Proposal Ideas

Options
sam_r_i
sam_r_i Posts: 37 Member
Just picked up the ring and looking for ideas on how to propose to my girlfriend? Thoughts or suggestions please.

Replies

• Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    -Ignore this post-
    Just want it on my feed.
    -honest-
  • heylookitsval
    heylookitsval Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    This is just an idea...but maybe ask her "Will you marry me?"

I'd start there.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Does she like Star Trek? 'Cause if she does, this is adorable.

star-trek-engage-ring-picard-1306886589c.jpeg
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Tie it on a string around your peen, have her get on her knees, and then swing it over her head until she catches it.

Worked like a charm for me.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    I know this is going to sound non-committal, but there are a number of things that I think go into this. You want to make it special for her. So how would she like to be proposed to?

Is she someone who likes public displays? Then out in public at a restaurant might be good
    Does she like being a home body? make her a dinner
    if she likes surprises then maybe create an elaborate scavenger hunt that leads her to you wi the ring
    and so on

it should be as simple or as complex as you think she would like...
  • sam_r_i
    Options
    Does she like Star Trek? 'Cause if she does, this is adorable.

star-trek-engage-ring-picard-1306886589c.jpeg

I love it, not sure she would, but I think that's fantastic
  • sam_r_i
    Options
    Tie it on a string around your peen, have her get on her knees, and then swing it over her head until she catches it.

Worked like a charm for me.

Well... she's been waiting for a while, so afraid if she grabs too hard it might not go well for me.
  • Cali_Chica
    Cali_Chica Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    awww, this thread makes me smile. Congratulations to you!! I hope she says "yes"!

I would make her a book with all the reasons she is special to you. Have the ring on the last page inside a little envelope.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like the straightforward yet classic approach of walking up to her with the ring in your pocket. Kiss, talk a bit, and then go down to one knee, pull out the ring box *BAM!* and ask her to marry you. Simple and straightforward.

That is what my husband did on May 3 and you notice I say "husband" so obviously it was a winning proposal ;-)

Best of luck to you!!!
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I think it would be good to be a complete surprise. I chose a night like any other night for us.

It was the middle of the work week (she had a bad day at work which made it better) and we were cooking dinner. I told her I stopped at the store on the way home to get her a little treat and it was in the fridge (she was thinking ice cream or chocolates). I had the ring box in a bag from the grocery store, when she opened the fridge to get the bag and opened it I was behind her on my knee. She knew a ring was coming at some point but was COMPLETELY surprised so it was great
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I know this is going to sound non-committal, but there are a number of things that I think go into this. You want to make it special for her. So how would she like to be proposed to?

Is she someone who likes public displays? Then out in public at a restaurant might be good
    Does she like being a home body? make her a dinner
    if she likes surprises then maybe create an elaborate scavenger hunt that leads her to you wi the ring
    and so on

it should be as simple or as complex as you think she would like...

I agree with this. Make it personal. My girlfriend wasn’t able to go to her senior prom because she had to work to support her mom and little brother, so when I proposed, I set up a small prom with her friends. I got the theme for her school’s prom that year from a friend, had a banner made up, rented out a small space and invited her friends in secret. Since we are adults, I had it at a whirlyball facility, so we had an open bar and whirly ball for when people got tired of dancing (if you’ve never played whirlyball, do so immediately). I showed up at the house in a tux with a corsage and a limo. Everyone came in full dress clothes and we had a blast. She kept asking throughout the night how I planned on topping this if I ever proposed (not sure how she didn’t figure it out). The more personal you can make it, the more memorable it will be.
  • sam_r_i
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas. She definitely knows its coming, but not when. I'm in a bit of a time crunch, as she's hinted she'd really like to have something to show off on the holidays.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    The Jumbotron at your local college/pro sports arena or stadium.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    my BF did it on top of the stratosphere in vegas on New Years
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Just picked up the ring and looking for ideas on how to propose to my girlfriend? Thoughts or suggestions please.

Nice. Good luck. I did it over dinner at a place called Hammersly's in Boston. Worked for us because we're both into excellent food.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Take her to a place that's really special to the both of you. Maybe the place where you met or went on your first date?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    bump

Because i want to read these.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Don't do it on Christmas.

Make it something personable (like a theme you two like, special place, inside joke) SOmething that is YOU and HER. Not cliche

Don't put it in food

Don't put it in a drink

Don't put too much thought into it.

Good luck
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas. She definitely knows its coming, but not when. I'm in a bit of a time crunch, as she's hinted she'd really like to have something to show off on the holidays.

Well the time pressure kinda takes some of the romance out of it. Does she actually want a fiancee/future husband or an engagement ring to show off?

...Congratulations though
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Take her bungee jumping, as she's getting strapped in, get down on one knee, hand her the box with the ring in it and tell her not to open it until you're ready, grab a knife and her bungee cord, then tell her to open the box and at the same time, ask her to marry you. Her outcome for the day is in direct correlation with her response to the question.