Once a week.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Twice a week
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Twice - once on back day (conventional), once on leg day (a variation - sumo, snatch grip, deficit, rack etc.)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Think I last did them in 1987...(*)

* = before really screwing my back up.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Once a week... just like all my other lifts (I'm doing Wendler's 5/3/1)

It's my favorite day though!

Today I broke my 1RM PR. 315! :happy: :happy: :happy:

AWESOME LIFT!!! Congrats on the PR!!!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Once a week.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    currently, maybe once a week. This bulgarian system doesn't leave much room for them.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    interesting responses, it seems like if i'm wanting to get some good increase in my weight i should stick to once a week. here's an interesting article i found on why it's best to only do DLs once a week not sure how credible it is:

http://johnalvino.com/the-exercise-thats-too-effective-to-do-every-week/
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Once per week tends to be about right. There is a longer recovery time for deadlifts. I've seen people have some success with a second, very light weekly session too. It really depends on what the rest of your program entails.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Once per week. Today actually. I am thinking about adding them to my other lifting sessions, I really like them.

Eta: maybe not add them to other sessions, most posters seem to think that hinders further progress.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    When I was doing RPT, I did deads 3x/week. it's all a matter of programming, to be honest. Bob Peoples pulled to a max single every day, and pulled 725 at 180 lbs with a double pronated grip.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Depends if I'm not doing a 5/2 calorie cycle. I'd go heavy 1 day and light 1 day. First of the month is always a 1 rep max. If I'm on a calorie cycle I do them 1 time a week since I'm stuck doing them on leg day since the other high calorie day is for Chest.
  • accendo
    accendo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    As heavy as I can twice a week.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    The programs I have been doing and the one I'm going to start next week don't have regular DL's, so never in my case.

I have been doing SLDL's 3 times per week on my previous 3 x/ week full body routines. Next week I will be switching to an upper/lower split with 2 x /week SLDL.
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    One or two times per week.
    Currently following an UB/LB routine. I have the deadlift in my LB routine.
    Some times I will go heavy one both days, some times one days is reps and the other strength and sometimes I switch up the barbell with dumbbells.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    based on my legs/push/pull routine, i do it twice a week..
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Conventional Deads once a week.

I do Romanians on Squat day as secondary lift too.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    When I was doing RPT, I did deads 3x/week. it's all a matter of programming, to be honest. Bob Peoples pulled to a max single every day, and pulled 725 at 180 lbs with a double pronated grip.

Not to derail the thread, but how did you find RPT? Not the Martin version? Something of your own devising?
  • Huffdogg
    Options

Not to derail the thread, but how did you find RPT? Not the Martin version? Something of your own devising?

I started with Berkhan's program, but found that his split routine is probably better suited to someone way leaner than I was at the time (it would probably be a great recomp/pure aesthetics routine, but the volume was too low for me personally). I stumbled onto Andy Morgan's site, which is basically a "leangains for people who find Martin to be TL;DR" and liked his RPT Big 3 routine, which really is nothing dramatic or really even particularly clever. It's just squat/bench/deadlift every other day, with an RPT structure.

I tend to do pretty well on autoregulated programs like RPT, GZCL Method, or this Bulgarian Method I'm trying right now, particularly while I'm cutting. Being in a deficit makes it a bit more challenging for me to follow a prescribed set/rep/% program. Any of these systems let me push myself to my capacity on a day by day basis, which, I think, brings us back around to being on-topic. You can pull as often as you can pull. Some people can do it daily (likely genetic outliers, obviously). Some are successful with doing it twice a month.

My main piece of advice would be: if you want to pull with more frequency, take care not to miss reps. A missed rep on a deadlift is a seriously stressing affair for your body. Leave one in the tank.