naturally thin people

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    My family is like this. Even those who eat a lot rarely become more than 40 lbs overweight. In other families, it's not uncommon to see people 150 lbs overweight. A lot of it has to do with insulin sensitivity of muscle vs. fat cells. This regulates hunger, and unless you override it and eat way too much, you won't gain much weight. Some of it also has to do with NEAT, which is the small movements that we make that burn energy. Some people just fidget more. Some also has to do with heat production. Some people's bodies try to minimize fat gain, and if body heat is needed, the extra calories can go into heat production. This is what is meant by "faster metabolism". In other words, wasting more calories. A lot also has to do with the eating habits you learned. For example, I was always told to only eat when I was hungry, and the food I ate growing up was very healthy food in general. Carb/fat/protein ratios can also make a huge difference.

Thin people who can eat whatever they want but don't work out aren't eating very much because they're not very hungry. Thin people who eat a lot and still don't gain weight are either exercising or moving a lot. It's that simple. Maintenance is very hard to achieve and maintain. We're usually either in a deficit or a surplus at all times.

I find it funny when some overweight people think it's funny that thin people have to eat a surplus in order to bulk up. Well, they did the same thing in order to gain weight. They just didn't realize they were doing it.

It's really that simple...thyroid or adrenal problems notwithstanding.

Some of what you said is correct. Some of it is broscience.
  • Dissecti0n
    Options
    I dont know, you have people that swear by calorie in and calorie out and there is NO WAY those naturally skinny people are eating 4k of junk a day and just sitting around....Even though, you know, we all know people WHO DO THAT.........

When I was a teenager I went to school half days, I sat in my room smoking weed , drinking nothing but soda and beer, eating hot Cheetos and playing video games 24/7 (when I wasn't barely at school). I stayed 130 pounds from like 14-19 years old im 5'8. Then I proceeded to gain like 60 pounds in one year, so I went to the doctor, they did all these tests and proceeded to tell me I had a nodule on my thyroid that basically tanked my metabolism. I got on meds and lost like 30 pounds in a year. But now I eat 1400 calories a day and stay at 170......

Of course its like "oh you dont log correctly" "oh you aren't with them 24/7 to see what they eat" blah blah blah, they try to throw in variables to deny peoples issues. Calories in calories out is 100% dammit!!! LOL
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    I dont know, you have people that swear by calorie in and calorie out and there is NO WAY those naturally skinny people are eating 4k of junk a day and just sitting around....Even though, you know, we all know people WHO DO THAT.........

When I was a teenager I went to school half days, I sat in my room smoking weed , drinking nothing but soda and beer, eating hot Cheetos and playing video games 24/7 (when I wasn't barely at school). I stayed 130 pounds from like 14-19 years old im 5'8. Then I proceeded to gain like 60 pounds in one year, so I went to the doctor, they did all these tests and proceeded to tell me I had a nodule on my thyroid that basically tanked my metabolism. I got on meds and lost like 30 pounds in a year. But now I eat 1400 calories a day and stay at 170......

Of course its like "oh you dont log correctly" "oh you aren't with them 24/7 to see what they eat" blah blah blah, they try to throw in variables to deny peoples issues. Calories in calories out is 100% dammit!!! LOL

Not true. Everyone is pretty much aware that thyroid and other hormonal issues can effect metabolism. But these cases are extremely rare.
  • Dissecti0n
    Options

Not true. Everyone is pretty much aware that thyroid and other hormonal issues can effect metabolism. But these cases are extremely rare.
    No they aren't actually very rare. Its also not uncommon to know someone who does nothing but drink beer, eat fast food and sit around, while not gaining one pound.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    Steve0, do you know anything about genetics? The easiest one you could not even answer?

No, SteveO obviously doesn't, so his only comeback is to insult. It's a waste of time even trying to reason with him.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    LOL.

People don't know what they don't know, and those are usually the most aggressive on boards like these, with clever comebacks and straw man arguments.

But there are no genetically determined thin people out there, bottom line.

But there ARE thin people out there- though they are getting harder and harder to find.

They are not NATURALLY thin, be are thin because of how they have LEARNED to eat and how they have LEARNED to deal with the sensation of an empty stomach.

But don't take my word for it.

Find a thin person and ask he or she details about what they eat, why and when they eat, how much they eat, and their exercise routine- if any. Get down to the nitty gritty.

Even if you are not great friends with them, tell them your concerns about your own weight and I bet they will happily give you a half-hour of their time.

Their metabolism is JUST LIKE yours. No significant difference. Metabolism evolved over a billion years- there is no fat gene or skinny gene.
    As usual, wrong again. As an example, evolution of the salivary amylase gene occurred as recently as 20K years ago. Anyway, as I said earlier, it's pointless arguing with you about genetics because you clearly have no clue.

I'm interested in hearing more about your 'food addiction' idea which apparently occurs only in some people who eat breakfast and not others. Can you explain your reasoning behind this individual variability?

