How much do you tip your garbageman?

Options
12346»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    most people who live in/near big cities know to tip the grabageman, mailman, doorman etc...but the smaller town/middle america types seem to overlook it or are ignorant about.

I live in a big metropolis (2M+ People).

I would bet that less than 1 out 10 people know the name of the person who delivers their mail. I would bet 1 in 100 knows who their garbage collector is. The collectors don't even get out of the truck any more. They don't come around any more to check the meter (its all electronic now).

I was standing talking to my neighbor and we were blocking my driveway. A guy came around in a car tossing out the local free newspaper. Well he skipped my house because we were in his way. Such service from him! I've never had paid newspaper service as an adult and don't ever plan on paying for something I can get free on the internet.

They passed a law that any house built since 1989 must have a group mail box. So there is no delivery of mail to the house. In fact, my mail carrier comes dressed in street clothes, looks sloppy, and is driving an unmarked van. He's is kind of rude when I talk to him. They often deliver the wrong mail to the wrong box. I would never consider tipping him. There are 100,000's of homes built in the 90's and 2000's. So hardly anyone has a mail box in front of their house.

I think it's actually the opposite. People in rural areas DO KNOW their drivers, they are their neighbors and fellow church goers. You get into a 500,000+ person town and everyone is anonymous.

its not about knowing them its about doing what is right. and thats tipping them. now if you are getting bad service then of course you shouldnt tip...otherwise dont be a miser.
    Why is it "right" to tip someone who makes twice as much money as I do, and gets all the holidays off, while I have to work all holidays, as I'm in retail? I don't get tips, and I put in way more hours per week than the average garbage man, who only work a 4 day week in my city.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Why is it "right" to tip someone who makes twice as much money as I do, and gets all the holidays off, while I have to work all holidays, as I'm in retail? I don't get tips, and I put in way more hours per week than the average garbage man, who only work a 4 day week in my city.

so if a waiter makes more than you you wont tip them either? nice.
  • mayaocean
    mayaocean Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    most people who live in/near big cities know to tip the grabageman, mailman, doorman etc...but the smaller town/middle america types seem to overlook it or are ignorant about.

I live in a big metropolis (2M+ People).

I would bet that less than 1 out 10 people know the name of the person who delivers their mail. I would bet 1 in 100 knows who their garbage collector is. The collectors don't even get out of the truck any more. They don't come around any more to check the meter (its all electronic now).

I was standing talking to my neighbor and we were blocking my driveway. A guy came around in a car tossing out the local free newspaper. Well he skipped my house because we were in his way. Such service from him! I've never had paid newspaper service as an adult and don't ever plan on paying for something I can get free on the internet.

They passed a law that any house built since 1989 must have a group mail box. So there is no delivery of mail to the house. In fact, my mail carrier comes dressed in street clothes, looks sloppy, and is driving an unmarked van. He's is kind of rude when I talk to him. They often deliver the wrong mail to the wrong box. I would never consider tipping him. There are 100,000's of homes built in the 90's and 2000's. So hardly anyone has a mail box in front of their house.

I think it's actually the opposite. People in rural areas DO KNOW their drivers, they are their neighbors and fellow church goers. You get into a 500,000+ person town and everyone is anonymous.

its not about knowing them its about doing what is right. and thats tipping them. now if you are getting bad service then of course you shouldnt tip...otherwise dont be a miser.

Yeah this is why I tip the sales associates that help me out (get different sizes of clothes in changing room, bring me different stuff, etc).

Usually 10%
  • tigersword
    Options

A waiter RELIES on tips to make any money at all. A Garbage man does quite well just by hourly rate.

Pay a garbage man $2 an hour, and I'll make sure to tip them. Again, why is it right to tip a garbage man (who is paid extremely well) but it isn't right to pay the customer service people in retail (who make less than half as much?)
  • xALEXANDROx
    xALEXANDROx Posts: 3,416 Member
    Options
    Not enough
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I was a bartender/server at restaurant and I think you have to be in that line of work to know how hard it really is. I not only have your table, but I have 6 others and im constantly having to make sure that your food is not only warm, but prepared correctly, bring you all the requests you made (ranch, ketchup) get you refills, listen to stories about your family or dog and do it with a smile on my face. It is climate controlled to you, but its burning up hot to us, with even sweat happening because some beezy decided to sit right under the air in a tank top during winter, so we have to turn the heater up so she will stop *****ing to us about it. I have seen servers have to clean poop/pee off tables seats, because they ignored their screaming kid long enough that they went to the bathroom on the seat. We also had to clean the bathrooms, do the dishes sometimes, and only made minimum wage. So yes, servers deserve a tip.

I babysat for about 4 years and got poop under the nails, been thrown up on I cant tell you how many times, and have a hundred other gross stories to tell....never got tipped because they paid me more than min wage to babysit
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    My disposal service has a spot on the invoice where you can include a tip...I usually add $20 for Xmas.

ETA: Same thing for other services like postman, groomer, etc.

My garbage company does the same thing. I think most do.
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Give him a tip....Stay outta dark alley!:laugh:
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

A waiter RELIES on tips to make any money at all. A Garbage man does quite well just by hourly rate.

Pay a garbage man $2 an hour, and I'll make sure to tip them. Again, why is it right to tip a garbage man (who is paid extremely well) but it isn't right to pay the customer service people in retail (who make less than half as much?)

i dont know how you sleep at night with that attitude.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    do you need to tip them??????

Yes, they do hard work and deserve it more than people who carry around food in climate controlled environments.

what about those of us who have to painstakingly stare at a computer all day and deal with consultants and what their idea of a "good design" is?!?!
    ugh.

Are you a part of the primary structure of what holds our society together? If you're not a nurse, doctor, waste collector, policeman etc. then no, you're not investing in the primary and essential structure of our society, you're just a part of the various capital generation schemes, and as such, of lesser real importance to people on the ground who might think about tipping you.

Wow, I guess RosaliaBee decides who contributes value to society.

I believe your kind is extinct.

That's super clever because my avatar is a dinosaur

OMG! You got it, how very impressive! And I thought no one was smart enough to get it, you cheeky bastage you!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options

Some of us have the means to, if you are broke then you don't have to do nothing. The Garbage men are making less than me, so I'm nice to them and leave them something during the holidays.
  • tigersword
    Options

i dont know how you sleep at night with that attitude.
    What attitude? That tipping people for doing their job is unnecessary when they are already very well paid for their jobs? Again, you haven't answered my question. Why is it "right" to tip one profession, but not all the others? Do you tip everyone in every store you shop in? Do you tip UPS drivers? How about the guy behind the counter at the gas station? Do you make sure he gets a tip also?

I'm just not seeing what's so special about a job that gets a very good salary and very good benefits that they deserve a tip over the thousands of other people.
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    sounds funny to tip council to remove bins lol greetings :)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    do you need to tip them??????

Yes, they do hard work and deserve it more than people who carry around food in climate controlled environments.

what about those of us who have to painstakingly stare at a computer all day and deal with consultants and what their idea of a "good design" is?!?!
    ugh.

Are you a part of the primary structure of what holds our society together? If you're not a nurse, doctor, waste collector, policeman etc. then no, you're not investing in the primary and essential structure of our society, you're just a part of the various capital generation schemes, and as such, of lesser real importance to people on the ground who might think about tipping you.

well color me disappointed.

this is the first chance i've had to come back to this thread and it seems i missed this (now deactivated) user's intelligent input. *sigh*