naturally thin people

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I dont know, you have people that swear by calorie in and calorie out and there is NO WAY those naturally skinny people are eating 4k of junk a day and just sitting around....Even though, you know, we all know people WHO DO THAT.........

When I was a teenager I went to school half days, I sat in my room smoking weed , drinking nothing but soda and beer, eating hot Cheetos and playing video games 24/7 (when I wasn't barely at school). I stayed 130 pounds from like 14-19 years old im 5'8. Then I proceeded to gain like 60 pounds in one year, so I went to the doctor, they did all these tests and proceeded to tell me I had a nodule on my thyroid that basically tanked my metabolism. I got on meds and lost like 30 pounds in a year. But now I eat 1400 calories a day and stay at 170......

Of course its like "oh you dont log correctly" "oh you aren't with them 24/7 to see what they eat" blah blah blah, they try to throw in variables to deny peoples issues. Calories in calories out is 100% dammit!!! LOL

Not true. Everyone is pretty much aware that thyroid and other hormonal issues can effect metabolism. But these cases are extremely rare.
    No they aren't actually very rare. Its also not uncommon to know someone who does nothing but drink beer, eat fast food and sit around, while not gaining one pound.

Yes, it is rare actually. And the person you perceive to be doing nothing but eating pizza, drinking beer and laying around, is obviously not overeating, is young and still growing, fidgets a lot, or, maybe you don't follow them around 24/7 logging their food intake, so you really DON'T know how much they are eating.

And here you go with the 1000 of reasons, oh well they fidget or your not with them 24 hours a day blah blah blah. NO there are just naturally thin people. lol these fitness forums a joke..

You really seem to have anger issues. :flowerforyou:
  • lewb31
    Options
    My husband is near 40 and eats a lot of anything. Soda, chips, candy bars...and he has always been thin. We've joked he must have a tapeworm. But he is just naturally muscular so he must burn more calories. Our one child is like this. As a baby her arms looked like she lifted weights!
  • Dissecti0n
    Options
    My husband is near 40 and eats a lot of anything. Soda, chips, candy bars...and he has always been thin. We've joked he must have a tapeworm. But he is just naturally muscular so he must burn more calories. Our one child is like this. As a baby her arms looked like she lifted weights!

According to this forum, he must fidget 24/7
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    He doesn't have big muscles from a lack of using them,
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

A lot of people think I am naturally thin and I do fidget or move 24/7 (that's why I've always loved dance and fitness and being active). Even when I am sleeping, I generally need to be moving (or rubbing my feet together) while falling asleep.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    My husband and my oldest are very thin (but my husband got a belly around 40, still skinny though)

They eat plenty, but they move a lot. My oldest paces non stop and my husband is an extreme leg twitcher. I bet all those little movements add up.

Yup, but not much increased burn as you seem to think. Try bouncing your leg when you sit as a weight loss method, they are probably doing something else too or have another factor going on. :) However, I think all the people denying it exists are missing two points: 99.9% of people who are supposedly in this category are probably not eating as much unobserved /more active /put into that category by others with "ulterior motives" to excuse themselves. And #2: I don't think people here disagree that the great majority of time its an excuse used by overweight labeling someone who doesn't weigh as much. But, to say NOBODY has circumstances that enable them to eat more than the "average" without gaining as much weight however, is just wrong, sorry. That DOESN'T mean that 99.9% of the time this statement is pretty on target and Average Joe probably doesn't know such an animal (yeah who knows exactly, but very small percent).

Just as you probably don't know anyone with a condition like this (again, on average), you probably have no real world examples on average that you can put your finger on (which also explains the doubt). They are rare, but I happen to know several with a genetic condition which is the probable reason (same family/inherited trait), and one who fits the category when he was young, but lost the "effect" as he aged...this guy could also be in the "doing something I dont know about" category (since of course I did not take a scientific survey of his activities), but the first two are definitely unicorns, according to half the quasi scientific arguers.

