on strike and "woes is me" and all that because they're happy that they have a job and are earning money.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I know, but according to some on this thread, you'd be wrong because fast food jobs are 'meant' for part-timers or kids, and apparently the people who are adult, full-time employees that you do employ are directionless scum who don't deserve the wage that you are paying them, because they should want a 'better" job than the one you are offering.
    That ain't what *I'm* saying. I'm saying if they don't get paid as much as they need/want/merit then they should want a "better" job. If they're happy with what they've got, where would be the impetus for them to change it?
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

Indeed.

It's a fact.

Get used to it.

but we will have fewer have's (they will just have even more) and more have not's (the will have even less)

Not sure I understand your point.:huh: (not being snarky I'm really not sure I understand because you're basically saying what i just stated. It doesn't matter whether or not the "have's" have more or the "have nots" have less it's still the same.
  • SteveJWatson
    Options

Indeed.

It's a fact.

Get used to it.

And this seems to be a state of affairs that a lot on here are happy with, or will be until it is them that fall into the 'have nots' either by their raises not keeping up with inflation or by redundancies etc.

But hey, we could all start out own business if we wanted, couldn't we?
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I have never been in a union.
    Anyone ever heard of merit pay? I have NEVER had to ask for a raise in my life and have been working for 46 years.
    A good work ethic and good work habits are desirable to employers.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Where were any of you when the CEO of McDonalds gave himself a $14 million dollar raise? Why is that ok? Why is increased wages only bad for the poor?

THIS... a bajillion times, this! nobody bats an eye if somebody who is already wealthy decides that they need to be wealthier. Because "this is what capitalism is all about!" But the second somebody wants to afford a 1988 falling apart vehicle to get themselves to work, they feel a sense of "entitlement."

:laugh:

No.

Sorry.

Apparently you don't know the meaning of the word because someone who feels they are entitled wouldn't be caught dead in a 1988 falling apart vehicle .They would demand the latest and greatest fully loaded Lexus SUV.

I own my own business.

I make a great living.

I drive a 2000 jeep cherokee with 230,000 miles on it. It has died on me countless times but I just keep throwing in a new battery and taking it to the shop. I am hoping to get 250,000 miles out of it.

I have never owned a new vehicle. Everything I have is what I can afford and pay in cash.

And why shouldn't those who are wealthy feel they should be wealthier? Who are YOU to say how much I can or can not make or how much I should make? My husband and I bust our *kitten* on our businesses to have the kind of lifestyle we want. WTF are YOU to say we shouldn't? We work hard. We make good money. I will be the one to decide what's enough. Not you, not the government, not any one else. Because it IS what capitalism is all about. I"m fine with someone who wants to make some money, have a good life etc. I'm NOT ok with those people who sit back with their hands out and expect me and everyone else to take care of them because they're "ENTITLED".

That is very good that you and your husband do so well for yourselves. I hope to someday do as well for myself. I would never say you don't deserve the money you make. I never intended to imply that anybody who has money shouldn't work harder to get more. You are taking what I said very personally and reading into things that aren't there. If a wealthy person wants to make more money or gives themself a raise, nobody cares. I meant that and only that. Nobody sits and moans about how entitled they are or how unfair it is. If somebody who is poor wants to make more money, people say they feel entitled. I know the actual meaning of the word "entitled." I also know people who work minimum wage jobs and can't afford the car I described. I couldn't when i made that low of a wage. They would give anything to be making even $9 an hour because then they would be able to store a bit of money here and there and get that car they need so they can get to work. I used the public transportation system before and if work called to offer me more hours and I couldn't get there in time because a bus wasn't available until later, they found somebody else to take the shift. They didn't wait for me to come in an hour and a half later. I WANTED to work harder and more hours but sometimes I wasn't able to. It all depended on how far in advance a coworker called off. But if you read through these posts, people are throwing the word "entitled" around left and right and they really aren't using it correctly. Or if they are then they really have no idea how people are actually living off of $7.25 an hour. Please do not take what I said out of context and apply it to yourself personally.

Your post hit a small nerve because I had a family member say "when is enough enough" money wise and you kind of brought a "flash back" to that. Sorry if I came off rather angry. I really didn't mean it.

But I don't think someone who is working a minimum wage job, earning money, supporting a family and wanting to buy that beater with a heater is someone who thinks they're "entitled'. They're doing what every person would do. Those people who are making minimum wage and can't afford that car are the ones who are going to work harder, take the crap hours, work more hours, do whatever it takes to earn the money, to get out of that situation and better themselves. They're not the ones who are going to go on strike and "woes is me" and all that because they're happy that they have a job and are earning money.

It's okay. I forgive you. :flowerforyou:
  • SteveJWatson
    Options
    That ain't what *I'm* saying. I'm saying if they don't get paid as much as they need/want/merit then they should want a "better" job. If they're happy with what they've got, where would be the impetus for them to change it?

Or they can use their collective bargaining to win a better wage for doing the same job, and possibly be happier people who, instead of having to work yet more grinding hours can spend time at home with their families etc. Yes, their CEO might get paid less but so what? I imagine he or she is still going to be very well off.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    But hey, we could all start out own business if we wanted, couldn't we?

Actually yes you could.

Our landscaper worked for a company. The owners were jerks to him and to each other and he had enough so he quit. He started his own business. Hired people that he knew and trusted, got work through word of mouth and now is busier than he could ever imagine. He has people who, when he says he's too busy to do their work, says 'That's fine. We'll wait until you're available".

