Toe walker and squats

Options
124»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Phone died before I could edit.

What trying to say here is that depending on weighted or not, and whether it is a high bar, low bar, front, or body weight squat will change how far forward or back you need to be to keep your center of mass over the middle of your foot at all times.

If you for some weird theory reason wanted to apply the mechanics of a proper low bar heavy squat to a body weight squat, while ignoring balance, you would be on your toes the whole time.

Just about everyone I've seen up on their toes, btw, is doing a high bar squat.

But I don't relate that - let's say "forwardness" to my foot position. I relate that to my bar and my torso to keep balance- my foot placement on the floor is consistently the same.

I do understand what you are saying about balancing- I do a LOT of squats
    body weight squat/grand plie squat (extremely well- from dance class)
    front squat (well)-
    back squat (very medicore) and
    OHS (very poorly)...

and yes my upper body will change some what angle wise to accommodate the bar- but my foot is connected to the floor in much the same fashion with each variation of squat.

I think we are possibly mis-communicating the toe thing- I high bar squat- I'm NEVER on my toes. When I pull my toes up- I'm pushing the pad of the foot INTO the floor- connecting the two outer bones more solidly and through the heel- like a tripod.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Phone died before I could edit.

What trying to say here is that depending on weighted or not, and whether it is a high bar, low bar, front, or body weight squat will change how far forward or back you need to be to keep your center of mass over the middle of your foot at all times.

If you for some weird theory reason wanted to apply the mechanics of a proper low bar heavy squat to a body weight squat, while ignoring balance, you would be on your toes the whole time.

Just about everyone I've seen up on their toes, btw, is doing a high bar squat.

But I don't relate that - let's say "forwardness" to my foot position. I relate that to my bar and my torso to keep balance- my foot placement on the floor is consistently the same.

I do understand what you are saying about balancing- I do a LOT of squats
    body weight squat/grand plie squat (extremely well- from dance class)
    front squat (well)-
    back squat (very medicore) and
    OHS (very poorly)...

and yes my upper body will change some what angle wise to accommodate the bar- but my foot is connected to the floor in much the same fashion with each variation of squat.

I think we are possibly mis-communicating the toe thing- I high bar squat- I'm NEVER on my toes. When I pull my toes up- I'm pushing the pad of the foot INTO the floor- connecting the two outer bones more solidly and through the heel- like a tripod.

I wasn't saying you come up on your toes, but what you're talking about sounded like an overcorrection.

out of curiosity, why don't you low bar squat?