Men vs. Women Effort in loosing weight

13»

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    the amount of difference within each sex is greater than the average difference between the sexes. so the answer is, it depends on the individual.

also, being bigger may mean you can eat more calories and still lose weight, but larger people tend to get more hungry than smaller people, owing to the fact that their body needs more food to keep itself alive, because of how we evolved.... our early ancestors didn't know how much to eat without hunger signals telling them to eat more, so hunger signals tend to be proportional to how much food the body actually needs. Some people find it harder than others not to overeat, maybe their default set point for hunger signals is slightly off or something (and people who struggle with being underweight and just can't eat enough to gain weight, it's probably off in the other direction), but there's no reason why one sex would be more prone to this than the other.

and why does everything have to be reduced to a battle of the sexes? well I suppose it's good for entertainment on the internet
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    should I be excited I'm the only spelling bee champ in this thread?
    I dunno, can you spell the name of the siege engine I just posted a pic of? :laugh:

trebuchet

actually, now you come to mention it, I don't know. It's in French phonics and I never really got to grips with French phonics.... (the above is a guess)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    should I be excited I'm the only spelling bee champ in this thread?

Well I got a strike for pointing out such an error two weeks ago. I won't do that again.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    There's this thing called testosterone that makes this WAY easier for men.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/767696

Anecdotally, I have been working at this one year and making slow but steady progress. My husband starts up, and after mere weeks is showing significant progress, the b@stard. He loses weight faster, makes progress on his lifting faster, and ticks me off faster. :laugh:
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    That is a deceiving picture. The picture of the guy has probably been photoshoped, plus he's indoors with good lighting while the picture of the girl looks more natural. If the girl had people to photoshop her picture and bring her inside to a place with good lighting, it might be a more fair comparison.
  • A_nonymous2
    A_nonymous2 Posts: 366 Member
    Naw. Fit is the new skinny. I work my Tush off at the gym. Have for years.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    So why is it, do you think, that all a woman has to do is be thin and weak to be attractive, while a man has to look strong?

Yeah, y'all get no sympathy from me.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Just not eat like a hippo every day to look like her? Ha! I know many men like to think that women who don't look like her just sit around stuffing their faces all day, but that doesn't make it true, no.

The amount of lifting it takes for a guy to look good (not male model good, btw) is not really a big deal, imho. I think getting the protein in is the hardest part (but I don't like eating a lot of meat, lol).
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Woman, starting from the top:

Bleach
    Tone
    Highlight
    Hair extensions
    Conditioner
    Styling product
    Flat iron
    Wax eyebrows
    Wax facial hair
    Cleanser
    Exfoliate
    Toner
    Moisturizer
    Sunscreen
    Foundation makeup
    Contour or blush
    Eyeliner
    Eyelash curler
    Eyelash extensions
    Mascara
    Eye shadow
    Bronzer
    Teeth whitener
    Lip color or gloss

Okay, I think that covers the head. Here's the rest:

Permanent calorie restriction
    Exercise
    Tan
    Manicure
    Nail polish
    Hand lotion
    Bikini wax
    Exfoliate body (different product than face exfoliation)
    Shave underarms
    Shave legs
    Body lotion
    Pedicure
    Paint toenails
    Foot lotion
    Properly fitted bra
    Clothes carefully chosen to accentuate the positives and minimize the flaws
    Accessories
    High heels
    Perfume

Man:

Gym. Haircut. Eat thousands of calories a day and don't gain weight. Shave once in a while but mostly keep the scruff. Throw on some clothes. Chest wax and tan are optional.

Yeah, it's sooo much easier for women to look good. Men have no idea what goes into it.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Bronzer? Hair extensions? Eyelash extensions? Bleached hair?

We're talking about actual women, not mannequins.
  • CantonMan1234
    CantonMan1234 Posts: 142 Member
    It's about the same for men and women to "Loose" weight. I'm not to sure about losing weight though.
    trebuchet_copy.jpg

MooooOOOooooo!!!

trebuchet