Replacement for Pop/Soda?

Options

Replies

• RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Water. I cut out soda and now drink 1-2 litres of water a day every day. I drink maybe 2/3 soda a month so you don't have to cut it out completely. Your body will thank you for it!
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    DONT DRINK DIET SODA worst thing ever for you, seriously. drink sparkling water with some low sugar fruit syrup, or lemon , and make italian soda!

or just cut it cold turkey, you will get used to it trust me :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    DONT DRINK DIET SODA worst thing ever for you, seriously. drink sparkling water with some low sugar fruit syrup, or lemon , and make italian soda!

or just cut it cold turkey, you will get used to it trust me :)

Why is it the worst thing ever for you?
  • MaritzK
    MaritzK Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Soda drinks (even light ones) are really bad for your body.. The original version holds loads of sugar and the light version often contains aspartam or another superficial sugar that can cause stomach pains and there is no information about the long term working of it. One can a day should be fine but if you really need a replacement try syrup with water or soda water if you like and gradually over time reduce the amount of strup. Also the cravings are normal since soda/pop is addictive (like coffee or energy drinks). It takes some time to recover from it, but your doing fine :) Keep up the good work!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    How is there "no long term information?" They've been testing aspartame since the 1960s. I'd say 50 years of tests showing no ill effect is "long term."

There's nothing in any type of soda that you don't consume in some other type of food regularly. They're just fine for you, barring an allergy, and making sure you fit them into your nutritional goals.
  • KatieWH
    KatieWH Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    La Croix! Delicious, no artificial sweeteners and no sugar!
  • baldmitch
    baldmitch Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Green tea - helps lose weight, has a small caffeine kick, and promotes cleansing. And if you are new-agey, you can get that zen-like inner glow.

If you want something a little heavier and don't mind a bitter taste....Apple Cider Vinegar - a half-a-shot of it in a glass of water. It's heavy like a soda, bitter as all get-out, and has helped in weight loss in many cultures since the days of ancient Rome. I dunno if it's an appetite suppressant or if it messes with your alkalinity.

Diet Soda's are still high in sodium, so there's the water-retention aspect to worry about.

I've done away with most caffeine and artificial sweeteners. But it was a process to get here. I practically lived off Crystal Light and Mio Energy. Now it's just water and tea., and mostly water at that.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options

Diet Soda's are still high in sodium, so there's the water-retention aspect to worry about.

Ummmm Pepsi Max per serve is 14mg sodium. Hardly high compared to normal soda or even some food that it out there.
  • ShannonTodd
    ShannonTodd Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat you're in with the craving for soda (Diet Dr. Pepper, for me). I've started having a cup of green tea (Twining's of London Green Tea) when the craving strikes and it seems to do the trick. I'm sure there are some cold green teas out there, but I've had success with the hot tea.
    Good luck! :)
  • fIashforward
    fIashforward Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I only really drink diet soft drinks now (by which I mean, I don't drink sugary ones).

The low calorie aspect is the main factor, and they taste nice too.

Plus, I always find when I drink sugary drinks my teeth feel "sticky" but not with diet stuff which is good.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I've gone from regular coke to Coke Zero sometimes. I really like the Mio water enhancers or the Aquafina ones. Sparkling Ice is really good. Or the Fuze Diet Lemon Iced Tea is pretty good. Or Diet Snapple Green tea packets. Diet Sunkist Lemonade is really good. And I really like the V-8 Fusion those are yummy
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Seltzer for me. Polar (New England brand) currently has their Winter 2013 Limited Edition flavors out. Mint chocolate, champagne strawberry, toasted coconut creme, butter rum...

And all without any sweeteners at all (I can't stand the sickly-sweet taste of artificial sweeteners).
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    plain sparkling water with lime or lemon slices. i stopped drinking soda almost 2 years and have never looked back.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Green tea - helps lose weight, has a small caffeine kick, and promotes cleansing. And if you are new-agey, you can get that zen-like inner glow.

If you want something a little heavier and don't mind a bitter taste....Apple Cider Vinegar - a half-a-shot of it in a glass of water. It's heavy like a soda, bitter as all get-out, and has helped in weight loss in many cultures since the days of ancient Rome. I dunno if it's an appetite suppressant or if it messes with your alkalinity.

I've done away with most caffeine and artificial sweeteners. But it was a process to get here. I practically lived off Crystal Light and Mio Energy. Now it's just water and tea., and mostly water at that.
    I want to know where this "diet soda is high in sodium" myth came from. Diet soda is no higher in sodium than most regular drinking water (which uses sodium as a water softener.) In fact, diet soda is categorized as a "low sodium food."
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I drink Herbalife Herbal Tea Conc, it comes powdered, you mix with water--hot or cold. It has 5 cals for a serving. It comes in 3 flavors. It is great for energy and metabolism. I was a Coke-aholic. I'm 57 days sober! Woop woop!
  • ZeldaMarooner7
    Options
    Sparkling water and Sparkling Grape Juice is a nice replacement. :) The grape one is a bit sugary, but it's probably better than most sodas.
  • lindalittle2004
    Options
    Try the Crystal lite flavors with sparking water. It worked for me getting away from sodas and the best part: I dropped 12 lbs ditching the soda. I can't finish half a can now because it's just way too sweet. You can do it!
  • baldmitch
    baldmitch Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I want to know where this "diet soda is high in sodium" myth came from. Diet soda is no higher in sodium than most regular drinking water (which uses sodium as a water softener.) In fact, diet soda is categorized as a "low sodium food."

Diet Pepsi and Diet Coke have the same sodium content as their sugary counterparts. http://www.livestrong.com/article/460635-the-sodium-content-of-diet-soft-drinks/

Now, you may not think 35 mg sodium for an 8 ounce glass is heavy, and I might agree with you. But I'm countering the whole "let's drink 2 2-liters of diet coke a day" / "drink it like water" vibe we've also seen on this thread. That kind of sodium adds up.

In my diet, if I'm not careful when I eat healthy-normal, I'm over in my sodium anyway. A soda or two could put me a little over or add to being way over. So I just eschewed sodas altogether, and it was a move that benefited me greatly.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    11mg sodium for 100ml in Coke Zero
    10mg for regular per 100ml Coke

No difference in sodium & I can think of so many things higher.

100grams Kraft Live Free cheese.....1100mg sodium

Now you tell me..... what was that again about it being bad for you?