How often do you deadlift?

Options
Just wondering. What other people do because I'm bored and nosey.

I'm starting to remember how much deadlifts wipe me out, not just that day, but also the day after.

I'm following a 5x5 program and end up doing them once or twice or week, but i'm starting to think I may have to either leave this to once a week or have 1 day be a heavy day and the other be a light day.

Replies

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Well when I started 5x5 I totally messed up and did 5x5 of deadlifts, oops, took a few months before I realised lol!

Now doing them once sometimes twice a week.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Monday is heavy dead day.
    Back day- usually Saturday Sunday- I do light deads.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Not often enough... I do need to do them more often.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    About four to five weeks per year
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Once a week. Though I switch up what day it is on. I suck at them. My family has a history of back problems, so a super heavy lift for me is small compared to others. It's the only lift I am considered untrained in (accoting to strstd).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Once per week, on Tuesday.

skinnyinnotime-- I did that too. :blushing: And I quickly found that I had horrific recovery issues. I think it might have been Dave who said "hey idiot, you're doing it wrong"*

*dramatic reenactment, may not reflect actual words used
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    One heavy, focused day and one day as supplemental, usually lighter and use variations like sumo and Romanian
  • Wolfeaj19
    Wolfeaj19 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just started Stronglifts at the beginning of the month...

So twice

It will be thrice on Friday :)
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Once. Today was my deadlift day. Love them.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options

I take it your not training your deadlift?! Lol unless your just trying to make us all do math...
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Once a week is all. I'm actually making better progress doing them 1x/week then when I was doing them 2x/week. If you're going heavy they are a very taxing lift.
  • kellenas
    kellenas Posts: 154
    Options
    Not often enough... I do need to do them more often.

This...I love them!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

skinnyinnotime-- I did that too. :blushing: And I quickly found that I had horrific recovery issues. I think it might have been Dave who said "hey idiot, you're doing it wrong"*

I used to get dizzy :blushing:
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Twice per week.
    One day is heavy dedicated "deadlift/back" day. It also happens to be my most favorite day of the week ;)
    Then, I do Romanians (lower intensity/higher volume) on leg day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    2x a week ..I do sumo DL on Tuesday and regular DL on Friday...
  • mwhite61451
    mwhite61451 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm following what the program says, so one week you will do deadlifts 1x and the next week 2x. Also per the program you ony do one set, not 5.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I take it your not training your deadlift?! Lol unless your just trying to make us all you math...

Not a fan of them. They screw up my performance in squats in addition to screwing up my recovery for other lifts. USMCMP suckered me into doing some 25x250 deadlift challenge thing a few weeks back and it screwed up my squats for two weeks.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    2x per week. Typically one heavy day for strength and one day in a hypertrophy range.

OP - if you're having trouble with DL 2x a week on StrongLifts, you could always switch to Starting Strength, where you only DL 1x per week - substitute Pendlay Rows on one day for Power Cleans, and maybe chin- or pull-ups the other day - lat pulldowns, if you can't do chins or pulls.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

I did exactly the same thing. It was my back that yelled at me (and lack of progress) that made me realize what was happening.

I also deadlift heavy on Tuesdays as well.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I did exactly the same thing. It was my back that yelled at me (and lack of progress) that made me realize what was happening.

I also deadlift heavy on Tuesdays as well.

This is why we're friends.

:laugh: