Anybody Else Taking the Xmas Break?

Options

Replies

• rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'm doing pretty much what you're doing. My main goal ths year was to lose 70 lbs by November 16th for my sister in laws wedding in which I was a bridesmaid (I didn't want to be a fat bridesmaid, shallow I know) and I met that goal. I was 169 lbs the day of the wedding (started Jan 1 at 240 lbs). Since then Thanksgiving, my daughters birthday and multiple Christmas parties have happened and my anniversary and Christmas are coming up. I don't want the added stress of trying to fit in the gym 5-6 days a week and counting every calorie that I take in and missing out on yummy holiday dishes. So for now I'll keep logging on normal weekdays, getting in a good brisk walk at work during my lunch break, eating what I want in moderation and enjoy the holiday season. I have a new goal for the new year, to lose 25 more lbs and get two-piece ready (I live in a beach town) then maintain.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    So im taking a xmas break from measuring and weighing and eating strictly healthy. Im treating myself pretty much everyday to sweets and whatever I want acutally. Im not over weight by any means. I just want to lose fat % and I plan to do that in the New Year. For now, I wanna eat and have fun! I have just completed StrongLifts for 12 weeks - Im taking a little break from that too. Starting a whole new plan up for Janurary. Im still not going to log though, I am safe eyeballing food - done it before and it worked. Healthy in moderation works. As for exercise, I will get it when i feel like it over these holidays. Prob in the form of shovelling snow, sledding and cc skiing. Might get a bit of lifting in there too. Never know. Anyways, this is about a 3.5 week break for me and im gonna enjoy it. Anybody else doing this sort of thing? Thanks for sharing in advance.

I am currently reaching my fourth month of not logging. I have been focused on maintaining through better habits without logging or weighing food. Using MFP, I lost 71 pounds in a single year. It took me nearly 15 years to gain all that weight, mostly from being sedentary (lazy) and eating an extra dessert too often. Having identified those two major problems, I am focused on keeping my new habits and not reverting to the old ones. I have regained my body's ability to give me appropriate hunger signals, and have been doing well at staying active instead of sitting in front of the TV all evening after work. However, about six months after joining MFP, I decided that I would not use exercise as an excuse to eat more, neither would I concern myself with calorie burns during exercise.

I have also learned that I truly can eat any foods that I want without gaining weight. I just can't eat as much as I want of high calorie items. ("Know when to say 'when'") I am still enjoying the thrill of being the size I was 15 years ago, but I am pretty sure that I will decide to begin logging again in January. After Christmas, I expect to have the rest of what I need to begin weight lifting again, and I think I want to log my food at that point, though my cut will be small, and I won't be strict with it.

(Also you can do a search of the forums on "diet break" and find lots of great threads. :flowerforyou: )
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    " Eat to live, not live to eat".

1363551593073.gif

I am more of a "foodie" now than I was when I was back when I was gradually becoming a small calf. :laugh:
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I am - sorta. I have cut back my exercise a bit and I'm logging but am meeting my calories most days and went over a day or 2 in the last couple weeks. And yes, I'm eating some sweets here and there, however still eating a healthy breakfast and salads and lean meat for lunches. Also trying to get in plenty of water! I have maintained so far this month. I will def be raging the burn in Janruary!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    nope, I am going to continue doing what I am doing …

IMO opinion breaks for that long to failure and unexpected weight gain that you then have to work harder to get rid of in new year...

I am trying to think of how much candy/pie/cake/feasts I would have to eat to have "unexpected weight gain." At 3500 calories/lb, that would be a helluva three weeks! Oh, the stomachaches I would have!

I can see how some people would struggle, especially if they are relying too much on modern tools (websites/digital scales) and not enough on introspection and behaviors. I know there are plenty of MFPers that flip-out over one meal, let alone take a diet break. I haven't gained an ounce of fat and have been on a much longer "break" than 3 weeks. IMO, it's important to make the necessary lifestyle changes to ensure that the weight doesn't pile back on.
  • tlacox1
    tlacox1 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    As a teacher, I am off for 16 days so I plan to vamp it up! I have already slowed down big time on exercise and if I stop on everything for two weeks, I will shut down completely. I am hoping this break is what I need to get going again.

I do plan on eating sweets and enjoying, just not overboard!
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Last time I took a "break" over the Christmas/New Years holiday, it lasted 8 months and I gained 30+ pounds back. So, no break for me. As a matter of fact, I've got 2 weeks off, so I might do two-a-days just for the fun of it.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Nope. I know if I take a break that long I won't want to get back on track. I'm not counting calories for Christmas dinner and will probably not eat much before that meal, but I couldn't take a whole break. I'm in this for a lifestyle change. I didn't count Thanksgiving and I won't count Christmas because once I reach my goal weight I won't be doing that. I also don't deprive myself of sweets entirely. I think I had a lot of sugar this week actually... so a break for me would really just be me stuffing my face with all kinds of sweets and gaining back the 16bs I lost already.
    \

Don't think you would ever gain 16lbs in 3weeks!

I gained 13 lbs. on a six day carribbean cruise. HONESTLY! It can be done. Can you imagine how much I ate (& drank)? The buffet & food places were open 19 hours a day and I was gonna get my money's worth.
  • VenharBaby
    Options
    Nope. I know if I take a break that long I won't want to get back on track. I'm not counting calories for Christmas dinner and will probably not eat much before that meal, but I couldn't take a whole break. I'm in this for a lifestyle change. I didn't count Thanksgiving and I won't count Christmas because once I reach my goal weight I won't be doing that. I also don't deprive myself of sweets entirely. I think I had a lot of sugar this week actually... so a break for me would really just be me stuffing my face with all kinds of sweets and gaining back the 16bs I lost already.
    \

Don't think you would ever gain 16lbs in 3weeks!

I gained 13 lbs. on a six day carribbean cruise. HONESTLY! It can be done. Can you imagine how much I ate (& drank)? The buffet & food places were open 19 hours a day and I was gonna get my money's worth.

So u think u ate around 30,000 cals for those 6 days?
  • kanens
    kanens Posts: 12
    Options
    I try and take one day off a month to relax the calorie counting and satisfy any cravings I've been having on that day. This month I decided Christmas will be the day. Merry Christmas everyone!
  • indygal76
    indygal76 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am enjoying myself this Holiday season and plan to get right back to it in the New Year. I'm not putting everything in my mouth but enjoying treats when I want and still exercising.
  • April_KT
    April_KT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    i wont track calories on Christmas eve and Christmas but defiantly not taking anymore of a break then that. but i will continue my usual work out routine just to keep up my progress :) Have a great holiday!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Nope, still staying on track during the holiday season...minus Christmas Day which will be when I go into my food coma.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    lol wut? No.

Diet and exercise isn't seasonal, it's a way of life.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I literally JUST decided that I'm going to just eat at maintenance until the new year. I have a couple exciting things coming up in the next week or so and I just don't feel like eating at a deficit. I've been at a deficit since July, I want a break. Going to keep logging(upped my goals from sedentary and losing .5 a pound to lightly active and maintain) and just try not to eat any exercise calories back. I will still stick with going to the gym 3-4 times a week, just because I love it and it's my me time, I just want/need a break from trying to figure out how to jam enough macros into my sadly small deficit number. Plus, I just bought fudge... so ya know... :laugh:

My main goal is to just enjoy myself, and make sure I don't gain.
  • grulka
    grulka Posts: 50
    Options
    Xmas break from work but not from my exercise
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am reaching my ultimate goal weight of 130 lbs this week. Then I plan to enjoy the holiday. After New Year's, I'll lose the weight I gained and then maintain that weight. :D
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I call it bulking...

But the answer is yes. I will be visiting my parents from Christmas to New Year's.
    I will be bloated and hammered the whole time and will regret nothing.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    That's the beauty of being Jewish - Christmas is just another day to me - so - YES - to watching what I eat and exercising!
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am reaching my ultimate goal weight of 130 lbs this week.

Huge congratulations!!!!