naturally thin people

Options

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is 23 years old, he's fairly tall and very thin. He eats EXCESSIVE amounts of food and drinks a lot of beer daily. The kids probably eating/drinking around 6,000 calories a day and hasn't gained weight in the last few years that I've known him. He doesn't exercise and basically sits around a majority of the day.

I would say he's naturally thin. His brother is the same way.

Or... your talking rubbish. Such things just dont happen.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    put peanut butter in and on everything then tell me you can't gain weight..

The whole NEAT thing is totally unproven in humans.
    I don't know what NEAT has to do with peanut butter but I can assure that our non-exercise activity (N.E.A.) is fueled with calories (T. for thermogenesis) just like our exercise activity and BMR activity is.

Not a proven significant factor.

Just an excuse.

Really? So someone who is on their feet all day walking around at work will not significantly use more energy than someone sitting at a desk all day? Or if someone bounces his legs up an down all day long like the annoying punk next to me does will use an insignificant amount of energy?

Hint: You need to define what "significant" means before you can answer those questions.
    Another hint: 50-100 kcals a day can be "significant" over the long term.
    Yet another hint: See physics and thermodynamics.

Eh what's the point. I thought I learned not to engage in these petty forum arguments. Although I am just trying to help people understand. I am not making excuses for people!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Are these topics covered in Guyton's?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

If the entire nervous energy calorie burn off were significant factor, yes, it WOULD be in Guytons.

There are a lot of different ideas out there about diet, weight loss, and calories. A lot of doctors, even, will espouse something based on preliminary studies or rat studies or just speculations.

Guyton's weeds all the crap out, and publishes only what is accepted by mainstream medicine- that is, medicine that has been proven to WORK.

Now, as someone pointed out, the last edition was printed in 2010. It takes time for these theories to be vetted and become accepted. The vast majority fall by the wayside.

Guyton's should not treated like a joke. If you laugh at it, you are revealing your own shameful ignorance!

If someone tries to rope into a certain program or dietary approach, or has an opinion on any aspect of physiology, "What does Guyton's say?" is a very good question.

Type in the topic on google, and then type in Guyton's and you will get your answer.

Is it NEAT expressly disputed or dispelled in Guyton's?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

The whole NEAT thing is totally unproven in humans.

I think doctors who treat Parkinson's Disease patients would disagree with you.

You don't actually know what NEAT is, do you? Or at least not when you replied to the post.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

You INVOKED! :angry:
  • GuateMamaX2
    Options
    My sister is naturally thin. She eats a lot of food, noting healthy since it's mostly take out or drive through and was a stay at home mom. She played with her kids but nothing major. She never gained a lot of weight, but if she was extra lazy she would get a bit of a tummy. Nothing noticeable though.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    My husband who is almost 60 is what everyone in our family calls "naturally thin". I call BS. The man figits, moves super fast. Does most things at a rapid pace. Few can keep up with him when he strolls. Also he eats little crap, though he eats quite a bit.
  • ThinEmpress
    Options
    Lol, you guys are funny. I am 5' 7, 105-110, and in high school. The walking I do is at school and guess what I do when I get home. I lay down and eat tv dinners, snacks, and then around 8:00 my moms cooks and I eat that, too. You guys are trying to make it seem like being naturally skinny is impossible. It's really not. When I was twelve-thirteen, my mom took me to a anorexia rehab place and asked them to to see if I could gain weight. They gave me high calorie (3000+) for 6 weeks daily, and my weight went up my 2 pounds. I did exactly what I did at home.

(I had to make an account just to post this) I am tired of people targeting skinny ones. This thread is like saying there is no such things as naturally fat.
  • summer21forever
    summer21forever Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The people who are "naturally thin" are the ones that picked up good eating habits or eat less meals (consuming less calories overall). There really is no such thing as naturally thin as you can't be the law of thermodynamics. Now, genetics can determine BMR to a certain extend but it's not going to be much greater than few hundred points.
    Eh.

I was one of those people and I ate A LOT and did not exercise. That changed when I was about 28-29, though.

My fiance, though, eats a gallon of ice cream a day, plus tons and tons of other food, doesn't worry about calories, barely exercises and is stick skinny.

