What foods surprised you?

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Tortillas surprised me in the opposite way that they surprised you. For some reason my mom (who is not particularly nutrition-savvy) always acted like flour tortillas were pure evil loaded with fat. I didn't even get soft tacos a lot of the time as a kid/teen because of this, but I really love them. I also know at some places like Chipotle, Moe's, or Qdoba they use such enormous tortillas that it adds a ton to your entrée...so I usually go "naked" in those places. HOWEVER, small fajita size Mama Lupe's flour tortillas are not that caloric and the NI on them is good enough for me, and I eat them 4-5 days per week at breakfast (egg taco) and LOVE 'em!!

French toast being a relatively low calorie and low sugar meal is a big surprise. I guess it's really just 1-2 slices of whole wheat bread, 1 egg, cinnamon & a splash of milk along with some sugar free syrup or sliced strawberries...but it tastes so indulgent to me, I love having it for brunch or even dinner occasionally.

Milk was one surprise for me. I didn't realize that even skim, 1% and 2% milk had quite a lot of calories in them (and sugar). Similarly, milkshakes/malts were a HUGE shock to me. I knew they were not healthy, light options...but I would have guessed a large sized chocolate shake to have maybe 300 cal rather than the often close to 700-900+ they have. Same goes for "fancy" coffee drinks like lattes and mochas.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I am just surprised as the food industry and how they can get away with poisoning us with our food. The fact that they are allowed to put all the salt / sugar and chemicals in our food is scary. I really wish they would just leave our food alone .. but then they want us to become addicted, cause that means money in their pockets.

Foods higher in sodium and added sugar sell better. Food sales are an industry, and like any other, they are going to produce items that will sell the best. Yup, it's not in OUR best interest but...that's not what those businesses exist for, they exist for profit. Companies obviously do lots of research, and if the high sugar version of something sells better, that's what they are going to make.

I do wish people were educated and motivated enough to make better choices, but why should the food industry care...their motivation is increasing sales.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Muffins.. Always use to choose them instead of donuts.. but they have more calories.

^^That's why I bake my own. If you sub the butter/margarine/oil with unsweetened applesauce or bananas (or both...bananas can be detected, but applesauce is pretty mild), then you get a decent muffin without too many calories.

Here are a couple of my favorites:

http://caloriecount.about.com/low-cal-banana-muffins-recipe-r1191

*You can add berries to the recipe above for very few extra calories.

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=55850

Yum! :wink:
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    For me, granola was a shocker. So many calories for so little satiety in return. :ohwell:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    For me, granola was a shocker. So many calories for so little satiety in return. :ohwell:

I agree with this.

When I first started losing weight, but had not yet discovered MFP, I was eating a serving of Chobani or Yoplait Greek with fruit on the bottom and 2 TBSP. of granola.

Now I enjoy plain Fage with a little bit of honey or berries I add myself, and 5 or 6 whole almonds. STILL lighter - and much more satisfying!
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    That peanut butter has the same # of calories as regular butter (like 2 calories different in a tablespoon). I expected it to be half.. since I've always viewed butter as a super bad food to avoid.. but peanut butter was 'healthier'. I probably thought this because it was made directly from plant material.. and butter is just made from milk fat.

Last nights realization... spinach artichoke dip... how are there so many calories in THAT?

Spaghetti sauce is another.. I thought it would be half what it is too.

Tortilla/wraps.. aren't even worth it.
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Me too. Granola is the only cereal I like, when I weighed out the 50g (I think?) portion it was so tiny compared to my old portion size that I didn't bother, it hardly seemed worthwhile. One day I might bpe able to indulge again :-)
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Milk was one surprise for me. I didn't realize that even skim, 1% and 2% milk had quite a lot of calories in them (and sugar).

