I'm a Chauvinist?

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    When I was 9 months pregnant I was leaving a store with my arms full of my purchases. An elderly couple was entering, so I stepped back as the man held the door for his wife to walk through. He made eye contact with me, nodded at me, and let the door close in my face. Discourteous behavior doesn't exclusively belong to the younger generation.

This was probably the result of that man being aware of those who balk at a man holding the door for a woman. He probably had heard of this and was confused trying to figure out where you stood on this. You're confidence and youth may have led him to mistakenly beleive you were "one of those" and he thought he was doing right by you.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Really though, I hold the door open for everyone and anyone

ditto
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options

If the kid had let the door shut on a guy with his hands full, would you still have been pissed? I think manners go both ways.

If the kid had let the door shut on a guy I wouldn't have heard about it. I have a wife and three daughters, but, yes, it would have been rude either way. The intent of my original post was meant to be about courtesy in general, not deferential treatment towards women.

However, I DO treat women with deference and make no apologies about it. That's how my father treated my mother.

I am always going to hold the door open for others, regardless of gender, age or number of people passing through the door.

I can see by the mixed comments that not everyone agrees. To those people, I say, luckily the chance that we will ever encounter each other is slim, but, if we do, I'm going to hold the door for you. Get over it.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I can see by the mixed comments that not everyone agrees. To those people, I say, luckily the chance that we will ever encounter each other is slim, but, if we do, I'm going to hold the door for you. Get over it.
    And I will thank you graciously, or at the very least smile and nod if I am in the middle of a sentence while speaking with someone else. It's a shame that people can't just accept a kindness graciously.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I fully expect someone to hold a door for me - particularly a man.
    Oh my word! You must go through life positively filled with disappointment! I think manners are something you're supposed to practice without expecting them in return. That way you can be pleasantly surprised when you encounter them.

I am, however, appalled at the idea that someone would berate someone else for having the audacity to hold the door for them. /shudder

I'm not disappointed. I believe in teh courtesy of human beings. I am polite and well mannered regardless of those around me. But thank you for believing I shuold be filled with disappointment. I will definitely try to be more pessimistic going forward and less believing in random kindness and manners from other people.

I did not "berate" anyone. I called him out teasingly around his friends who i also talk with/joke with frequently. I would hardly call that berating.

Sorry I did not word my response correctly

I hold doors open for people and expect them to do the same. IF they don't, I right away grab the door and hurry through it so I can catch up to them and kick them. (and then I walk away telling myself it was because I'm black...even though I'm not.)
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    Oh, here's a question though. Am I rude if I insist on continuing to carry or move something on my own after someone offers to help me? I'm proud of being strong and capable. Moreover, if I am already in the middle of, say, changing the water bottle on the office cooler, it's really a one-person job, so offering to help me is a bit awkward. I'd feel really weird stepping back and saying "sure, thanks, have at it!"
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    I hold doors open for people and expect them to do the same. IF they don't, I right away grab the door and hurry through it so I can catch up to them and kick them. (and then I walk away telling myself it was because I'm black...even though I'm not.)
    I don't mean to sound racist, but... that was funny!
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to sound racist, but... that was funny!

LOL I agree - this is very funny.

And fullster - sorry I did misunderstand your response to mine but glad we are on the same page :)
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Oh, here's a question though. Am I rude if I insist on continuing to carry or move something on my own after someone offers to help me? I'm proud of being strong and capable. Moreover, if I am already in the middle of, say, changing the water bottle on the office cooler, it's really a one-person job, so offering to help me is a bit awkward. I'd feel really weird stepping back and saying "sure, thanks, have at it!"

I don't think its rude to take care of it yourself. If it was me I would just say "no thanks, I'm good". I think it depends on the delivery. I change the water cooler bottle at work ALL the time, because apparently I am the only one who knows how to. Only once has someone asked if I had it, and to holler if I needed help.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

I don't think its rude to take care of it yourself. If it was me I would just say "no thanks, I'm good". I think it depends on the delivery. I change the water cooler bottle at work ALL the time, because apparently I am the only one who knows how to. Only once has someone asked if I had it, and to holler if I needed help.
    Cool. I think one time I did let one coworker do it for me, because I know he is older and from Mexico and polite to a fault and I would not want to hurt his feelings by rejecting his help. One of my younger co-workers, I just tell him, "please, I can deadlift you." :laugh:
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options

nope its better than the person who will stand there all huffy and spoiled looking at the door or looking at the box and saying, I expect you to help me with this or open this. It's polite to offer to help, but sometimes you gotta do it yourself (1 person job)
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Male Chauvinist? Absolutely not.
    Gentleman? Absolutely.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I'm happy with where this thread has gone! So very nice.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I held the door for an older couple yesterday and they were surprised. To me that was just common courtesy. What the hell is going on in our society?
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    I know there are a lot of people that will open doors for people. I do it, and I see a lot of other people do it. It must be a hit or miss kinda thing.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    I am mid-40's and my mother would throat punch me if she saw me do anything like that...I get looked at funny because I hold doors for women, the elderly and anyone at any time....If it is a big group and I have somwhere to be I will let go when a teen is walking thru just so he will have to. I hate that it seems like I am the only one that offers help. (by the way people look at me).
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    i agree with the most part i would give up my seat to any one, i would and still do hold the door open for people its just some thing built in from when i was young just like manners please and thank you. the one i would have trouble with is Standing when a woman enters the room is that every time no matter what room your in. i might as well stay standing. sorry i've just not been tought that one. also from back in the day i had a certain time to be home there was no staying out late like kids today
  • harvo
    Options
    And when I was in my mid 20's I was teaching my step kids about being polite and they had a sense of it because my Grandfather had a crippled leg. One day me and the kids were at the mall and I was holding the door for an elderly couple when kid zigs around them and slides thru the door....I am not totally sure how he accidentally kicked my foot and went sprawling on the floor. My kids asked what happened and why I stuck my foot out...my answer "Karma"
  • harvo
    Options
    i agree with the most part i would give up my seat to any one, i would and still do hold the door open for people its just some thing built in from when i was young just like manners please and thank you. the one i would have trouble with is Standing when a woman enters the room is that every time no matter what room your in. i might as well stay standing. sorry i've just not been tought that one

AMEN, I have smacked my kids in the head for not getting out of a seat when a lady or someone elderly walks in with no place to sit....
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I'm happy with where this thread has gone! So very nice.

I think you may have spoken too soon. There is now throat punching and head smacking going on, in the name of manners no less. Is THIS finally irony guise? Is it?