dieter's edema, squishy fat, wooshes and what nots

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

We know from really old literature (lovely descriptions in French from the revolution period) that the quality of meat flesh, butter etc is dependent of the "oil" diet of animals when these were changed and that the fat fluidity changed with specific diets exerimentally between butter and margerine in calves, etc. I would guess (guess!) that when you add that to how lipolysis rates occur differently for different lipids the fluidity of tissue is affected.

thats interesting what did they find?

Certain oils like linseed make fat less fluid. (And less tasty)

Here is the modern version of that work but with rats. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20599739/
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    I've seen Pilon say the term dieter's edema is from the Minnesota starvation studies.

I too want to know more. I haven't seen much credible about it but I do experience squishy fat and whooshes.

I used to see reports of it more when I frequented a low carbers' bulletin board 10 or so years ago. I wonder if low carb diets encourage it more?

I know almost nothing about cellular biology and quantum physics. But it seems like if matter is mostly space and our bodies are mostly water, there might be something possible with ... I don't know... :ohwell:

Let's say it's from the MSS. What they saw was peripheral edema.

From wiki (i know)...
    Some of the subjects exhibited edema in their extremities, presumably due to decreased levels of plasma proteins given that the body's ability to construct key proteins like albumin is based on available energy sources.

This is one of the reasons I'd like to see move evidence one way or another.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I haven't found anything in the research yet but this is pretty funny (though on a totally different topic)-

Persons with obesity may be poor estimators of caloric content of food. Health care professionals encourage patients to consult nutritional labels as one strategy to assess and restrict caloric intake. Among subjects enrolled in a weight loss clinical trial, the objective is to determine the accuracy of subjects' estimates of caloric deficit needed to achieve the desired weight loss. A 6-month controlled trial demonstrated efficacy of a portion control tool to induce weight loss in 130 obese people with type 2 diabetes. All subjects had previously received dietary teaching from a dietician and a nurse. At baseline, patients were asked how much weight they would like to lose and to quantitatively estimate the caloric deficit required to achieve this weight loss. The stated amount of weight loss desired ranged from 4.5 to 73 kg, with an average of 26.6 kg (n = 127 respondents). Only 30% of participants were willing to estimate the required caloric deficit to lose their target weight. Subjects' per kilograms estimate of caloric deficit required ranged from 0.7 to 2 000 000 calories/kg with a median of 86 calories/kg. Nearly half of subjects (47.4%) underestimated the total required caloric deficit to achieve their target weight loss by greater than 100 000 calories. Despite attendance at a diabetes education centre, this population of obese individuals had a poor understanding of the quantitative relationship between caloric deficit and weight loss. Educational initiatives focused upon quantitative caloric intake and its impact on weight change may be needed to assist obese patients in setting appropriate weight loss goals and achieving the appropriate daily caloric restriction required for success.

Errors in patient perception of caloric deficit required for weight loss—observations from the Diet Plate Trial.

Authors:
    Kline, G. A.1 gakline@ucalgary.ca
    Pedersen, S. D.2
    Source:
    Diabetes, Obesity & Metabolism. May2010, Vol. 12 Issue 5, p455-457. 3p. 2
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    In.
  • prdough
    prdough Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    here is an interesting article I read while doing some research on the topic. http://suite101.com/a/the-truth-about-losing-water-weight-a366151

I'm not that knowledgeable on Science, but this was interesting.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    More from Brad Pilon- (I think he means Ancel Keys.)

“Can you explain what dieter’s edema is? You are the only person
    I’ve ever heard discuss this before.”

"BRAD: Right. So dieter’s edema is very interesting. Part of doing graduate work and research for “Eat Stop Eat” is learning how to ask a question, answer question and trying to find out where some of these assumptions came from. When you’re looking at dieting, it led me to the work of Andrew Keys who did a starvation experiment back in World War II. It was something that everyone used as a reference but no one ever sort of comes out and states they read it. So I tracked it down. It was two volumes with thousands of pages of data and research. In that work is where our original idea that when you’re dieting, cutting calories drastically, you get to a point where all of a sudden you just don’t lose any more weight, even though you’re still technically in calorie deficit. That actually happened with the people in this trial.

But when you do further measurements you realize they’re actually still losing body mass. They’re losing fat mass and they’re actually so depleted they start losing body tissue because these people were on massive diets for several years at a time. But their weight wasn’t changing. They realized that when the body goes into prolonged periods of a caloric deficit as the fat is burned as a fuel you tend to get a watery-like substance moving into where it was. These people started getting edema in their legs. Their legs were really bloated with sort of a water substance, to the point where they could stick their fingers in their legs and leave kind of fingerprints. I know it sounds odd to a lot of the guys but a lot of the women out there will understand what I’m talking about when I say a little bit of water bloating drastically affects the way we look..

