IS COFFEE GOOD FOR YOU?

Options

Replies

• sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I love Coffee...but it wreaks absolute HAVOC on my stomach. OMG...it kills me...everyday...I am extremely senstive to it. That said, some days I would rather have a stomach ache than go without it. But good grief it causes so much pain!!!!!!!! not wow

ETA: it's not the creamer. I've tried without and lactose free. It's just the coffee so there's no way around it lol
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Hey!

About 70 days ago I gave up alcohol, cigars, red meat and COFFEE! At first I was fine with out COFFEE(!!), but the past week or so I have been missing it! I usually smoked when I drank it but I have NO DSEIRE to start smoking again.

What is your take on COFFEE?? Should I go back to drinking it or stay clear?

IMHO, if you're still having problems screaming COFFEE!!! everytime you say the word COFFEE!!! It's a good bet you should probably steer clear.

You just said in one sentence what I was trying to say in 20. LOL Exactly my point.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Coffee is good for the people I come in contact with.
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    If drinking coffee is wrong, I don't want to be right.

x2!!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    A sign of addiction can be a soothing rush of relief before the drug could possibly have taken effect.

I know I'm addicted to coffee, because I feel this before the first sip has made it half way to my stomach. My hands relax, neck relaxes, head feels better ...

That said, I think most coffee drinkers feel this ...
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    If someone ever told me coffee was bad I would inflict pain in the worst way possible for crushing my soul. Then I would tell them to screw off while I drink a cup while dreaming of take over the world.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Ouch, I could never give all that up. :noway:

Except cigars...I could give up my cigars.

Oh wait, I don't smoke.
  • _AlabamaSlamma_
    Options
    Hey!

About 70 days ago I gave up alcohol, cigars, red meat and COFFEE! At first I was fine with out COFFEE(!!), but the past week or so I have been missing it! I usually smoked when I drank it but I have NO DSEIRE to start smoking again.

IMHO, if you're still having problems screaming COFFEE!!! everytime you say the word COFFEE!!! It's a good bet you should probably steer clear.

You just said in one sentence what I was trying to say in 20. LOL Exactly my point.

Yeah, I may not have posted that if I had taken all that time to read yours. I still don't know what it says. :tongue:
  • bikerist
    Options
    I drink it before a long bike ride, or occasionally if out in town. It's good before a bike ride because I get less muscle pain as well as a bit of an energy boost!! I need to be careful though, it can make my digestive system kick into overdrive if it's too strong.

Coffee isn't a daily thing for me because I like it with syrups. I'm more of a tea drinker and I drink a lot of peppermint / caffeine free teas, so I really feel the caffeine effect when I drink coffee. Bzzzz.
  • Cali_Chica
    Cali_Chica Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Hey!

Yeah, I may not have posted that if I had taken all that time to read yours. I still don't know what it says. :tongue:

COFFEE!!!!!!!!!

What, what's the problem, Alabama?
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    It's the #1 source of antioxidants in the American diet (according to Dr. Oz). Coffee is fine for you....and maybe even good for you. Just don't put a bunch of crap in it.
  • _AlabamaSlamma_
    Options
    Hey!

COFFEE!!!!!!!!!

What, what's the problem, Alabama?

Ok. No more drinking my coffee for me Chica.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Hey!

Question: what made you decide to eliminate these four things? If it was because you suspected you might have some addictions to them, I would advise to consider continuing to abstain with the coffee, because it could create a "gateway" experience and believe me...you don't want that.

As many have said here, there's nothing wrong with coffee itself. Lots of studies have shown it to actually have some healthy properties for those who drink it daily.

But what I'd be concerned about - it how YOU feel when you drink it. In other words....does the caffeine make you feel like eating or drinking things you've already decided you don't want to? Caffeine affects people differently - for example, when I drink it I start to physically shake and I get quite irritable - it's NOT a pleasant experience. Some people depend on it to "feel good" or "feel awake". That's not so healthy and that could create a gateway BEHAVIOR (i.e., dependence on a substance to feel good) that takes you further into starting in on foods/drinks/behaviors you were once trying to give up.

You know yourself best. Do you honestly think you can handle the coffee and not have it affect you in other ways? If so, maybe give it a try one day - and if you find yourself getting into that mindset of "I GOTTA HAVE THIS or I won't be happy", then you might want to back off again.

Just a thought.

Ummm no. I have never been a heavy drinker or smoker of any kind. I got a blood clot in my lung. The doctor says I can drink in moderation but I just gave it up completely. Alcohol is toxic to everyones body. I wanted to just be as natural as possible.
  • nanaloseweight
    nanaloseweight Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Switch to de-caff you will not look back, also take green tea through the day too....so good for you.
  • Brandolin11
    Options
    Hey!

No worries - it wasn't meant for you anyway! ;) lol The OP read it, that's all I care about. Still....I could use a course on being more succinct! haha
  • Brandolin11
    Options
    Hey!

Question: what made you decide to eliminate these four things? If it was because you suspected you might have some addictions to them, I would advise to consider continuing to abstain with the coffee, because it could create a "gateway" experience and believe me...you don't want that.

As many have said here, there's nothing wrong with coffee itself. Lots of studies have shown it to actually have some healthy properties for those who drink it daily.

But what I'd be concerned about - it how YOU feel when you drink it. In other words....does the caffeine make you feel like eating or drinking things you've already decided you don't want to? Caffeine affects people differently - for example, when I drink it I start to physically shake and I get quite irritable - it's NOT a pleasant experience. Some people depend on it to "feel good" or "feel awake". That's not so healthy and that could create a gateway BEHAVIOR (i.e., dependence on a substance to feel good) that takes you further into starting in on foods/drinks/behaviors you were once trying to give up.

You know yourself best. Do you honestly think you can handle the coffee and not have it affect you in other ways? If so, maybe give it a try one day - and if you find yourself getting into that mindset of "I GOTTA HAVE THIS or I won't be happy", then you might want to back off again.

Just a thought.

Ummm no. I have never been a heavy drinker or smoker of any kind. I got a blood clot in my lung. The doctor says I can drink in moderation but I just gave it up completely. Alcohol is toxic to everyones body. I wanted to just be as natural as possible.

In that case, I see no issue with it, myself. :) I think coffee is quite natural. :)
  • abickford82
    Options
    I have it with every meal. It's one thing I probably do that isn't good for me.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    i think if it makes you want to smoke again No! If you can change the habit maybe you prepare it a different way or drink it any a different manner/ritual then yes.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    drink the damn coffee….everyone around you will thank you ..