Just so people don't make assumptions, no sugar is added to milk unless it's chocolate milk. The sugar in regular milk is natural, like the sugar in fruits. Lactose is a sugar.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am just surprised as the food industry and how they can get away with poisoning us with our food. The fact that they are allowed to put all the salt / sugar and chemicals in our food is scary. I really wish they would just leave our food alone .. but then they want us to become addicted, cause that means money in their pockets.

Foods higher in sodium and added sugar sell better. Food sales are an industry, and like any other, they are going to produce items that will sell the best. Yup, it's not in OUR best interest but...that's not what those businesses exist for, they exist for profit. Companies obviously do lots of research, and if the high sugar version of something sells better, that's what they are going to make.

I do wish people were educated and motivated enough to make better choices, but why should the food industry care...their motivation is increasing sales.

Which is why it's silly to claim they are "poisoning" their customers. Dead people don't eat.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    , I am here because of delicious crossaints, philly cheese steaks, tortilla chips + salsa + guac, and oh so tasty craft and microbrews (lots of them).

What surprised me? Pizza and to a lesser degree Chinese food. Oh, I knew they were high calorie, but I really didn't get just how high some were.

Well hello there... that sound like an awesome night out.. LOL

And here I am on MFP :ohwell:

Also:
    beer- light beer is generally only 10 or so calories less then regular.. so what is the point?

The beers I enjoy are like 175 - 200 cals. So occasionally I have sucked it up and had a crappy +/- 100 cal light beer if I can't make the cals work for me but really want a beer. Nowadays, much easier to have a few shots of tequila rather than multiple microbrews.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    sodium surprises me in almost everything :/

calories in french fries surprise me although im not a big french fry eater so no biggie.
    calories in milk.
    calories in almost every fruit.
    calories in peanut butter.
    calories in orange juice.
    calories in nuts.

pretty much calories in everything because i had never paid attention to that stuff before.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    A krispy kreme is only 190 calories. Score, usually I get to have two!
  • gloriaqzhao
    gloriaqzhao Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I always assumed rice was lower calorie than it actually is. I know a lot of skinny people that eat a lot of rice.

The reason rice is healthier than bread, is probably because it has a lower GI index, especially brown rice. Also it is gluten free. High GI food tend to jump start your insulin level, which is a fat storing hormone, and after the insulin surge, the sudden drop of insulin makes you crave for more sugar.
  • gloriaqzhao
    gloriaqzhao Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Which is why it's silly to claim they are "poisoning" their customers. Dead people don't eat

Fat and poorly educated people are more likely to be addicted to processed food, and are reluctant to admit the truth. 100 calories from sugar, salt, and preservative loaded cookies do not equal to 100 calories from nuts or dark green vegetables, even if you keep the total calorie intake within your daily goal.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    i was surprised about beer. Less calories than I thought...yea for beer.
  • Ninebarkaussies
    Options
    Milk, tortillas, for carbs and calories.
  • margelizard
    margelizard Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I was fairly surprised that the calories in wine were so low, and dark rum with diet soda is a relatively easy way to enjoy a little drink.

I am usually a hard cider drinker but one can of Strongbow is 200 calories and I would usually drink 4 or so if I was drinking...ugh!

Another thing that knocked my socks off is a small m&m Sonic blast! 900 calories. Holy GOD!! I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't that! Now I just do the frozen banana with choc chips, nuts and coconut and it satisfies the ice cream cravings.
  • Peachygirl14
    Options
    A lot of "low/zero fat" food being high in...sugar. No wonder they were tasty despite being zero or low fat.

Which is why when buying packaged food, I tend to look at the Carbohydrates and Sugars more than the calories per se.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I never really looked at the nutritional content of food. Then someone told me about how many calories where in a serving of Ranch Dressing. Holy Buckets! I thank God that person told me, because THAT lead to me reading nutrition labels and beginning my new life. I make sure to be aware of everything now!
  • Peachygirl14
    Options
    ^^There was this show I watched years ago where they compared a Restaurant Salad with dressing to having the same amount of calories as 10 scoops of ice cream!

Made ice cream look more healthier than salad with ranch.