Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Cadbury Screme egg - 150 cal
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    those stupid, yummy, baked Costco Muffins... 700 and change.. ouch. and same for a slice of pizza at the Costco food court... :grumble:
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    Sodium in bread.
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Cadbury Screme egg - 150 cal

This one surprised me too - really thick chocolate and sugary, creamy goo. I thought it would be more than that.
    However, I don't buy them in 12 packs any more, just one at a time :blushing:
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    How much carbs is actually in Stevia. If you use 1 tsp, a serving, it's less than one carb, but who uses a teaspoon? Try 2-3 tbsp's at about 2 carbs each!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I started counting calories in grade school.:frown:
  • _Giselle_
    Options
    Sausages and meatballs… I knew they'd be quite high in calories but it was very annoying to find out that most of them contain very little actual meat and more things like potato and different kinds of starch.
  • Beautyandthebeef
    Options
    I had a favorite quesadilla at Chevy's that I used to love so one day I decided to splurge and figured I would eat it, but other than breakfast that's ALL I would eat that day. When I got home and I tracked it, I realized I had went over my macros by a pretty large amount...for ONE QUESADILLA!!
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Tbh i was surprised by alot of things. I was surprised at how uneducated I was on food and nutrition mainly.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Sausages and meatballs… I knew they'd be quite high in calories but it was very annoying to find out that most of them contain very little actual meat and more things like potato and different kinds of starch.

Make meatballs homemade and freeze. Really easy! I get leary of most processed meat.
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I did not have good nutritional info growing up - at all - - so pretty much everything surprised me.

I knew milkshakes were bad, but wow......I used to get a hot fudge milkshake from Dairy Queen every so often - one day I looked up the medium, and it was nearly 1,000 cals!!!!!

Also, one slice of Costco pizza - ONE slice - 718 calories!!! - - not even mentioning the fat/sodium content

The one thing I am getting better at is gauging if something is "worth it" to me or not.........and usually it does not feel worth it in the long run.
  • Sophieanna17
    Sophieanna17 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love that Costco pizza slice...and had no idea it was so bad!! So now I'm surprised about that. Wow!
  • siabot_guru
    Options
    Spinach Artichoke dip from Just about anywhere. 1000+ cal.. How's that for an appetizer :(. If your out and in a pinch just order your favorite grilled Chicken Sandwich from any FF restaurant and ditch the bun and order fruit in place of Fry's. Opting for Grilled in place of Breaded Anything will save 150-200 cal. Skip the Condiments(Mayo/Ranch/Secret Sauce/Ect) opt for Mustard(Free Flavor).
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Higher: Almonds, boneless chicken wings (but it's breast meat!), avocados, some brands of ranch, cheddar and havarti cheeses, tortillas, ice cream (esp Ben&Jerrys), pizza, french fries (didn't eat them anyway, but now that I know I can get a shake for the same cals! Never!), hamburger buns (how bout a lettuce wrap then a cup of ice cream instead?), biscuits/rolls/bread sticks/bagels, milkshakes

Lower: Soups, stews, homemade chili, homemade lasagna (zucchini "noodles" and other veggies but lots of full fat cheeses), feta, Parmesan, tuna, shrimp, jerky, eggs, oatmeal, butter, bacon, ice cream snicker bars

I'm sure that their are many more. That's why I like to log BEFORE I eat something.
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Sodium in bread and even milk
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    my volume always surprised me...you mention tortillas well learning that I've eaten nearly 1000 calories just a meal's consumption of tortillas was surprising.
  • Glossysweets
    Options
    Definitely the sodium in pickles. I love pickles and have even switched to organic ones - but when I actually went and logged my food I found that two pickles spiked my sodium. I love them, but I might have to cut them out because I eat them way to often and that cannot have a good effect.

I was also surprised at the amount of sugar in Raw coconut water - something else I really love. It is low in calories but the sugar surely kills it to have it very often.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    The number of carbs in home made split pea soup.

Still really yummy but good in moderation!
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    If you like wraps, but find most tortillas to be too high calorie...
    There's a brand called Joseph's, and they make a flat "lavash" bread that makes a great wrap. A "serving" is only a half of one, but it's definitely big enough for a wrap (and not a tiny one that leaves you hungry), and at 50 calories it won't blow your budget for the day. Relatively low carb and high protein too. (They also make a 60 calorie pita that I love)

Agreed! These are fantastic; we use them all the time!!
  • l_ashley
    l_ashley Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Pasta threw me for a loop. I used to eat a plate of pasta with all the fixings. When I started dieting, I saw the calorie count and now I don't eat a lot of pasta.