First off, Hypermetabolism does exist, and it is also strongly associated with certain diseases and hormonal changes. The calorie expenditure can be pretty significant. Elevated body temperature is also sometimes a symptom that can be tracked. Hyperthyroidism is of course one of the primary causes, increased energy expenditure throughout the day and with every activity.

Insomnia...if you cannot sleep and are awake (not laying in bed), you burn more calories while awake than while sleeping, so basic math tells you where this increased burn comes from. Now, this can also cause the REVERSE effect if you are feeling "too tired" to do anything active all day and forego a walk and working out and you see a net weight gain over time. But some people can just function almost normally under these conditions even though tired and burn more due to more hours active.

Varying sleep necessary nightly. Just like the above, if you dont sleep as much, you burn more. Some people however need as little as 4hrs/day, this means 4 more hours ACTIVE and AWAKE, which burns ALOT more calories over time. Even 6hr sleepers burn more.

Hereditary sphereocytosis is such a disease. Red blood cells are constantly being destroyed and re made in these people, so much so that a red blood cell may have 1/4 to 1/12 the regular life span. If you don't think this is energy demanding, try donating more blood than regular at your local Red Cross: the fatigue is also do to decreased oxygen transport, but the donation doesnt let you get even near reducing your average red blood cell life to 1/4 normal...the low end of the reduced expectancy in these people.

Low level infections and auto immune diseases also can cause significantly increased metabolic expenditure. Many times they are not detected readily and can go on for years. Most of the time auto immune diseases also cause some increased inflammation however, which can make it an imperceptible loss, or increased experienced weight.

Not a complete list, but too much time spent already responding to whatnot on the internet in distraction time for myself now.

Yes, MOST called 'naturally thin' are not. But, some people do have underlying mechanisms we understand that can cause them to burn more daily and be thinner than others eating the same diet get fat on. Mostly its used as an excuse of the overweight, of course its not even reasonably involved in the fattening of modern society (the conditions have always been around), it should never ever be used as an excuse, fat people don't "have bad genes", and there is no "magic unfair advantage" (most of these conditions are really disadvantages), but why invent unicorns and say it cant exist when there are plenty of possible documented reasons? Maybe we have a bunch of closet Bronies here who secretly want unicorns declared. ;)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

*sniff
  • lewb31
    Options
    :tongue: And I just learned you can't delete a post! :laugh:
  • MeredithDeVoe
    Options
    Just wait until he's actually 40.

When we were dating, my husband would have to stop in the McD's drive-thru for a couple of cheeseburgers to tide him over until we were served at the restaurant. He also had a job where he walked miles per day (wore out two pair of Redwing boots per year). He was almost painfully thin.

At 38 he lost his job and went back to school. He suddenly found that sitting all day in classes and writing papers doesn't burn calories like working on your feet!!

When he hit 40, like myself, he hit a wall with his metabolism. That was 11 years ago. He has been highly successful in controlling his weight but still would like to (and could stand to) lose 20 lbs. But it is lots of work and self-restraint!!

Even if your husband continues to move a lot, his metabolism will likely slow down. This is not universal, though-- I know a man nearly 70 who can't keep weight on (and is not muscular and has been that way all his life).
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I dont know, you have people that swear by calorie in and calorie out and there is NO WAY those naturally skinny people are eating 4k of junk a day and just sitting around....Even though, you know, we all know people WHO DO THAT.........

When I was a teenager I went to school half days, I sat in my room smoking weed , drinking nothing but soda and beer, eating hot Cheetos and playing video games 24/7 (when I wasn't barely at school). I stayed 130 pounds from like 14-19 years old im 5'8. Then I proceeded to gain like 60 pounds in one year, so I went to the doctor, they did all these tests and proceeded to tell me I had a nodule on my thyroid that basically tanked my metabolism. I got on meds and lost like 30 pounds in a year. But now I eat 1400 calories a day and stay at 170......