He has never been happier and his cousin who works with him just started HIS own business.

So while I know you had snark when you made your last comment about starting your own business if you wanted to the reality is that you can.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    woahohohoho

I worked in the service industry in high school. So this isn't an elitist, "us vs them" viewpoint by any means, and it insults my intelligence that you would assume such. Then *poof* I'm a college student. Guess what, that *poof* isn't luck or a handout or me sitting around waiting for someone to give me a bucket o' cash. This is hard work and aspirations.

Typically I wouldn't make this personal, because anecdotal evidence is useless. But chose to use yourself as an example, soooo...

Ok. Do tell. You went to college. Was it because:

A. Your parents paid for it
    B. Student loans paid for it (government assistance)
    C. You earned the money through your service industry job

Because A is luck, B is a handout, and C is nearly impossible.

So which is it?

Everyone loves to take all the credit for their accomplishments. They tend to forget all the help they received along the way.

How is B a handout? A loan is something you pay back with interest.

Do you really believe in a capitalist society someone would give you a loan that big to bet on you succeeding in life without any collateral?

Student loans are handouts because they are government backed loans with very low interest rate that the government guarantees the financial institution will be paid one way or another. If the student fails to pay it and defaults the company gets to write it off in their taxes and still go after the student for payment it's a nice business plan with little risk.

So maybe I'm missing how it's considered a handout.

You are being given something that you didn't earn? like beside student loans no one in their right mind would even consider given you that kind of money for nothing...

Handout : something given free to a needy person or organization.

I think I need to go live in your world because in mine when you take out a lona it isn't a handout since you are paying it back with interest. Yeah, the interest rate is lower on gov backed education loans but that's because its one of the few debts that is near impossible to get clear short of paying. Thus the risk is lower this the interest rate is lower. You can claim bankruptcy and still have a very very small chance of having your student loans wiped free. Lower risk = lower interest rate.

You are still paying back every cent you borrowed with interest. Wouldn't call that a handout but I guess that's where our definition splits.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I firmly believe that jobs in the fast food industry was meant for people in highschool and in colledge. It was always low a paying job, with a 4 hour shift. Any adult that is still working, shoudl work on getting their education together and get a better job.

I believe that if they were to strike, they will screwing with them selfs. Companies, need to make a certain profit.
    they will then raise the Cost of what ever it is they are selling.
    People will refuse to buy.
    The companies will then have layoffs.
    and the people who strike will loose their job.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    After reading through quite a few of these posts I couldn't do it anymore. All the judgmental posts and the downright mean tone! The 'blame the government'...no! 'blame the corporations'.....'let them starve'.......'worthless'.....'useless burger flippers'....'why do I have to pay for someone else's poor choices' blah blah blah. Pretty nasty comments on both sides of the coin!

This is exactly what is wrong with our society and why we are failing. These are people we are talking about here. Lives. Have some respect. Learn their story. Put a little humanity back into this conversation. Have some compassion.

This is so very sad.

I am sure I will get nasty comments about this post. People will be unkind and insult me. Go ahead.

"Let us more and more, insist on raising funds of love, of kindness, of understanding, of peace." - Mother Teresa
    [/quote

You will not get any nasty comments from me, just praises because you spoke from your heart, and said things better than I could and should.
    It seems that many people in this Forum don’t have any heart, just plain hate, erroneous ideas, a holy than thou attitudes. The lack of civility and empathy shown my some posters is appalling and pathetic, it is like they are shooting bullets with their mouth and they don’t care who they hit. The wrongs of modern society and what is morally wrong with the country becomes very clear reading some of the posts.
    So there you go, another thread to justify nasty comments. Start shooting.
  • garbagedog
    Options
    So if everyone finds a better job that's not fast food, who's going to supply me with McChickens?

Those who don't want to do better for themselves, students working their way through school, and retirees and other employed people looking to supplement their income. Plenty of people available and willing to work those jobs. I have to side with everyone who agrees that flipping burgers and putting fries in a box is unskilled labor and not deserving of $15 per hour. Sorry. When I wasn't making a "livable" wage, I worked two jobs while in college and after college while I worked my way up.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options

Indeed.

It's a fact.

Get used to it.

Not sure I understand your point.:huh: (not being snarky I'm really not sure I understand because you're basically saying what i just stated. It doesn't matter whether or not the "have's" have more or the "have nots" have less it's still the same.

dont really have a point i guess haha.

there have always been haves and have nots. But we are steadily haveing fewer and fewer "haves" and more and mroe have nots

basically a comment on wealth concentration and the death of the middle class
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

Indeed.

It's a fact.

Get used to it.

there have always been haves and have nots. But we are steadily haveing fewer and fewer "haves" and more and mroe have nots

Well then why didn't you say that?!:tongue:
  • SteveJWatson
    Options

Indeed.

It's a fact.

Get used to it.

Well then why didn't you say that?!:tongue:

Following on from previous - I own my own business. I needed start up capital to do this. Not everyone has the capital to take a punt on the market. In fact, not many do.
  • NinjadURbacon
    NinjadURbacon Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    sorry had to go get fast food and hit up the workers and talk with them.......reporting back they are all fine and working. They had smiles on their faces and were quite nice.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I am eating fast food WTF