How much do you tip your garbageman?

Options

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    When I lived in Michigan, it was about $10 (this was back in the day though, so I'm sure the number has gone up since then). In Chicago, I lived in an apartment complex, and the main office would tip them. So I never worried about it there. Here in Hawaii, there's a guy who drives the truck, but the truck itself has one of those mechanical arms that just dumps the garbage into the back, so the guy never gets out. I would put the envelope on there, but I don't think he would even see it to get his tip! I asked my neighbors and said they never did it. I guess it depends on where you live and how you're able to even get their tip to them.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Valet trash service is rolled into rent at our apartment. I'm thankful that I don't have to walk my own trash to the dumpster but I'm not concerned about tipping--the company contracted to do the work pays their own employees.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Next time you get a great phlebotomist who sticks you first time without you even feeling it, at least ask if the hospital has some sort of recognition program so you can put in a good word for them. It makes a difference.

Disclaimer : My wife is a phlebotomist.
    Hell, I'd tip her if she could draw my blood the first time; I have "wandering veins". I got tired of getting pin-cushioned by 3-4 people. I'd always walk in and ask for "the best person" and they'd always say "Oh, that's me!" Bull$hit! After several blood drives being there 20-30 min longer than everyone else, I quit donating.

My wife is the one they call when no-one else can stick you, so she very well may be able to. She's spookily good at her job, and kinda creeps me out when we are sat together because she subconsciously starts feeling around for the veins in my hands and arms. Her motto is "if you have to look, you aren't good enough". :laugh:
  • purplepink1992
    Options
    Wait, some of you's pay to have your garbage picked up in general? Lol
  • mayaocean
    mayaocean Posts: 355 Member
    Options

Yes. It's called taxes. Just because you're unaware that you pay for them, doesn't mean you're not funding these services. :wink:
  • purplepink1992
    Options

Yes. It's called taxes. Just because you're unaware that you pay for them, doesn't mean you're not funding these services. :wink:

I understand taxes... What I was questioning was the people posting who just made it sound like it's something they pay as separate bill each month.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

I understand taxes... What I was questioning was the people posting who just made it sound like it's something they pay as separate bill each month.

Yes, I have to pay a garbage disposal service.

Are you perhaps somewhere like England (my homeland) where taxes cover rubbish collection? Or perhaps you just live in an all-inclusive apartment complex so you don't get the bill?
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    According to this site - http://garbagemansalary.net/MO/Lake-Saint-Louis/salary/Garbage-Man-Salary - local garbage men earn an astonishing $46k to $66k a year.

Sorry, I'm not tipping someone who makes twice what I make a year that doesn't even have to handle my garbage. Their hydraulic cyborg truck arms do all the work.
  • purplepink1992
    Options

Yes, I have to pay a garbage disposal service.

Are you perhaps somewhere like England (my homeland) where taxes cover rubbish collection? Or perhaps you just live in an all-inclusive apartment complex so you don't get the bill?

I'm in Canada :) so same protocol as England.

I just found it interesting/different to hear!
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Next time you get a great phlebotomist who sticks you first time without you even feeling it, at least ask if the hospital has some sort of recognition program so you can put in a good word for them. It makes a difference.

Disclaimer : My wife is a phlebotomist.
    Hell, I'd tip her if she could draw my blood the first time; I have "wandering veins". I got tired of getting pin-cushioned by 3-4 people. I'd always walk in and ask for "the best person" and they'd always say "Oh, that's me!" Bull$hit! After several blood drives being there 20-30 min longer than everyone else, I quit donating.

My wife is the one they call when no-one else can stick you, so she very well may be able to. She's spookily good at her job, and kinda creeps me out when we are sat together because she subconsciously starts feeling around for the veins in my hands and arms. Her motto is "if you have to look, you aren't good enough". :laugh:

I will let you know when I have my next doctor's appointment. Prior to the date, please send your wife to my house and have her follow me around the hospital to draw my blood. The last time I went, they had 4 people do it! I was so bruised and sore! And needles are my biggest fear. 4 people, vomit, fainting, oxygen, tears, and one very embarrassed husband! I would be willing to tip her my entire savings.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Ummm, in my town, they are city workers who make $50k-+ /year plus benefits They drive a truck with an automated arm that lifts the barrel up and dumps it into the truck. They have AC/Heat and listen to the radio and sit on their butts all day. They should be tipping me for putting my bin out to the street properly.

