Fast Food Workers Striking?!?!?

Options

Replies

• F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    sorry had to go get fast food and hit up the workers and talk with them.......reporting back they are all fine and working. They had smiles on their faces and were quite nice.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I am eating fast food WTF

You're funny. :)
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    sorry had to go get fast food and hit up the workers and talk with them.......reporting back they are all fine and working. They had smiles on their faces and were quite nice.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • NinjadURbacon
    NinjadURbacon Posts: 395 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

and that is what happens when I am on short lunch and we are talking food

epic fail
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Following on from previous - I own my own business. I needed start up capital to do this. Not everyone has the capital to take a punt on the market. In fact, not many do.
    Cool, so as a business owner, if you have employees who want more money, but what you're paying them is fair for what the market will bear, and they try to strongarm you by not coming in to work or threatening not to come in to work, what do you do?
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Following on from previous - I own my own business. I needed start up capital to do this. Not everyone has the capital to take a punt on the market. In fact, not many do.
    Cool, so as a business owner, if you have employees who want more money, but what you're paying them is fair for what the market will bear, and they try to strongarm you by not coming in to work or threatening not to come in to work, what do you do?
    You call them on their bluff... No hours worked = no hours paid. and see who blinks first.
    Go get your self a temp, let your staff think they are going to get replaced.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    You call them on their bluff... No hours worked = no hours paid. and see who blinks first.
    Go get your self a temp, let your staff think they are going to get replaced.
    That's probably going to be bad for morale, and if your employees have significant investments in training sunk into them, you're going to be loath to pursue that route. In which case, it seems likely that your wage is lower than what the market would require and you will have to cave and offer them more money.

I think that tactic might work. Exactly once. What business owner in their right mind wouldn't start quietly developing their skilled replacements immediately?
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

I dont employ anyone. If I do, they will be a part time farm worker and judging by the standards on this thread they will be the lowest of the low. The answer is, of course I wouldn't dream of employing anyone I couldn't pay a living wage to.
  • NinjadURbacon
    Options

I dont employ anyone. If I do, they will be a part time farm worker and judging by the standards on this thread they will be the lowest of the low. The answer is, of course I wouldn't dream of employing anyone I couldn't pay a living wage to.

why be so humble, people will work for minimum wage and they will boost your profits to expand your business and offer more jobs to help boost the economy.......now you are just being greedy. Holding down the poor so they can not have a job and making the rest of the tax payers pay for their welfare.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

Then how would you grow your business to stay ahead of your competitors? (I really want to know; I'm pretty ignorant about the business world) You might have more work than you can do yourself, but less than what would require a "living wage" employee. If your similarly-placed competition *is* willing to hire low-wage workers to bridge the gap and can find them, they have just gained a competitive advantage over you. You may not be able to retain any market share at all.

I see that the nature of some businesses is that the above model may not apply, but extrapolating to the majority of businesses where it does, what happens then? It sounds like your refusal to hire a low-wage worker could put you out of business.
  • SteveJWatson
    Options
    In all honesty, I dont care. I know a one-man band can make a good living at what I do, so I'm really not interested. I know that there will always be a market for what I produce and that my capital value increases with my stock. I know I could sell them all tomorrow and walk away better off than when I started.
  • NinjadURbacon
    Options

Then how would you grow your business to stay ahead of your competitors? (I really want to know; I'm pretty ignorant about the business world) You might have more work than you can do yourself, but less than what would require a "living wage" employee. If your similarly-placed competition *is* willing to hire low-wage workers to bridge the gap and can find them, they have just gained a competitive advantage over you. You may not be able to retain any market share at all.

I see that the nature of some businesses is that the above model may not apply, but extrapolating to the majority of businesses where it does, what happens then? It sounds like your refusal to hire a low-wage worker could put you out of business.

i am more of a fan of pay them based on how the produce. As a farmer, if his farm hand is hard working and increases revenue pay him accordingly.

Same happens at McDonalds. They few employees who work hard move into management (shift managers). But McDonalds is not built for promotions. As a farmer it could be. It is all based on potential advancement of work. Some business models allow it others do not.
  • NinjadURbacon
    Options
    In all honesty, I dont care. I know a one-man band can make a good living at what I do, so I'm really not interested. I know that there will always be a market for what I produce and that my capital value increases with my stock. I know I could sell them all tomorrow and walk away better off than when I started.

then that is a great investment of money and time.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    People do realize for each employee raise the business PAYS an increase in - workman's comp insurance, liability insurance, federal taxes, etc.... You have to look at the whole picture.

Paying someone to sweep the floors the same as a, say, mechanic the cost of labor/parts to the customer will go up too. Just to break even, say labor to customer 200 per hour to fix the car... How long will that business keep the doors open.

Businesses have already placed employee to part time, with no health ins, retirement accounts just to keep their doors open.
  • fgodfrey56
    fgodfrey56 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This is a disturbing thread.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    People do realize for each employee raise the business PAYS an increase in - workman's comp insurance, liability insurance, federal taxes, etc.... You have to look at the whole picture.

Paying someone to sweep the floors the same as a, say, mechanic the cost of labor/parts to the customer will go up too. Just to break even, say labor to customer 200 per hour to fix the car... How long will that business keep the doors open.

Businesses have already placed employee to part time, with no health ins, retirement accounts just to keep their doors open.
    No, because, you see, the businesses are turning record profits and they're just being greedy by denying their workers full-time employment at a "living wage" regardless of the value they add to the business.

I'm still trying to figure out how to force the companies to take these labor cost increases without passing them on to the consumer in the form of higher prices to ensure their profit margin stays just as high as it is now. Nobody has a good answer for that. I can already tell you that government can't force them to do it.
  • SteveJWatson
    Options

Yeah, but not one as profitable as McDonalds......
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    OK, so what I'm taking from this is that your business owner experience won't help me understand the big picture, so I'll discontinue this line of inquiry. I do appreciate your time thus far, though.
  • SteveJWatson
    Options

No, because, you see, the businesses are turning record profits and they're just being greedy by denying their workers full-time employment at a "living wage" regardless of the value they add to the business.

I'm still trying to figure out how to force the companies to take these labor cost increases without passing them on to the consumer in the form of higher prices to ensure their profit margin stays just as high as it is now. Nobody has a good answer for that. I can already tell you that government can't force them to do it.

The workers do it, but threatening industrial action. the price of a burger remains the same, because competition.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

You can't. Either you will stick it to the consumer or let some of your staff go and require the rest to pick up the slack.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    The workers do it, but threatening industrial action. the price of a burger remains the same, because competition.
    I will agree that the price the consumer pays for a burger has, if anything, gone down, but I am not sure that once you account for externalities the price paid has remained the same. In other industries, though, I do not agree that competition has resulted in prices remaining the same. Otherwise, why would everyone be shouting about the necessity of wage increases to keep up with the increased cost of living? Admittedly, my own purchasing power has been somewhat eroded over the last five years or so, because my salary has remained fairly constant. I am no longer looking to "move up the ladder", so there's really no way for me to get an increase. I would not like to see the minimum wage go up and consequently see prices go up, meaning my purchasing power has been further eroded. I didn't do anything, yet I'm moving backwards. How is that fair? I'm just as smart and hard-working as I was before any minimum-wage increase. Do I automatically get a corresponding increase to compensate for the inevitable across-the-board price increases?