Of course its like "oh you dont log correctly" "oh you aren't with them 24/7 to see what they eat" blah blah blah, they try to throw in variables to deny peoples issues. Calories in calories out is 100% dammit!!! LOL

Not true. Everyone is pretty much aware that thyroid and other hormonal issues can effect metabolism. But these cases are extremely rare.
    No they aren't actually very rare. Its also not uncommon to know someone who does nothing but drink beer, eat fast food and sit around, while not gaining one pound.

This is all so familiar.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

This is all so familiar.

Sho is, isn't it?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

This is all so familiar.

Sho is, isn't it?
    Fo Shosho...
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    LOL.

People don't know what they don't know, and those are usually the most aggressive on boards like these, with clever comebacks and straw man arguments.

But there are no genetically determined thin people out there, bottom line.

But there ARE thin people out there- though they are getting harder and harder to find.

They are not NATURALLY thin, be are thin because of how they have LEARNED to eat and how they have LEARNED to deal with the sensation of an empty stomach.

But don't take my word for it.

Find a thin person and ask he or she details about what they eat, why and when they eat, how much they eat, and their exercise routine- if any. Get down to the nitty gritty.

Even if you are not great friends with them, tell them your concerns about your own weight and I bet they will happily give you a half-hour of their time.

Their metabolism is JUST LIKE yours. No significant difference. Metabolism evolved over a billion years- there is no fat gene or skinny gene.
    As usual, wrong again. As an example, evolution of the salivary amylase gene occurred as recently as 20K years ago. Anyway, as I said earlier, it's pointless arguing with you about genetics because you clearly have no clue.

I'm interested in hearing more about your 'food addiction' idea which apparently occurs only in some people who eat breakfast and not others. Can you explain your reasoning behind this individual variability?

BTW Steve, physiology and metabolic biochemistry, along with advanced genetics were an integral part of my education (I taught all of them at undergraduate level early on in my career) so perhaps my 'aggression' is because I'm irritated with your claims of superior knowledge.

Wrong and as an educated man you should know better than to use straw men.

My claim is that GUYTON'S is a superior source for the needs of the VAST MAJORITY of overweight people who use this board as a source of information as a way to lose weight.

My background should have nothing to do with it. I can make up credentials in order try to impress someone. People do it on the internet every day.

You could have made yours up in an attempt to impress me and those on the board.

But you CAN'T make up what is in Guyton and Hall.

Show me it in Guyton's and I will believe it.

The perception of hunger and satiety are complex, but it is obvious (in Guyton's) that the stomach and the level of blood nutrients play a significant role.

But it is JUST as obvious that some people can deal with "hunger" and not immediately rush off to eat, or suffer an anxiety reaction when they can't.

And it is just as obvious in the normal healthy person that they have enough calories on board to last for days. "Hunger" does NOT mean that the body needs more calories.

People can adapt over time to almost any condition, and hunger is one of them. "Naturally" thin people have.

Once you review Guyton's, read Dr. Hagan's "Breakfast is the least important meal of the day." Absolutely spot on, and the only way to lose weight and keep it off. And it is FREE.

Learned behavior.

That's it, I can't take your dribble nonsense anymore. Congrats, you're the first person to go on my ignore list. You have a serious ED and probably some mental issues, and I really hope you get help.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    When I read the subject, I thought of three people right away that I know personally that have been thin their entire lives. My Dad, an uncle and my son( who is 21, maybe he shouldn't count). But they eat what they want and a generous amount of whatever they want. My Dad is in his sixties and he has never been on a diet and eats healthy and junk foods as well, drinks beer too. Not saying he is the healthiest person, but he has been the same size for as long as I can remember, thin. He does exercise when the mood strikes him. Pretty much everyone on my Dad's side of the family is that way, thin. I have seen what they eat and they are not starving themselves in anyway.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    My accounting "bible" is $200 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1118147294/) but no accountant would dream of saying that this book is definitive and sufficient for all cases...

...but the physiology "bible" is only $39 (http://www.amazon.com/Textbook-Medical-Physiology-10th-Edition/dp/B000NAVJ5W) and is, at least according to some, definitive and sufficient for all cases?

Apparently, accounting is more nuanced than doctoring.

LOL.

There is an 11th edition out there.