BTW Steve, physiology and metabolic biochemistry, along with advanced genetics were an integral part of my education (I taught all of them at undergraduate level early on in my career) so perhaps my 'aggression' is because I'm irritated with your claims of superior knowledge.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

No they aren't actually very rare. Its also not uncommon to know someone who does nothing but drink beer, eat fast food and sit around, while not gaining one pound.

Not uncommon, eh?

Because all the people I know who don't measure food are overweight.

In fact most of the people I know are overweight.

Where are all the not uncommon people located, and are they really not uncommon, or are they really just more remarkable?
  • Dissecti0n
    Options

Not uncommon, eh?

Because all the people I know who don't measure food are overweight.

In fact most of the people I know are overweight.

Where are all the not uncommon people located, and are they really not uncommon, or are they really just more remarkable?

They were all over this topic with their stories but all you guys can do is denounce everything they say. So really what is the point?

So every SINGLE person you know who doesn't measure is overweight? lol
  • Dissecti0n
    Options
    Lol, you guys are funny. I am 5' 7, 105-110, and in high school. The walking I do is at school and guess what I do when I get home. I lay down and eat tv dinners, snacks, and then around 8:00 my moms cooks and I eat that, too. You guys are trying to make it seem like being naturally skinny is impossible. It's really not. When I was twelve-thirteen, my mom took me to a anorexia rehab place and asked them to to see if I could gain weight. They gave me high calorie (3000+) for 6 weeks daily, and my weight went up my 2 pounds. I did exactly what I did at home.

(I had to make an account just to post this) I am tired of people targeting skinny ones. This thread is like saying there is no such things as naturally fat.

So you are SAYING you had a scientific study done to back up how you couldn't gain weight? And in 6 weeks when you should of gained way more you gained 2 pounds...Hmmmmm
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    did anyone discuss the vermont prison study?
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    My husband and my oldest are very thin (but my husband got a belly around 40, still skinny though)

They eat plenty, but they move a lot. My oldest paces non stop and my husband is an extreme leg twitcher. I bet all those little movements add up.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

Yes, it is rare actually. And the person you perceive to be doing nothing but eating pizza, drinking beer and laying around, is obviously not overeating, is young and still growing, fidgets a lot, or, maybe you don't follow them around 24/7 logging their food intake, so you really DON'T know how much they are eating.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    did anyone discuss the vermont prison study?

Do tell.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    All these comments regarding metabolism are a complete load of bull. Stop bemoaning being overweight and be mature about it instead of being like the spoilt kid in the playground moan 'its so unfair'.

Metabolism is the most overused excuse of them all and in any case one's metabolism never varies from someone else's to the extent that they can lie down eating 2 tons of pizza a day without putting on any weight. These are just lies that people use to cover up their own bad eating habits.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Steve0, do you know anything about genetics? The easiest one you could not even answer?

No, SteveO obviously doesn't, so his only comeback is to insult. It's a waste of time even trying to reason with him.

I agree. :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    My accounting "bible" is $200 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1118147294/) but no accountant would dream of saying that this book is definitive and sufficient for all cases...

...but the physiology "bible" is only $39 (http://www.amazon.com/Textbook-Medical-Physiology-10th-Edition/dp/B000NAVJ5W) and is, at least according to some, definitive and sufficient for all cases?

Apparently, accounting is more nuanced than doctoring.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    My accounting "bible" is $200 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1118147294/) but no accountant would dream of saying that this book is definitive and sufficient for all cases...

...but the physiology "bible" is only $39 (http://www.amazon.com/Textbook-Medical-Physiology-10th-Edition/dp/B000NAVJ5W) and is, at least according to some, definitive and sufficient for all cases?

Apparently, accounting is more nuanced than doctoring.
    Given what transpired in the last 14 years (thanks to accounting) you might be able to make a strong argument.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options

I agree. :)

Personal attacks, straw men, false accusations.

I doubt any of the attackers are actually overweight people sincerely trying to lose weight.

Everything I say is supported by Guyton's, the bible of physiology.

If it isn't in Guyton's, then don't believe it.

And there is NO special gene set that afflicts fat people.

Overweight people and "naturally" thin people are exactly the same genetically, for all intents and purposes.

Can't hide behind that excuse anymore.

The first step in weight loss is to be honest with yourself.

The first step in the weight loss industry is to convince overweight people that they are victims and only YOU and YOUR PROGRAM can help them.
    I'm still waiting to hear more about your eating breakfast -> food addiction theory because I'm pretty certain it isn't in your Guytons bible.
  • Dissecti0n
    Options

Yes, it is rare actually. And the person you perceive to be doing nothing but eating pizza, drinking beer and laying around, is obviously not overeating, is young and still growing, fidgets a lot, or, maybe you don't follow them around 24/7 logging their food intake, so you really DON'T know how much they are eating.

And here you go with the 1000 of reasons, oh well they fidget or your not with them 24 hours a day blah blah blah. NO there are just naturally thin people. lol these fitness forums a joke..
  • Fridaklo77
    Options
    My sister has 3 kids, and is a size 3-4, she is tiny. She has always been thin, but I think she also chases those kids around!