What is the best store bought hummus?

Options

Replies

• elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    yes home made is the way to go. it's even faster if you have a food processor - maybe 5 minutes. By making it yourself you can play with the ingredients so you can figure out what you like and what you don't like. Jessica posted an excellent classic recipe.
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Not store bought but is a restaurant I love called Aladdin's Eatery. If you have one where you live (they're a smaller but growing chain) please do yourself a favor and go buy their hummus to go! It's delicious/the best I've ever had.

other than that, I hate Sabras. Tribe is OKAY. Nothing compares to Aladdin's for me. They sort of ruined anything I could buy at a store.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's brands. Everything else tastes super salty and preservative-y to me.
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I absolutely HATE store bought hommous! It doesn't even taste like the real thing.

I make my own from scratch. It takes like 15 minutes max, and it's much better for you and I've noticed the canned chick peas even have more protein than the store bought hommous.

Ingredients
    1 can chick peas
    5 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
    The juice of 1-2 lemons
    3 cloves of crushed garlic
    Salt to taste

Method
    1. Drain and rinse chick peas. Use a blender/stick blender to blend it down until you get the right consistency.
    2. Add tahini, lemon, crushed garlic and salt into a separate container and mix well.
    3. Combine all ingredients together until you get the desired consistency.
    DONE.

Note: If it's a little too dry, you can play with the quantities of lemon juice. I sometimes add in a table spoon of warm water to help it combine better. I LOVE mine really lemony, so I usually add more lemon, each to their own.

Edit: This is the Lebanese way of making hommous bi tahini. For serving, they usually put it on a plate and serve with olive oil, parsley and spices. I take mine to work so I don't prepare it like this. I only go to the extra effort if I'm having people over :)

thanks for posting this!!!!
  • olehcat
    olehcat Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am a hummus snob, so I mostly make my own, but Sabra is the only store-bought brand I would touch.
  • Jessica_Mujahidah
    Jessica_Mujahidah Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I absolutely HATE store bought hommous! It doesn't even taste like the real thing.

I make my own from scratch. It takes like 15 minutes max, and it's much better for you and I've noticed the canned chick peas even have more protein than the store bought hommous.

Ingredients
    1 can chick peas
    5 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
    The juice of 1-2 lemons
    3 cloves of crushed garlic
    Salt to taste

Method
    1. Drain and rinse chick peas. Use a blender/stick blender to blend it down until you get the right consistency.
    2. Add tahini, lemon, crushed garlic and salt into a separate container and mix well.
    3. Combine all ingredients together until you get the desired consistency.
    DONE.

Note: If it's a little too dry, you can play with the quantities of lemon juice. I sometimes add in a table spoon of warm water to help it combine better. I LOVE mine really lemony, so I usually add more lemon, each to their own.

Edit: This is the Lebanese way of making hommous bi tahini. For serving, they usually put it on a plate and serve with olive oil, parsley and spices. I take mine to work so I don't prepare it like this. I only go to the extra effort if I'm having people over :)

thanks for posting this!!!!

You're welcome! Enjoy :)

I think once you realise how simple and quick it is to make your own, you can't go back to store bought. I actually never liked hommous until I tried authentic Middle Eastern food... it helps that I'm engaged to a Lebanese guy lol.
  • aubryannewilson
    aubryannewilson Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!! I originally didn't want to make my own because I wasn't sure how much I would like it but I've changed my mind after reading the recipes y'all have posted!!
  • Number_44
    Number_44 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Ooopps. I read that as store bought humans.

Was hoping to pick up a couple for the holidays. I guess theres no point in asking for a coupon now. *kicks rocks*
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I'd never heard of Sabra until this thread... Then I went home and saw a commercial for it. Fate. I'll definitely keep an eye out for it next time I'm at the store!
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I have found a lot of store bought brands to be a little too lemony for me. However, I tried the Target Market Pantry one (in lots of flavors- garlic, roasted red pepper, traditional etc) to be the best. So yummy!

Edit to add- Also Trader Joes has a pesto one with pine nuts that is bomb.:love:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

You're welcome! Enjoy :)

I think once you realize how simple and quick it is to make your own, you can't go back to store bought. I actually never liked hommous until I tried authentic Middle Eastern food... it helps that I'm engaged to a Lebanese guy lol.

Yes- it's extremely easy to make. But it's easier to buy it at the store.... and let's be honest Sabra is damn close to the real thing. I've had it all over the world. I currently work at a Lebanese place. My BF's family is Syrian/Lebanese- she makes her own. needless to say- I eat a lot of hummus and have had a lot of quality all over the place.
    And for what it's worth- Sabra is damn good for a store bought brand.

I happily switch back and forth between home made and store bought. I do a lot of cooking as it is- making hummus is a chore for me- so I don't. shrug- to each there own- but some of us are quiet happy switching back and forth!
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I like Sabra, Tribe, Athenos, and the Shoprite brand is great too. I dislike Cedar's.
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    When I started eating hummus, I had no information at all. So, I just tried all of them, that being around 10-15 different brands . . . :) That being said, we have a lot of local brands around here, so I don't know if you will have it, but the best one, by far, is a company called Haig.

Good luck!
  • Lecterman
    Lecterman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    For my tastes, nothing compares to Fountain of Health.

And they're Baba Ganoush is awesome too
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I like the Sabra flavors. The Tuscan Herb is good, and the spicy pepper one. I usually add some hot sauce to it.

I like to make my own too. You MUST put good extra virgin olive oil in it! chick peas, tahini, lemon, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
  • casiobarnes
    casiobarnes Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I make my own hummus with kidney beans instead of chickpeas. It's quite good! For everyone who makes their hummus at home on the reg, I suggest trying it with kidney beans sometime!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Sabra Roasted Red Pepper!

I also like experimenting with making my own, but you need a strong blender or food processor to make it smooth.
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Sabra Extra Spicy is FANTASTIC!!!!
  • clare_smiles
    clare_smiles Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's Original Tahini-Free hummus. They have other flavors too!
  • mfigurski
    mfigurski Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I definitely like Sabra products. If you have an Aldi near you, they have a brand (I can't remember the actual name) of red pepper hummus that is out of this world!

Now I want hummus!!!