Those people do actually exist.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Lol, you guys are funny. I am 5' 7, 105-110, and in high school. The walking I do is at school and guess what I do when I get home. I lay down and eat tv dinners, snacks, and then around 8:00 my moms cooks and I eat that, too. You guys are trying to make it seem like being naturally skinny is impossible. It's really not. When I was twelve-thirteen, my mom took me to a anorexia rehab place and asked them to to see if I could gain weight. They gave me high calorie (3000+) for 6 weeks daily, and my weight went up my 2 pounds. I did exactly what I did at home.

(I had to make an account just to post this) I am tired of people targeting skinny ones. This thread is like saying there is no such things as naturally fat.

Well sweetie, there is no such thing as 'naturally fat'. People get fat because they eat more than they burn. What you say you eat does not sound out of line for a growing teenager.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    My sister is naturally thin. She eats a lot of food, noting healthy since it's mostly take out or drive through and was a stay at home mom. She played with her kids but nothing major. She never gained a lot of weight, but if she was extra lazy she would get a bit of a tummy. Nothing noticeable though.

She clearly eats a lot less than you are giving her credit for. There is nothing wrong with drive-thru as long as you don't over eat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTr1JUvEiUU

Well worth the watch when you get a chance.
  • Beautyandthebeef
    Options
    I'm not sure why everyone is so adamant there is no such thing as people with higher metabolism-it's a medical fact that some people have a higher metabolic resting rate. You can even take tests for this. Granted many times the lack of weight gain can be explained but there are definitely people who inherently more burn fat/calories faster than others, and it's not because of something they are doing. Everyone's body works differently, and everyone will have a different metabolic rate.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

Well sweetie, there is no such thing as 'naturally fat'. People get fat because they eat more than they burn. What you say you eat does not sound out of line for a growing teenager.

Actually there are 'naturally fat' people born every day. Where do you think big babies come from? They don't over eat in the womb.
  • jhloves2knit
    jhloves2knit Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    One of the components of TDEE is PAEE. Many experts estimate this number to the largest variation in participants TDEE. This can often times explain why some people are capable of eating large amounts of food and still not gain weight, wheres another can eat very small amounts and barely maintain.

Maybe this is answered later in the thread, but what is PAEE?
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    There are some pretty interesting studies out there showing prenatal epigenetic programming of genes involved in energy intake and metabolism. I'm not so sure about the idea of 'naturally thin people' but I do believe that some people are born with a genetic constitution that makes them more prone to obesity. Perhaps it could go the other way, with some people epigenetically programmed to be more metabolically 'efficient'.

This study shows epigenetic changes in the leptin gene in the placenta of mothers with impaired glucose tolerance. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2963508/

The Dutch Hunger Winter story is a famous example of how under nutrition during a specific time in pregnancy can lead to increased susceptibility to metabolic problems in not only their children but also their grandchildren.

I find this stuff fascinating.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    The people who are "naturally thin" are the ones that picked up good eating habits or eat less meals (consuming less calories overall). There really is no such thing as naturally thin as you can't be the law of thermodynamics. Now, genetics can determine BMR to a certain extend but it's not going to be much greater than few hundred points.

Sorry just not true, I have many a naturally thin family member and was married to one. If eating two whole roast chickens and two whole pizzas not including snacks in a day and still staying thin is not naturally thin, I don't know what is. My brother, for example, will eat mass loads of Wendy's and McDonalds while consuming copious amounts of regular Coke and is as thin as a rake.
    What happens with very thin people is that junk food has the opposite affect and burns away quickly while killing any muscle mass they have, thats if they eat it on a regular basis. My ex husband was 45kg eating only a lot of junk food and pasta, he tried eating more and more to put on weight but he would just lose weight more, that's when he found out that his body needs low fat and high protein to work properly, he gained 20kg thats about 40lbs in straight muscle.
    PS I got my mum's genes, can't eat much starch or I put on weight quickly.
  • FattyBatty15
    Options
    Of course there are naturally thin people. Everybody is different but we have to eat for what we are, we can't change our body type but we can work with it!
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I think it's a myth. Everyone thinks I'm naturally thin, but it's just easier to believe that than the actual fact I eat very healthily and am very active.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Of course there are naturally thin people. Everybody is different but we have to eat for what we are, we can't change our body type but we can work with it!

Exactly. :-)