Frankly, considering what overweight people pay for bogus interventions and solutions that prove only temporary, an investment in Guyton's is recommended.

39 dollars should be peanuts comparatively speaking.

With only a college background, someone can roughly understand things, as they cover basic concepts in the first few chapters, and then move on to the more specialized areas.

And even if you don;t understand it, a specific topic can be easily found through the index, and then you can quote it and ask whatever guru is popular to explain his/her theory in light of what Guyton's says.

I believe you misunderstood my post.

(Perhaps because analogies aren't covered in Guyton's.)
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    When I read the subject, I thought of three people right away that I know personally that have been thin their entire lives. My Dad, an uncle and my son( who is 21, maybe he shouldn't count). But they eat what they want and a generous amount of whatever they want. My Dad is in his sixties and he has never been on a diet and eats healthy and junk foods as well, drinks beer too. Not saying he is the healthiest person, but he has been the same size for as long as I can remember, thin. He does exercise when the mood strikes him. Pretty much everyone on my Dad's side of the family is that way, thin. I have seen what they eat and they are not starving themselves in anyway.

I bet he eats all sorts of junk foods. But I bet he doesn't eat a LOT of them at one sitting.

Junk foods have plenty of calories and folks can do just fine weight-wise if they limit themselves to a neutral calorie eating junk foods.

He does eat alot at one time, but he eats slow too, takes his time almost like he is savouring every bite. That's what I have observed over the years.
  • pianochick5254
    Options
    wow this thread is still going huh? lol I just felt like I should add something else to this because my neighbor is a dietician and fitness trainer and I actually had a talk with him about this last week. He told me about reverse dieting where basically you build your metabolism up. He said it wrecks it after years and years of binging, fad dieting, lack of exercise and too many calories, too much exercise with not enough calories, etc. Basically what he said is to start at like 1500 a week with no exercise with .8 times your body weight for protein, 30% from fat, and half your calories from carbs. Each week you increase your calories by 100 by eating 25 more carbs than the week before. You do that for a few weeks until you reach your maintenance calories, then you add in exercise. If you don't lose weight, you lower by 100 each week again never going below 1500. You do that up and down and apparently by round 2 or 3 you should be able to eat your maintenance calories with 30 minutes of exercise twice or three times a week and your body should naturally take you down to your natural weight and maintain it. If you get below your natural weight, you raise your calories. He said he eats about 3500 calories a day and works out 3-4 times a week. That is just input that I got from him, I don't really know what to think about it but the way he explained it made a lot of sense. Haven't tried it though.

So I guess what he was saying is people who seem to eat a lot and not gain weight have usually consistently eaten like that their whole life and may have bigger portions more often, but they haven't screwed that system up with crash dieting or anything. Dunno...thoughts?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    LOL.

People don't know what they don't know, and those are usually the most aggressive on boards like these, with clever comebacks and straw man arguments.

But there are no genetically determined thin people out there, bottom line.

But there ARE thin people out there- though they are getting harder and harder to find.

They are not NATURALLY thin, be are thin because of how they have LEARNED to eat and how they have LEARNED to deal with the sensation of an empty stomach.

But don't take my word for it.

Find a thin person and ask he or she details about what they eat, why and when they eat, how much they eat, and their exercise routine- if any. Get down to the nitty gritty.

Even if you are not great friends with them, tell them your concerns about your own weight and I bet they will happily give you a half-hour of their time.

Their metabolism is JUST LIKE yours. No significant difference. Metabolism evolved over a billion years- there is no fat gene or skinny gene.
    As usual, wrong again. As an example, evolution of the salivary amylase gene occurred as recently as 20K years ago. Anyway, as I said earlier, it's pointless arguing with you about genetics because you clearly have no clue.

I'm interested in hearing more about your 'food addiction' idea which apparently occurs only in some people who eat breakfast and not others. Can you explain your reasoning behind this individual variability?

BTW Steve, physiology and metabolic biochemistry, along with advanced genetics were an integral part of my education (I taught all of them at undergraduate level early on in my career) so perhaps my 'aggression' is because I'm irritated with your claims of superior knowledge.