I would never tip a government employee for doing their job!

Unless your garbage man is climbing a couple of flights of stairs to get your bags (like I saw on Dirty Jobs once, in San Francisco), I don't think you need to tip them anything.

If you feel compelled anyway, I would bake some brownies., come out in a robe, and "accidentally let it fling open" so they can take a peek. That way they get 2 treats!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    most people who live in/near big cities know to tip the grabageman, mailman, doorman etc...but the smaller town/middle america types seem to overlook it or are ignorant about.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    most people who live in/near big cities know to tip the grabageman, mailman, doorman etc...but the smaller town/middle america types seem to overlook it or are ignorant about.

I live in a big metropolis (2M+ People).

I would bet that less than 1 out 10 people know the name of the person who delivers their mail. I would bet 1 in 100 knows who their garbage collector is. The collectors don't even get out of the truck any more. They don't come around any more to check the meter (its all electronic now).

I was standing talking to my neighbor and we were blocking my driveway. A guy came around in a car tossing out the local free newspaper. Well he skipped my house because we were in his way. Such service from him! I've never had paid newspaper service as an adult and don't ever plan on paying for something I can get free on the internet.

They passed a law that any house built since 1989 must have a group mail box. So there is no delivery of mail to the house. In fact, my mail carrier comes dressed in street clothes, looks sloppy, and is driving an unmarked van. He's is kind of rude when I talk to him. They often deliver the wrong mail to the wrong box. I would never consider tipping him. There are 100,000's of homes built in the 90's and 2000's. So hardly anyone has a mail box in front of their house.

I think it's actually the opposite. People in rural areas DO KNOW their drivers, they are their neighbors and fellow church goers. You get into a 500,000+ person town and everyone is anonymous.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I always give Xmas ornaments to the garbagepeople, the mailperrson, drycleaner, tailor, public librarians, subway attendant. (I also live in a big city.)

I just think that the holidays are a perfect time to show people that you appreciate them..and lots of people make my life better and the holidays are the time I acknowledge them.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I dont tip them anything. They actually owe me about 4 recycle bins and a few garbage cans too, they throw them all over the place and break them or they end up in the street and get hit so No I do not tip them :grumble: :angry: :explode: :mad:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    do you need to tip them??????

Yes, they do hard work and deserve it more than people who carry around food in climate controlled environments.
    Servers make $2 an hour, garbagemen make more like $20 an hour. Which one do you think really needs the tip?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

In the U.S it depends on the municipality. Some cities have government garbage pickup (though it's becoming more rare) while others contract with private companies...becoming very common. In my city, garbage collection is contracted out to a private company, so yes...we get a separate bill for that just like we do for our utilities, etc.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

In the U.S it depends on the municipality. Some cities have government garbage pickup (though it's becoming more rare) while others contract with private companies...becoming very common. In my city, garbage collection is contracted out to a private company, so yes...we get a separate bill for that just like we do for our utilities, etc.

us too every month, but I will say we've got a pretty sweet dumpster out of it. 2 cubic feet fill up that bad boy all night.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    They should tip us for as much as we have to pay and all the taxes they add on. JS :tongue:
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

I live in a big metropolis (2M+ People).

I would bet that less than 1 out 10 people know the name of the person who delivers their mail. I would bet 1 in 100 knows who their garbage collector is. The collectors don't even get out of the truck any more. They don't come around any more to check the meter (its all electronic now).

I was standing talking to my neighbor and we were blocking my driveway. A guy came around in a car tossing out the local free newspaper. Well he skipped my house because we were in his way. Such service from him! I've never had paid newspaper service as an adult and don't ever plan on paying for something I can get free on the internet.

They passed a law that any house built since 1989 must have a group mail box. So there is no delivery of mail to the house. In fact, my mail carrier comes dressed in street clothes, looks sloppy, and is driving an unmarked van. He's is kind of rude when I talk to him. They often deliver the wrong mail to the wrong box. I would never consider tipping him. There are 100,000's of homes built in the 90's and 2000's. So hardly anyone has a mail box in front of their house.

I think it's actually the opposite. People in rural areas DO KNOW their drivers, they are their neighbors and fellow church goers. You get into a 500,000+ person town and everyone is anonymous.

its not about knowing them its about doing what is right. and thats tipping them. now if you are getting bad service then of course you shouldnt tip...otherwise dont be a miser.