This is really interesting because when you look at stories taken from fitness models and body builders with severely restricted diets, trying to get down to what are really unhealthy levels of body fat, for a short period of time for a show, some of them start to see they don’t, what they use a term called “stay smooth.” They’ll use a term “spill over.” They’re not actually gaining fat magically even though they’re in calorie deficit, they’re experiencing dieter’s edema.

The interesting thing with dieter’s edema is that it does not happen during a total fast. If you’re using fasts to lose weight you don’t see this edema. But when you’re using small amounts of calories you tend to get this odd edema going on, in certain cases that are fairly rare. It was unique enough…I wrote a book about it in the “Eat Stop Eat” advanced package.

It’s very phenomenal research. The research was done in the day before a lot of the research ethics that we have now. No way, ever, I could go back to school and recreate those trials. I would not be allowed. We have rules to protect the subjects of trials. That’s how bad of an environment these people were in. So you can’t reproduce this diet. It’s one of a kind data that’s only really found in Andrew Keys work and then in some really interesting work from, believe it or not, the 1800s. They found the same thing.

Extrapolating that to what we’ve seen with fitness models and body builders and severe diets for prolonged periods of time, we realize that the water in your body does play an absolute, huge, underappreciated role in how we look and what we weigh. Even slight fluctuations make water in our body, if it’s close to our skin, can make you look like you’re not losing weight and can take what would have been a very sharp six-pack and make it blurry or almost nonexistent. It’s a little bit of type of bloat that women might see before their period, that sort of concept. Exaggerate that to your whole body and you’ll see where this could create a drastic difference in how your body looks.

An interesting thing I came across, did all the research I could on it and figured it was something people should probably know about. One of the reasons we have that misconception that after a while your body will actually hold onto fat, even though you’re in a caloric deficit, it wasn’t fat. It was a water-like substance."
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I haven't found anything in the research yet but this is pretty funny (though on a totally different topic)-

Persons with obesity may be poor estimators of caloric content of food. Health care professionals encourage patients to consult nutritional labels as one strategy to assess and restrict caloric intake. Among subjects enrolled in a weight loss clinical trial, the objective is to determine the accuracy of subjects' estimates of caloric deficit needed to achieve the desired weight loss. A 6-month controlled trial demonstrated efficacy of a portion control tool to induce weight loss in 130 obese people with type 2 diabetes. All subjects had previously received dietary teaching from a dietician and a nurse. At baseline, patients were asked how much weight they would like to lose and to quantitatively estimate the caloric deficit required to achieve this weight loss. The stated amount of weight loss desired ranged from 4.5 to 73 kg, with an average of 26.6 kg (n = 127 respondents). Only 30% of participants were willing to estimate the required caloric deficit to lose their target weight. Subjects' per kilograms estimate of caloric deficit required ranged from 0.7 to 2 000 000 calories/kg with a median of 86 calories/kg. Nearly half of subjects (47.4%) underestimated the total required caloric deficit to achieve their target weight loss by greater than 100 000 calories. Despite attendance at a diabetes education centre, this population of obese individuals had a poor understanding of the quantitative relationship between caloric deficit and weight loss. Educational initiatives focused upon quantitative caloric intake and its impact on weight change may be needed to assist obese patients in setting appropriate weight loss goals and achieving the appropriate daily caloric restriction required for success.

Errors in patient perception of caloric deficit required for weight loss—observations from the Diet Plate Trial.

Authors:
    Kline, G. A.1 gakline@ucalgary.ca
    Pedersen, S. D.2
    Source:
    Diabetes, Obesity & Metabolism. May2010, Vol. 12 Issue 5, p455-457. 3p. 2

wow...is that 100,000 calories? not sure if its funny but portion distortion is a real thing
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I never have whooshes, but I do get the squishy fat. Nothing in how I lose weight indicates a big water drop; my lbs lost are really gradual. The fat on my belly does get a different texture, definitely, though. And then the inches go down, but again it's a gradual progression.
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    In.
    Because, yeah, squishy fat.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    More from Brad Pilon- (I think he means Ancel Keys.)

“Can you explain what dieter’s edema is? You are the only person
    I’ve ever heard discuss this before.”

"BRAD: Right. So dieter’s edema is very interesting. Part of doing graduate work and research for “Eat Stop Eat” is learning how to ask a question, answer question and trying to find out where some of these assumptions came from. When you’re looking at dieting, it led me to the work of Andrew Keys who did a starvation experiment back in World War II. It was something that everyone used as a reference but no one ever sort of comes out and states they read it. So I tracked it down. It was two volumes with thousands of pages of data and research. In that work is where our original idea that when you’re dieting, cutting calories drastically, you get to a point where all of a sudden you just don’t lose any more weight, even though you’re still technically in calorie deficit. That actually happened with the people in this trial.

