CARDIO! How much do you do?!

Options
124»

Replies

• edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Eh, haven't done steady state cardio in months.

Just HIIT short ones or crossfit wod style anaerobic/circuit workouts.

I get bored with long steady state cardio....
  • tindy5799
    tindy5799 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    As a weight lifting fanatic who is frequently asked by women how I lost weight and look so toned....

"So what kinda cardio do you do?"

"I LIFT WEIGHTS FASTER"
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    When I'm training for something, I do weights (35 mins.) 2-3 times a week, cross-country long-distance run 1 time a week, and then intervals (30-45 mins.) 2 times a week.

When I'm in a resting phase, I do a little here and there, but keep up my weights. It's enough to maintain my results so I'm good with it. Some weeks I take off completely because I'm busy or want a break. Then I might go backpacking or hiking or something.

It sounds like I do a lot less than most people here.
  • christopherphillips1983
    Options
    At least 60 minutes a day, ~5 days a week. Sometimes I skip a day if I'm feeling particularly crappy, or I might do more than usual (or do 30-60 minutes on an "off" day) if I've been eating poorly. Just killed 1300 calories on the elliptical machine about half an hour ago.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    supersets, and 30 hit, ride my bike 10 miles, and climb mount 4th avenue.
  • robabob3
    robabob3 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    As a weight lifting fanatic who is frequently asked by women how I lost weight and look so toned....

"So what kinda cardio do you do?"

"I LIFT WEIGHTS FASTER"

This is my favourite cardio routine, lifting weights lets me eat SO much more food and still lose weight. Have lost all my weight so far from lifting minimal to no cardio, and that's how i will lose the rest of my weight.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Just recently increased my swim sessions from one to three swims of around 30 - 45 minutes per week.

Mostly because as a short guy (5'3") I find life on a 500 cal deficit is uncomfortable because my calorie needs are already low even on maintenance. A bit of cardio over three days helps me feel more satisfied through the whole week.
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    None. Nada.

Resistance training IS cardio if you're working hard. 6 days a week.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    On a weekly basis, I spend about 3 hours on cardio and 2 hours on lifting. I will be doing a little more once the weather warms up and I am able to run outside again.
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    25-30min run 5 days a week every other week (intermittent weeks are circuit training like 30DS instead)

Although today I'm doing both the run and the CT because I'm going out to eat with my housemate later and need to up my cals allowance ;)

EDIT: that sounds like I have 2 days off a week. I don't. I do 5 days on, 1 day off. I mean every so often it happens that I get 2 rest days in 1 week but mostly it's just the 1 and it moves around.
  • threeangelzmom
    Options
    I do none. Somehow it still feels like too much.

hahaha:laugh:
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I used to do about 30 mins 3 days a week of cardio but I just didn't feel it was enough so now I do 1-2 hours 5-6 days a week. Sometimes is just a run outside, Sometimes it's at the gym and sometimes it's at home doing workout DVDs.

So I was just being a bit nosey really and wondering how much cardio everyone else does a week and if they feel they are doing enough, too much or not enough? :D

Thanks for any replies. :)

I'm doing about the same amount as you -- Les Mills BodyCombat, BodyPump, BodyAttack, BodyJam, BodyBalance. I will eventually scale back some once I hit my goal weight because I keep a pretty busy schedule but I spend a lot of time working out because I genuinely enjoy it.
  • Iri_2
    Iri_2 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    About 30-40 minutes, 1-2 times a week. I lift weights 3 times a week.
  • katylil
    katylil Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Usually about 20 minutes HIIT three times a week on either the stationary bike, elliptical or treadmill depending on my mood (I have to be in a reaaaally good mood for the elliptical!). I'm training for a 5k at the minute with a friend so also trying to fit in one long run outside a week to get the air in my lungs and my legs used to horrible hills!

Other than that I lift weights 3 times a week for about 40 minutes.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I do none. Somehow it still feels like too much.
    I was going to say "as little as possible" but Huff nailed it.

I wind up doing some because of dance- and it's usually short- less than 45 minutes all said and done and I hate it. LOL
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike for about an hour 3x weekly and I lift weights 3x weekly. I cross train with some swimming or something on Saturday mornings after my lift session just to do something other than the bike.

Nobody needs to be doing 2 hours of cardio per day unless they are actually training for and endurance event. The only time I ride much more than an hour is when I'm training for a long ride..and even then, I only go over an hour once per week.

you don't have to do gazillions of hours of cardio to lose weight...in fact, it can be counterproductive.