annoyed by even having a body at this point

Options
Everyone on here seems to be about those ~non-scale victories.~ Okay, fine.

Well, I have a minor SV so far: I've lost about thirty pounds. Yay me.

What bugs me is, I haven't gotten any slimmer (I recorded new measurements, but honestly with the way my body is shaped I can wiggle the tape measure and easily add or subtract an inch from my measurements. It means very little.) My clothes fit exactly the same.

I know that, for example, the gap between sizes is bigger when you're a bigger person, and that weight loss takes longer to show on bigger bodies. It's just a little disheartening (read: annoying) that I don't look different, my clothes don't fit different, and in fact the only difference is the number on the scale.

I do some strength training every-other day, I try to include (but tend to forget to log) a little cardio each day. I don't think I'm missing any essential part of weight loss here, and honestly there may not be a point to this post in the end except for me to vent a bit. Anyone else take a very long time to lose any inches or change size, even though they lost pounds steadily?

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I tend to be the opposite. Sorry.

Aside from that, how are your progressing with your weight loss?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I started losing inches first in areas I don't measure, like my knees and shoulders. I could tell they were slimmer, but of course my measurements didn't show it :)
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I have lost 45 pounds and am only down 2 sizes. I don't see a significant difference other than I look "less puffy."
  • forevermaryb
    forevermaryb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It took more than a 30 pound loss for me to really see any changes. I had gone down 1 pant size during that time, but I didn't feel like I looked any different. All of a sudden, after not much more loss, I dropped 2 sizes practically over night. That's when others started noticing my loss as well. I also lost in odd areas that weren't part of the usual measuring. Keep at it; the results will come.
  • _Giselle_
    Options
    Reading your profile I could see that some of your motivation and goals were to be able to be more active and not be at risk when it comes to heart disease for example... right now, when things like clothes are the same, maybe you can draw some inspiration from those?

You've lost 30lbs and you do some weight training and cardio, does that feel the very same as when you started? Or are you stronger? Faster? Maybe that counts too?

Even if you're not quite proud of your body yet, are you proud of the changes you've made? Are you proud of having probably given yourself whole years back to live?

For me anyway I would hope that stuff would help me keep at it if I was in your situation. Well done on your progress so far!!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    first of all, congrats on your SV!

im sorry youre frustrated, and i do understand your position.

when starting at a high weight (and high BF%), it is not as easy to SEE the progress in the mirror as it is to feel it.

obviously what youre doing is working well, so continue to do it, and i'm sure it wont be too long before you DO start to see it!

patience is so key. keep kicking *kitten*....you won't be sorry!
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I have lost 45 pounds and am only down 2 sizes. I don't see a significant difference other than I look "less puffy."

Same here. At 238, I was a size 16w and at 189, I am a size 14 or regular 16. And on a bad day, I am squeezing into those 14s. It is frustrating, but it really takes time and you need to be patient. There will be a point where you start seeing changes, if anything take pictures. When I saw some older and current pics of myself,my face is A LOT smaller. I don't see it so much when measuring, but in pics I see it for sure. I also try to focus on NSV like running up the escalator from hell in my commute instead of standing to the side. You will get there!!!
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    YES I FEEL YOUR PAIN:((( I have lost 44 lbs and yes, I do feel a difference, but not as different as I thought I would feel and look. Hardly no one has commented on my weight loss and it makes me want to cry! I saw a pic of myself the other day and was devastated that my face still looked FAT! UGH! I don't get it. I really dont. But.....There is no way I am quitting now. I don't want my kin folk to see me because they know how much I've lost and it's going to be embarrassing if they don't see what they feel a 44 lb loss should look like. It's making me impatient and I don't need to be impatient. It will only make me feel worse. So, yes I know how you feel.
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you're starting from, but I started around 250 and NO ONE said anything about it until I was down to about 200. I could barely even see changes myself for most of that time, and it was very disheartening. But if you keep doing what you're doing and dropping numbers on the scale, the non-scale things have to start changing, too, and once they do they just keep coming. Stay strong and keep up your amazing work - it'll happen.
  • focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Every 10-15 lbs lost is supposed to mean one size down. Supposedly.

I'm 180 now. I got down to 140 at one point. It wasn't until I was, oh, in the upper 150s that people started to comment. And then it really got noticeable when I went from the upper 150s to 140. That seemed to be some sort of tipping point.

But, of course, here I am. Gained it all back.

WHich is to say -- DO NOT BE LIKE ME. Don't get frustrated and don't give up. :-)
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! People will start to notice, the main thing is that you know that you're doing it. Keep on keeping on!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I'm a reasonably lean guy and I can add or subtract an inch in most of my measurements depending on tape positioning. I suspect it's a lot like scale weight where if you take the measurements often enough, you'll have a reliable trend...

...but I generally don't measure as often as I should.
  • grneyedgoddess77
    grneyedgoddess77 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have a list of NS Goals I'd like to reach, for exactly this reason. I started at 235lbs and a size 16 pant - at goal I'll be 162 and a size 12 pant. I don't change that much. But I do get a heck of a lot more muscles than I have now!
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I had to lose around 40 lbs to lose a size...and nobody noticed until then either. Talk about frustrating.

You ARE doing it though, and peeps will take notice soon. Keep your chin up :)
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Why not make a list of NS fitness related goals as a way to track your overall fitness progress?

-Walk x miles
    -Run y distance in x miles
    -Go down one belt hole
    etc
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    30 lbs is nothing to sneeze at! Be patient and you will see results. Did you take lots of "before" pictures?
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Why not make a list of NS fitness related goals as a way to track your overall fitness progress?

-Walk x miles
    -Run y distance in x miles
    -Go down one belt hole
    etc

Perfect answer. I lost weight in the weirdest places at first and the bottom half of me is driving me crazy. Then one day I decided to make a list of everything I could do now that I could not do a year ago. It's awesome. Post it on your wall. When you have a lot to lose, you have to find a variety of things to celebrate. They are there - you just have to recognize them.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Im not sure of your body weight but just looking at your Food Diary it looks like you can improve on certain foods so you can start eating less calories. How much are you working out? I dont see that added in either. Also is there a reason why you are eating so late? Even though I read that you can eat late as long as its in your calorie goal and youll burn off some that the next day as long as you exercise...maybe perhaps some healthier food choices?
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the progress so far.

I read your profile and understand your frustration. You might want to check out Overeaters Anonymous. There are some great podcasts online. If you go to meetings you will likely meet women who joined decades ago and have maintained their weight loss.

I hope you are feeling healthier. Some moral support in person might be beneficial to you to appreciate how working toward a healthy weight can help you in many different ways. If funds are tight you can still visit an OA meeting for free. Donations are collected but anyone out there who needs help should check OA out and see if the program might be beneficial .
  • Celuwen
    Celuwen Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It does take more weight when you're starting from a higher weight, doubly so if you're tall. I think weight loss on the scale can take a few weeks or so to be visible on a person. I can lose on the scale and be the same in measurements/clothes, then I'll not lose much or stick on the scale and suddenly lose inches/find my clothes looser.

It is a bit disheartening if you're losing on the scale but not seeing any difference in sizing, losing 30 pounds is not insignificant at any weight though and eventually your measurements will catch up. I guess I wanted you to know, I feel your frustration and am right there with you growling.