Logging for 115 days. nothing to show for it...

Options
running a bit out of ideas here. I've been logging for 115 days now .

After around 25 days I got a weighing machine.

I weighed 256 on the Wednesday I bought one .

I was 248 like last Wednesday (the Wednesday before)

This Wednesday I was 251....

on around 2000 Kcal, should I be losing more? I would love some advice. I wish I knew how to attach pictures as I have before and after as well

Replies

• FinallyFitMommy
    FinallyFitMommy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I may get some unwanted backlash from telling you this, but for some people, it's more than calories in, calories out. When I started really paying attention to fat, carbs, protein, and fiber, the weight finally started coming off. For the first 3 months, I lost exactly 3 pounds. It was when I started paying attention to my carb intake, that the weight finally started coming off. A few months later, I'm down 23 pounds. I'm a very, very slow loser, and have to be okay with that. I current have 2 low carb days in a row, and then have 1 high carb day. It's what works for me.
    Feel free to add me! I'm always looking for more friends.
    Good luck to you! Don't give up.
  • shamansa
    shamansa Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I may get some unwanted backlash from telling you this, but for some people, it's more than calories in, calories out. When I started really paying attention to fat, carbs, protein, and fiber, the weight finally started coming off. For the first 3 months, I lost exactly 3 pounds. It was when I started paying attention to my carb intake, that the weight finally started coming off. A few months later, I'm down 23 pounds. I'm a very, very slow loser, and have to be okay with that. I current have 2 low carb days in a row, and then have 1 high carb day. It's what works for me.

You may be right about that. I feel like I have to limit carbs or something.

If I go crazy on a week (eat much lower than my caloric level)

I lose weight . But then I also lose like 5-6 pounds that week and I know most of that is not fat if I lose more than 2
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I checked your diary back for over a week, well done for logging and for opening your diary!

IMHO I think you are not logging 100% true to what you are eating.

You are logging so that is a big thing to help you...but if you don`t be true with it all, then you will not lose weight.

If you are going to keep your diary, then...and this is what helped me...plan your food the day before...log it into your diary and stick to it.

It is so easy to look back after the day has finished and add what you thought you ate.

Truly, if I can lose weight and keep it off then you can to.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    First of all, kudos to you for continuing to log after 125 days of little progress. I may have abandoned the mission by now if I were in your shoes.

I think it's going to come down to you overestimating your calorie burn and underestimating what you eat. Be VERY diligent about everything. If you don't have a heart rate monitor, get one. Weigh everything to the gram--even things in labeled packages tend to weigh more than label says. Do not eat anything--not even licking a spoon when you're making a recipe--without logging it.

What got me to become very committed was that I found that I was trying all of the time (before MFP)--thinking about being healthier, like making better food choices, being more active. And I would mostly be good. But then just one bad meal or two in a week could spoil all of the work, and I really wasn't making any progress. I decided that as long as I was always thinking about this anyway, I might as well jump all in and become super attentive and committed to everything. Since then, I've only seen progress.
  • shamansa
    shamansa Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    First of all, kudos to you for continuing to log after 125 days of little progress. I may have abandoned the mission by now if I were in your shoes.

I think it's going to come down to you overestimating your calorie burn and underestimating what you eat. Be VERY diligent about everything. If you don't have a heart rate monitor, get one. Weigh everything to the gram--even things in labeled packages tend to weigh more than label says. Do not eat anything--not even licking a spoon when you're making a recipe--without logging it.

What got me to become very committed was that I found that I was trying all of the time (before MFP)--thinking about being healthier, like making better food choices, being more active. And I would mostly be good. But then just one bad meal or two in a week could spoil all of the work, and I really wasn't making any progress. I decided that as long as I was always thinking about this anyway, I might as well jump all in and become super attentive and committed to everything. Since then, I've only seen progress.

Thanks for the reply.

I guess that is true. Some days I log everything to the gram then others I just do rough estimates. I only think that there should be at least some difference in "rough logging" and "not logging at all"...

http://s18.postimg.org/vb4lnwnrc/fatday2.jpg

http://s9.postimg.org/5oiweb5e6/fat_day1.jpg

Two pictures. Useless for me to say before and after as there is no difference anyway (except a shaved chest)
  • patols1
    patols1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I guess I am confused because I looked at your diary and you are over your calorie limit almost every day and some days by as many as 500 calories. unless you aren't accounting for your exercise I think you would be gaining weight.
  • patols1
    patols1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I guess I am confused because I looked at your diary and you are over your calorie limit almost every day and some days by as many as 500 calories. unless you aren't accounting for your exercise I think you would be gaining weight.

i am reading the diaries wrong?? -500 in red means you went over on calories correct?
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

I agree with the others, kudos to you for sticking with the logging, and having your diary open for people to see, and hopefully help. Without knowing the rest of your stats.... and if your daily goal for calories is accurate.... you certainly appear to be exceeding it, every day for the week I went back.

