I hate lunges!!!

Options

Replies

• sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I HATE burpees!

I once read that Jessic Alba's trainer created a workout plan that consisted of mostly burpees to get her in shape for some shindig. I thought "What a terrible way to live"
    Burpees are the worst ever!!!! And Jessica Alba may be gorgeous but crikey......where's the fun in that lol

I don't mind burpees, I never new they were called that though, when I was in the Corps we called them 8 count bodybuilders.....lol..
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I don't do jumping lunges because of my knees, but i know lunges are good I just feel so awkward doing them and so unstable, maybe is a form thing...lol

Try Alternating 1 Legged Romanian Deadlifts. See how awkward you feel after those. Lunges will feel graceful (at least they do for me).
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I don't feel so bad now, I feel so incompetent when I am doing a lunge....I especially hate the one leg lunge when you have to do it and return to the upright position. I feel like I will fall over each time!!

Think of all the stabiliser muscles you're using.....great stuff :)

You have slightly motivated me to keep doing lunges. Even though they suck.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    If you are falling over in a lunge, then your stance is too narrow - its not a tight rope. Widen your back foot position a bit when you go down so that you have more of a triangle base. You shouldn't be feeling like you are going to fall over. Lunges are not my favorite activity but I'm better with them now that I do them right. I don't like burpees though I'm in a burpee challenge right now for the month.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I don't bother with any exercises I hate, because there are thousands of exercises that work the same muscle groups. For instance, you said you love squats. Lunges and squats work the same muscle groups, so there's no real need to do both. Skip the lunges and do more squats.
  • sarahi2009
    Options
    I do those too...and yes...I do feel awkward as well
  • sarahi2009
    Options
    I don't do jumping lunges because of my knees, but i know lunges are good I just feel so awkward doing them and so unstable, maybe is a form thing...lol

Try Alternating 1 Legged Romanian Deadlifts. See how awkward you feel after those. Lunges will feel graceful (at least they do for me).

Yes, do these too, but not doesn't make me hate them as much as lunges...lol..
  • bubbles1212
    bubbles1212 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Lunges and burpees are EVIL!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I don't feel so bad now, I feel so incompetent when I am doing a lunge....I especially hate the one leg lunge when you have to do it and return to the upright position. I feel like I will fall over each time!!

Honestly, I don't do these yet. I'm still working through static lunges and once I feel relatively stable on those, I will add in the step movement rather than increasing weight. I really am afraid I'll fall over, lol, and I've already faceplanted once in the crowded gym. If I keep doing it, they may label me an insurance hazard and revoke my membership. :wink:
  • kzivic
    kzivic Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I really hated my lunges yesterday. Lost a bet with another MFP'er where 100 lunges were the wager. The 100 lunges weren't bad. It was doing them hungover yesterday after recovering from a Ugly Christmas Sweater party that made them 10x worse.
  • sarahi2009
    Options

Honestly, I don't do these yet. I'm still working through static lunges and once I feel relatively stable on those, I will add in the step movement rather than increasing weight. I really am afraid I'll fall over, lol, and I've already faceplanted once in the crowded gym. If I keep doing it, they may label me an insurance hazard and revoke my membership. :wink:

Oh no!! I haven't fall over yet but I do feel like everybody is looking at how awkward I look doing them...lol
  • sarahi2009
    Options
    I really hated my lunges yesterday. Lost a bet with another MFP'er where 100 lunges were the wager. The 100 lunges weren't bad. It was doing them hungover yesterday after recovering from a Ugly Christmas Sweater party that made them 10x worse.

Yuck, I have a hard time doing them sober, let alone hung over!!
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Warrior I, II and III and Side Angle Pose and oh - Crescent Lunge - all strong Yoga poses.

At first I hated them all but once you've done a few thousand, your legs stop complaining!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I don't bother with any exercises I hate, because there are thousands of exercises that work the same muscle groups. For instance, you said you love squats. Lunges and squats work the same muscle groups, so there's no real need to do both. Skip the lunges and do more squats.

I don't really agree with this statement - I've been doing squats for months and bb lunges for a few weeks yet doing jumping lunges the other day produced DOMS which the others did not, likewise when I added the bb lunges - so there's obviously a slight difference (I definitely think my butt gets a bit more involved in the lunges, for example).

I do agree that there's no point doing something you don't enjoy, although a lot of the time you do come to love them.
  • Stage14
    Options

This is how I feel about burpees. I just don't do them. Ever.

However, as someone with knee issues, while lunges and squats may work the same major muscle groups, they do so in a different way since lunges isolate one leg at a time. Which means there are benefits to both, especially for someone with knee/core stability issues.
  • kzivic
    kzivic Posts: 326 Member
    Options

Yuck, I have a hard time doing them sober, let alone hung over!!

I won't lie, it was brutal. And I cursed my friend and the bet with each lunge. I was doing static lunges, I figured the less forward motion, the better. :)
  • spookyjo
    spookyjo Posts: 76 Member
    Options

Likewise and agreed!!

Front/Back lunges hate em!!
  • Stage14
    Options

Oh no!! I haven't fall over yet but I do feel like everybody is looking at how awkward I look doing them...lol

I didn't fall over lunging. I faceplanted the first time I attempted a prone jackknife on the stability ball. But still, once is enough for any move, lol.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I hate lunges, too. So I don't do them.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Hack squats seem to suck the life out of me. I actually question why I bother with training full stop whilst doing hack squats so I just don't bother with them anymore! If I felt I was missing out then I'd tackle em head on but honestly, I don't feel I am missing out.

Edit: I find single leg, leg press is a great alternative to lunges