My claim is that GUYTON'S is a superior source for the needs of the VAST MAJORITY of overweight people who use this board as a source of information as a way to lose weight.

My background should have nothing to do with it. I can make up credentials in order try to impress someone. People do it on the internet every day.

You could have made yours up in an attempt to impress me and those on the board.

The perception of hunger and satiety are complex, but it is obvious (in Guyton's) that the stomach and the level of blood nutrients play a significant role.

But it is JUST as obvious that some people can deal with "hunger" and not immediately rush off to eat, or suffer an anxiety reaction when they can't.

And it is just as obvious in the normal healthy person that they have enough calories on board to last for days. "Hunger" does NOT mean that the body needs more calories.

People can adapt over time to almost any condition, and hunger is one of them. "Naturally" thin people have.

Once you review Guyton's, read Dr. Hagan's "Breakfast is the least important meal of the day." Absolutely spot on, and the only way to lose weight and keep it off. And it is FREE.

Learned behavior.

That's it, I can't take your dribble nonsense anymore. Congrats, you're the first person to go on my ignore list. You have a serious ED and probably some mental issues, and I really hope you get help.

Bye-bye.

Hope you find a method of weight loss that works for you long term.

But with your attitude, I doubt you will.

Unless you are fitness trainer or someone who makes money selling diet pills and supplements, then good riddance.

Harsh.
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    This thread has it all. It's hilarious.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    I know I should know better than to continue with this but I’m on a break from work and I have time on my hands, so….

Although irrelevant to the discussion, I’m a woman. I don’t believe I used straw man. You told a poster that his dr was an idiot for saying that genetics can play a role in weight maintenance or something similar. I told you that you were incorrect and that genetics most certainly can play a role for some people. I provided a few classic ‘textbook’ examples, you discounted them and so it went on.

How was it straw man?

Guytons focuses on one discipline, physiology. Physiology alone does not fully explain human health, including weight management. Guytons may be a start and one perspective, but it is by no means the only one.

Yes, my absolute frustration with your inability to accept anything beyond your limited “Guytons” blurb led me to say more about my education and professional role than I would have preferred. My point was to explain from first hand experience that health professionals are educated in a range of areas including, but by no means limited to, physiology.

Nevertheless, correct, I could have made it up, although not for the intention of trying to impress. There are plenty of smart/educated people on MFP who impress me without any prior knowledge of 'their credentials".

So basically you are saying that knowledge from any other discipline that is not in Guytons is under question.

How can you expect to gain any credibility when you talk this way?

Yes, extremely complex. For example, the serotonin and dopamine systems are involved, which have receptors in various brain regions including the reward pathway. Individual (dare I say genetic?) differences in certain receptors are seen in some people with disordered eating. This is just one example to illustrate the complexity and the impact of individual variability.

Yes, but is this learned behaviour, or is it influenced by individual variability…something biological?

Why should people have to experience hunger to lose/maintain weight? Some people find hunger almost intolerable.

How do you know that “Naturally” thin people experience hunger like someone who is overweight? Perhaps there is something in their biology (ie. not learned) that causes them to have a blunted hunger response.

Learned behavior.

I don’t feel the need to review Guytons. I have a pretty good handle on physiology from other well known bench-marked physiology textbooks I studied during my undergrad years. I also studied other areas to give me a hopefully well-rounded perspective on human health. I am not trying to impress, just responding to your suggestion that I review Guytons.

I have never heard of Hagan’s book and I’m already cynical about it from the title alone. Many people maintain a healthy weight or lose weight consuming breakfast every day. Some people would find giving up breakfast extremely difficult to adhere to for any length of time, resulting in a weight loss plan that is not sustainable.

I do not believe in a one-size fits all approach, as you do. I believe that everyone is an individual and needs to find his or her own way to manage energy balance.

You even acknowledge individual variation with regards to hunger response. You argue that it is learned, I argue that in some people it is due to individual biology that is not learned.