IS COFFEE GOOD FOR YOU?

Options

Replies

• richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    If you want to, and can do it without the smoking, then go for it. If it is going to bring back the cravings for a smoke, then you might be best to stay away for a while longer until that habit is well and truly broken.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    coffee is not only good for me, but beneficial for anyone around me. :wink:

coffee is good for YOU because if I don't have it I WILL KILL YOU.

so yes- it's VERY good.
  • MelissaAnn1983
    MelissaAnn1983 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Pzi39nM.jpg

AMEN!

For me..no coffee no good. But it helps keep things moving along pretty nicely. Have you ever felt constipation? Labor Pains? You don't want to.
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is well known for weight loss. Whats not to like.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Hey!

About 70 days ago I gave up alcohol, cigars, red meat and COFFEE! At first I was fine with out COFFEE(!!), but the past week or so I have been missing it! I usually smoked when I drank it but I have NO DSEIRE to start smoking again.

What is your take on COFFEE?? Should I go back to drinking it or stay clear?

Question: what made you decide to eliminate these four things? If it was because you suspected you might have some addictions to them, I would advise to consider continuing to abstain with the coffee, because it could create a "gateway" experience and believe me...you don't want that.

As many have said here, there's nothing wrong with coffee itself. Lots of studies have shown it to actually have some healthy properties for those who drink it daily.

But what I'd be concerned about - it how YOU feel when you drink it. In other words....does the caffeine make you feel like eating or drinking things you've already decided you don't want to? Caffeine affects people differently - for example, when I drink it I start to physically shake and I get quite irritable - it's NOT a pleasant experience. Some people depend on it to "feel good" or "feel awake". That's not so healthy and that could create a gateway BEHAVIOR (i.e., dependence on a substance to feel good) that takes you further into starting in on foods/drinks/behaviors you were once trying to give up.

You know yourself best. Do you honestly think you can handle the coffee and not have it affect you in other ways? If so, maybe give it a try one day - and if you find yourself getting into that mindset of "I GOTTA HAVE THIS or I won't be happy", then you might want to back off again.

Just a thought.
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options

coffee is good for YOU because if I don't have it I WILL KILL YOU.

so yes- it's VERY good.

This.......nuff said
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,431 Member
    Options

This times 10!^^^
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you, but it's definitely good for me. :drinker:
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Agreed with above. Remember lighter roasted coffee is better than darker roasted as well.

what do you mean lighter roast is better? Prefferance in flavor? Or do you mean something else?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Agreed with above. Remember lighter roasted coffee is better than darker roasted as well.

says who?

lighter roast coffee is like drinking light beer- what's the point!
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Good in moderation!
  • lLionMindl
    lLionMindl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    like everything it is good in moderation.
    if it is the caffeine you miss there are alternatives.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I like my coffee black...like my soul *insert evil laughter*
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    If drinking coffee is wrong, I don't want to be right.
  • veggiebuckeye
    veggiebuckeye Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Coffee is definitely good for the people who have to deal with me. Because without it look out!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,024 Member
    Options

what do you mean lighter roast is better? Prefferance in flavor? Or do you mean something else?
    Some people believe that lighter roasted coffee has less caffeine.......it's the exact opposite.
  • DarthPato
    Options

says who?

lighter roast coffee is like drinking light beer- what's the point!
    ^^ This. If you want to drink coffee then drink coffee...not tan colored water.

Also for the OP, like everyone else said; coffee in moderation (no more than 2-3 cups a day) and without all the shiz in it (whip creams, heavy creams, sugars, syrups, flavorings, ect) is very good for you. So drink on my friend :drinker:
  • _AlabamaSlamma_
    Options
    Hey!

About 70 days ago I gave up alcohol, cigars, red meat and COFFEE! At first I was fine with out COFFEE(!!), but the past week or so I have been missing it! I usually smoked when I drank it but I have NO DSEIRE to start smoking again.

What is your take on COFFEE?? Should I go back to drinking it or stay clear?

IMHO, if you're still having problems screaming COFFEE!!! everytime you say the word COFFEE!!! It's a good bet you should probably steer clear.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Some people believe that lighter roasted coffee has less caffeine.......it's the exact opposite.

I think there's some belief that longer roasting times needed for dark roasts will diminish some of the beneficial antioxidants.

But then there's this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21809439
    Dark roast coffee is more effective than light roast coffee in reducing body weight, and in restoring red blood cell vitamin E and glutathione concentrations in healthy volunteers.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I think we've established that coffee can be beneficial. On most days, if I want to be productive, I need to start my day with it. I like to have a shot or two of espresso with unsweetened vanilla almond milk. However, it can cause problems for certain people. For example, drinking coffee too late in the day keeps me up at night and my stomach is pretty sensitive to caffeine, so I steer clear when I'm not feeling well. If you want it when you wake up and you're not too sensitive to it, go for it! Just don't overdo the amount. Maybe downsize that venti to a grande.