It seems to me that what you've learned so far is..... you're eating too much to lose weight. Drop your intake to the daily goal, or just below, and / or get some exercise.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Yup you gonna get backlash and here it comes.

Calories in<calories out you lose weight. Period, scientific fact.

The the OP you may log but you don't weigh your food and and are consistently over your daily goal, no exercise to speak of and some days are not complete.

You can't lose weight at a calorie surplus
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options

i am reading the diaries wrong?? -500 in red means you went over on calories correct?

When you lose weight and adjust your calories all of the previous entries will show you over calories even if for your weight at the time you where under.

I just started making diary notes so I can see how many calories I was under.
  • lucentabella
    lucentabella Posts: 114 Member
    Options

It is always calories in/out. Always.
    OP I would go to the doctor to get tested for hormone problems unless you are just not being 100% truthful to yourself while logging.

I definitley agree that total calories in and calories out is a huge factor in weightloss. However, the type of calories you are eating are important as well. For example, it takes more time and calories to break down and digest protein than it does a simple carbohydrate. You stay fuller longer and your less likely to have dips in blood sugar levels or energy.

Add to that, if you are like me an have insulin problems that cause your body to store carbs as fat (simply put). The majority of my food needs to be lean protein, complex carbohydrates (veggies), etc. I have to use a 1g:2g ratio (of protein complex carbs). I also have to limit my carb intake to no more than 30 grams in a 2 hour period. The ratio, timing, and my medicine allow my body to properly respond to food.

So, take a little advice from all of the above posters. Check your intake and ouput. Have a doctor check your hormones, blood sugar, mineral and vitamin counts (for deficiencies), and tweak your food to be nutritionally right for you. Good luck! Keep at it.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I looked at the last 20 days.

2 days looked incomplete....

Given that tho in those 20 days you were over your goal 13 of them....for a total of 2925 calories...

Given you don't weigh your food and days were incomplete....that could be as high as 5000 calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • krisp1108
    krisp1108 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well good for you for taking the time to log for 115 days, but to question why you're not losing weight must be some kind of a joke.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

It is always calories in/out. Always.
    OP I would go to the doctor to get tested for hormone problems unless you are just not being 100% truthful to yourself while logging.

I definitley agree that total calories in and calories out is a huge factor in weightloss. However, the type of calories you are eating are important as well. For example, it takes more time and calories to break down and digest protein than it does a simple carbohydrate. Add to that, if you are like me an have insulin problems that cause your body to store carbs as fat (simply put). So, take a little advice from all of the above posters. Check your intake and ouput. Have a doctor check your hormones, blood sugar, mineral and vitamin counts (for deficiencies), and tweak your food to be nutritionally right for you. Good luck! Keep at it.

did you look at the diary???? Hormones....really...:laugh:

The type of calorie does not matter for weight loss...health maybe but not weight loss....
  • lucentabella
    lucentabella Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Nah, but it won't hurt to have them examined. The key is still: intake vs output. The OP can look at the diary and be honest with themself on whether or not she's meeting that requirement. Maybe hormones or whatever are causing cravings or needs that keep sabotaging their efforts. I know for me, one of the reasons I was so hungry and tired all the time was because my blood sugar was a roller coaster. Since the dr got me on the right meds, I am always able to stick to my calorie limits.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    1. Calorie deficit=weight loss
    Calorie surplus=weight gain

2. If weight loss is the goal and you are not losing weight, there is a miscalculation somewhere along the line.

3. Unless you have a medical condition, there is no reason to reduce or eliminate items from your intake.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I looked at the last 20 days.

2 days looked incomplete....

Given that tho in those 20 days you were over your goal 13 of them....for a total of 2925 calories...

Given you don't weigh your food and days were incomplete....that could be as high as 5000 calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Most likely this is your culprit OP.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Your diary shows you are eating too much.

One entry stood out - 5 plates of chinese buffet logged as 1800 calories. That is...optimistic.