But when you do further measurements you realize they’re actually still losing body mass. They’re losing fat mass and they’re actually so depleted they start losing body tissue because these people were on massive diets for several years at a time. But their weight wasn’t changing. They realized that when the body goes into prolonged periods of a caloric deficit as the fat is burned as a fuel you tend to get a watery-like substance moving into where it was. These people started getting edema in their legs. Their legs were really bloated with sort of a water substance, to the point where they could stick their fingers in their legs and leave kind of fingerprints. I know it sounds odd to a lot of the guys but a lot of the women out there will understand what I’m talking about when I say a little bit of water bloating drastically affects the way we look..

This is really interesting because when you look at stories taken from fitness models and body builders with severely restricted diets, trying to get down to what are really unhealthy levels of body fat, for a short period of time for a show, some of them start to see they don’t, what they use a term called “stay smooth.” They’ll use a term “spill over.” They’re not actually gaining fat magically even though they’re in calorie deficit, they’re experiencing dieter’s edema.

The interesting thing with dieter’s edema is that it does not happen during a total fast. If you’re using fasts to lose weight you don’t see this edema. But when you’re using small amounts of calories you tend to get this odd edema going on, in certain cases that are fairly rare. It was unique enough…I wrote a book about it in the “Eat Stop Eat” advanced package.

It’s very phenomenal research. The research was done in the day before a lot of the research ethics that we have now. No way, ever, I could go back to school and recreate those trials. I would not be allowed. We have rules to protect the subjects of trials. That’s how bad of an environment these people were in. So you can’t reproduce this diet. It’s one of a kind data that’s only really found in Andrew Keys work and then in some really interesting work from, believe it or not, the 1800s. They found the same thing.

Extrapolating that to what we’ve seen with fitness models and body builders and severe diets for prolonged periods of time, we realize that the water in your body does play an absolute, huge, underappreciated role in how we look and what we weigh. Even slight fluctuations make water in our body, if it’s close to our skin, can make you look like you’re not losing weight and can take what would have been a very sharp six-pack and make it blurry or almost nonexistent. It’s a little bit of type of bloat that women might see before their period, that sort of concept. Exaggerate that to your whole body and you’ll see where this could create a drastic difference in how your body looks.

An interesting thing I came across, did all the research I could on it and figured it was something people should probably know about. One of the reasons we have that misconception that after a while your body will actually hold onto fat, even though you’re in a caloric deficit, it wasn’t fat. It was a water-like substance."

If true, what would make it so that it doesn't happen at all when losing weight from fasting? Assuming water intake wasn't limited as well.
  • RachelX04
    RachelX04 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    in
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    in..teresting
  • desgmz
    desgmz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    in
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    I don't know but I'm leery of trusting Brad Pilon's research because he's selling a product that he feels is supported by this theory so he's not every objective. But I love that he and Lyle M. at least address it and try to come up with something.

Plus it sounds like famine edema is known to occur ten times more in men than women and is in the lower extremities. It doesn't sound like the same thing, though maybe it's related?
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    In to read later.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Re : the BP quote at the top of this page.

That is a nice advert for his work but his research work did not lead to publication from what I can see in pubmed, the research from 1800 is at best poor work (the role of salt is only understood at around 1850, in 1800 we still talk about dropsy, mercury is still a diuretic and bleeding, leeching common place) or at worst hearsay.

Also, what he states about resistance to loss in MSS is inaccurate - it did occur, to a limited degree with a few individuals but it was not what was seen with the majority.

Extrapolating from famine to small calorie deficit seems spacious at this point.

But I'll continue looking.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I don't know but I'm leery of trusting Brad Pilon's research because he's selling a product that he feels is supported by this theory so he's not every objective. But I love that he and Lyle M. at least address it and try to come up with something.

Plus it sounds like famine edema is known to occur ten times more in men than women and is in the lower extremities. It doesn't sound like the same thing, though maybe it's related?

That's peripheral edema. Pilon is saying that dieters are holding water weight specifically where their fat deposits are. He mentions their legs getting swollen, so that is in line with peripheral edema. But then he makes this jump to the water moving into the previous fatty deposits of dieters. He's all over the place.

My guess is he is full of BS.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

So would it be possible for a cell to go from 10% to, just guessing, 75% fluid filled? I'm picturing little water balloons of fat cells.

Another question are the triglycerides arranged in the cell kind of like a circle of with their little arms inside the droplet?

That is the question, yes.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

So would it be possible for a cell to go from 10% to, just guessing, 75% fluid filled? I'm picturing little water balloons of fat cells.

Another question are the triglycerides arranged in the cell kind of like a circle of with their little arms inside the droplet?

That is the question, yes.

Well from my own research in cell adhesion (smooth muscle cells, immortal lines, chick aorta, fresh) growth serum balancing can create at least a 40-50% change in volume (as measure in a flow cytometer, so error is high) and remain viable. But these were not loaded fat cells.

As to the triglycerides, yes, micelles are just single thickness triglyceride bubble with "the little arms inside the droplet " - the hydrophobic "arms" keeps the lipids away from the intracellular liquid. This is also, btw, how amino acids are transported during absorption in digestion. Need triglycerides to transport protein.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Tagging to read later.