Why diet cola could be making you FATTER and WRINKLIER

Options

Replies

• Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Where is the gif of the girl who drinks diet soda and then explodes!?
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    127814606985.jpg
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I cut back on Diet Pepsi not for those reasons but because Aspartame isn't the greatest thing for you.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I don't trust the British when it comes to advice on dentistry.
    Hey! I'm British, aged 53 and I've got all my own teeth.
    OK so they are in a glass of water next to the bed but......

:ohwell:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I cut back on Diet Pepsi not for those reasons but because Aspartame isn't the greatest thing for you.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Diet colas have long been regarded as the dieter's friend - but one-calorie fizzy drinks may actually be the reason you can't shift that stubborn spare tyre.
    Some health experts now believe the chemicals in the drink could actually be causing your body to lay down fat deposits around your middle - dubbed 'diet cola belly' - reports Get The Gloss.
    And that's not all: some experts also believe diet cola’s mix of carbonated water, colourings and sweeteners such as aspartame and acesulfame K could also speed up the ageing process, and have disastrous health consequences.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2520746/Why-diet-cola-making-FATTER-WRINKLIER-Low-calorie-drink-blame-spare-tyre-withered-skin.html#ixzz2n4PNxPAy

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Yeah, you can totally see my diet cola belly in my profile picture, from drinking 4-6 cans of diet coke a day. Oh wait...

You're my hero. You look amazing and my have a greater love for diet coke than I do!

:blushing: I even drink a regular can of coke now and then too-living on the wild side over here lol.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I don't trust the British when it comes to advice on dentistry.
    Hey! I'm British, aged 53 and I've got all my own teeth.
    OK so they are in a glass of water next to the bed but......

:ohwell:

Haha, I'm just joking around. :)
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Just explain how you see diet coke as healthy?

I dont agree with everything in this article but do believe diet colas can't be too good for you.

Isn't enough to know that it's not BAD for you? In moderation, of course, just like anything.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Diet colas have long been regarded as the dieter's friend - but one-calorie fizzy drinks may actually be the reason you can't shift that stubborn spare tyre.
    Some health experts now believe the chemicals in the drink could actually be causing your body to lay down fat deposits around your middle - dubbed 'diet cola belly' - reports Get The Gloss.
    And that's not all: some experts also believe diet cola’s mix of carbonated water, colourings and sweeteners such as aspartame and acesulfame K could also speed up the ageing process, and have disastrous health consequences.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2520746/Why-diet-cola-making-FATTER-WRINKLIER-Low-calorie-drink-blame-spare-tyre-withered-skin.html#ixzz2n4PNxPAy

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Yeah, you can totally see my diet cola belly in my profile picture, from drinking 4-6 cans of diet coke a day. Oh wait...

You're my hero. You look amazing and my have a greater love for diet coke than I do!

:blushing: I even drink a regular can of coke now and then too-living on the wild side over here lol.

Yeah, screw the diet shizz!
  • samanthahix12
    Options
    whatevs5.gif
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options

The Daily Mail

1sm173drums1.gif
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    daily mail? enough said!

^^this
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Not everything I eat and drink has to be for it's nutritional value. Sometimes I eat or drink something just because I like the taste.

You cray cray :wink:
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/europe-diet-sweetener-aspartame-safe-cola-21159901

Europe: Diet Sweetener Aspartame Is Safe in Cola
    AMSTERDAM December 10, 2013 (AP)
    Associated Press
    The European Food Safety Authority has found that the artificial sweetener aspartame is safe for people to consume at the levels currently used in diet soft drinks.

After conducting a major review of evidence, the agency said Tuesday it has ruled out any "potential risk of aspartame causing damage to genes and inducing cancer."

The finding will be welcome news to Coca Cola Co., which recently launched an advertising campaign to dispel fears about Diet Coke after other studies showed that aspartame might be dangerous, leading to a fall in sales.

Aspartame, the sweetener used in Diet Coke, is also known under the brand name NutraSweet.

The ESFA, the European Union's food risk assessment agency, is based in Parma, Italy.
  • Dino_bacon2112
    Dino_bacon2112 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Will it make me hairier too? I ask because I'm planning on going as an old man for Halloween next year and I want to start working on my costume now.
  • kuroi19
    Options
    I think nobody in their right mind can say that diet cola is "healthy". It's obvious that water and other are a lot more healthy to drink. There are no real visible drawbacks to this though. Just compare this to smoking, a lot of people smoke right? And they know 100% well that it's damn unhealthy, and they can see the results of it, immediate results like the smell and the medium term like the cough, they also know fully well that it leads to all sorts of respiratory issues. They still smoke.

Why would diet soda drinkers not drink? Why would you expect them to stop based on made up stories while the same populace won't stop smoking even fully aware of the cons? Diet soda has no visible or proven effects. It is harmless as far as we are aware, and if you are willing to go into fantasy land of assumption, then everything kills us. I personally think it saves more lives from being lost to obesity, a real threat, and saves up hospital costs. But I guess you don't like that? People being healthy? People not dying? Let them be fat and die so long as they don't drink a soda you have a personal bias against right?

Diet soda making someone fat is the worst idea ever. I can't believe you can be on this site yet referring to such silly idea. It has 0-1 calories, and you should be well aware that we need a bloody lot more energy to build anything. If we can produce fat on virtually no calories then heck the hunger crisis is over! Ship diet soda over to Africa fast! they will all be fat in no time. Apparently it can magically produce human tissue from nothing! If the article argued that the chemicals slow the metabolism or affect Thyroid I'd get it and listen, the idea of diet soda being converted right into fat is stupid. It can't happen, and was spun off purely to grab attention, scare, and make little pennies for that good for nothing, sorry excuse of a journalist. Congratz on giving that guy credit, and helping him make a career on that.
  • sapientivore
    Options
    It doesn't make calories appear out of nowhere or something farfetched like that, it just confuses your body. When we taste something sweet, whether it's sugar or artificial, the body switches from operating off its own reserves to operating off the fresh intake. It expects to get energy. If you're drinking diet soda and not eating with it, then of course your body will eventually realize that it needs to go back to stored fuel. But if you're drinking it with a meal, then it can play havoc on how much of that meal is stored as fat.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    daily mail? enough said!

Lol, Sad but true
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Just explain how you see diet coke as healthy?

I dont agree with everything in this article but do believe diet colas can't be too good for you.

Although I totally despise the mail because it is generally just a right wing brain wash paper and don't want to in any way support it I do think we have a case of an infinite group of monkeys and a Shakespeare sonnet lol I have seen peer reviewed research that shows that drinking diet coke can in fact increase weight indirectly. Psychologically the brain experiences the sweetener as sugar and the brain readies itself for the sugar rush (I am guessing by damping down some neurotransmitters which are just about to spike such as endorphin). Because the brain doesn't receive a sugar hit to compensate for its already slightly wound down preemptive state it can cause sugar cravings which can lead to people consuming unhealthy foods... that the hypothesis anyway. I would guess that there are many correlative as well as causal relationships going on though. It may be worth doing a trawl on scholar to see if any other research has been carried out