Proposal Ideas

Options

Replies

• waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    It has to be something you both have in common. My wife and I are baseball fans and our first date was a Rockies game. At the end of the season they do a fireworks show and if you sit in certain sections you get to watch the fireworks laying on the grass in centerfield. Having been to a number of these fireworks games I kind of timed it so that after she said yes the grand finale which is always awesome, started to go off. No jumbo tron for me. :bigsmile:
  • hopefaithlove24
    hopefaithlove24 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Awe congrats! Hope she says yes! If she wants it on Christmas I wouldn't do it on Christmas! Takes the fun out of it:) Completely surprise her:)
    My hubby took me snowmobiling, a foot of snow a small creek in the middle of the woods is where he got down on one knee! It was the perfect proposal for me:) Big part depends on her personality! Whether she likes public or not:)
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Find a romantic spot in your city/town to propose. :)
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I think it would be good to be a complete surprise. I chose a night like any other night for us.

It was the middle of the work week (she had a bad day at work which made it better) and we were cooking dinner. I told her I stopped at the store on the way home to get her a little treat and it was in the fridge (she was thinking ice cream or chocolates). I had the ring box in a bag from the grocery store, when she opened the fridge to get the bag and opened it I was behind her on my knee. She knew a ring was coming at some point but was COMPLETELY surprised so it was great

This is a cute and fun idea!
  • samanthahix12
    Options
    Take her bungee jumping, as she's getting strapped in, get down on one knee, hand her the box with the ring in it and tell her not to open it until you're ready, grab a knife and her bungee cord, then tell her to open the box and at the same time, ask her to marry you. Her outcome for the day is in direct correlation with her response to the question.

Uh, creepy much?
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Make her wait til Dec 26th so she's all pissy she didn't get a ring to show off on the holidays. If after the proposal she's still pissy because you did it after the holidays, you picked the wrong girl.
  • futurestarz
    Options
    My husband did it in our living room. The most special part of the proposal was him telling me how much he loved me, and getting down on one knee. I think it will be wonderful no matter what you do, as long as she knows how much you care about her. Also, getting down on one knee is pretty important too!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I think it would be good to be a complete surprise. I chose a night like any other night for us.

It was the middle of the work week (she had a bad day at work which made it better) and we were cooking dinner. I told her I stopped at the store on the way home to get her a little treat and it was in the fridge (she was thinking ice cream or chocolates). I had the ring box in a bag from the grocery store, when she opened the fridge to get the bag and opened it I was behind her on my knee. She knew a ring was coming at some point but was COMPLETELY surprised so it was great

Yes! So much this.

My husband proposed in a very similar way. Simple and a total surprise. It was a Friday evening at home, we were in my living room and I was in pajamas!
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Make her wait til Dec 26th so she's all pissy she didn't get a ring to show off on the holidays. If after the proposal she's still pissy because you did it after the holidays, you picked the wrong girl.

Yes!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Take her bungee jumping, as she's getting strapped in, get down on one knee, hand her the box with the ring in it and tell her not to open it until you're ready, grab a knife and her bungee cord, then tell her to open the box and at the same time, ask her to marry you. Her outcome for the day is in direct correlation with her response to the question.

Uh, creepy much?

As much as I can possibly get away with. Thanks for asking! :flowerforyou:
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    We were visiting Haworth waterfall where the Bronte sisters sometimes visited and wrote parts of their stories. My husband asked me to stand on a spot where the water came down at either side in order, he said, that he could take a photo. He then got down on one knee and proposed. I said yes and started to cry. We walked back down to the main path with me blubbering. People were staring and quite a few were giving my husband the evil eye assuming that he'd done/said something horrible to me until I announced to everyone that he'd just proposed lol.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options

That's what I was going to say. Disappoint her now, surprise her later
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    The time table, is a little off but maybe a good plan would be Christmas eve, she gets the announcement and you get to make her wait with anticipation. I think simple and sweet would be the way to go. Please don't put it in her food, choking and a broken tooth would probably ruin the moment.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

That's what I was going to say. Disappoint her now, surprise her later

or this, depending if she has an attitude about it.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    My husband built a wooden box, put lights in it, cut "Will you marry me, Lila?" on the front and put a purple color filter on it so that it would light up really pretty. He took me out sledding and had my mom hang the sign on our garage. We went and had a great time together! Then he distracted me as we came back. As soon as I saw the sign, I turned back to him, and he was on his knee in the snow with the ring :-) My family was watching from the windows and our neighbors took pictures from across the street. It was so romantic.

He did it on the winter solstice Dec 21st. I am really glad that he didn't do it on Christmas like he had planned originally, but having a special date is nice so that neither of us forget lol.

He also thought about ordering the M&Ms that you can customize with a message, and he also hoarded a bunch of the taco bell packets that say "will you marry me":huh: . Really glad that he did what he did instead. It was nice that he talked to my Mom and Grandma about it first for their blessing too.

As most people said, it depends on what YOUR lady wants. Having her pressure you so that she can show off does seem a little odd. Have you been dragging your feet? Maybe she just wants to make sure that it IS going to happen before shes old and grey?
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on HER. My hubby proposed last year for Christmas. He was going to do it at my mom's house on Christmas Day with all of the family there (like hide it in the tree or something)...but he was too excited and couldn't wait. LOL! :happy:

He wound up asking me the Saturday afternoon before Christmas when he got home from running errands (aka picking it up hahaha!) and I got home from making gnocchi at my mom's. He had given me a sapphire ring several years before that I wore on my left ring finger. We were sitting on the couch, chatting about our day, snuggling with the kitties and watching the tree. He was fiddling with my ring...took it off my finger, looked at it and was like "where'd you get this?" I looked at him like he was an idiot (lol), and said "YOU gave it to me like 4 years ago for Christmas...remember??" He goes "oh yeah...I did, didn't I? and puts it back on my finger. But it didn't feel right. I looked down, saw the engagement ring (which he had had made by one of the best jewelers in town who he is friends with, and it was EXACTLY what I had described to him that I wanted like two years before), and did the "fish face" where I just opened and closed my mouth about 10 times with nothing coming out except a few squeaks. :heart: I looked up at him and said "really???" (we'd been together for over 7 years). He said "yes, you are my best friend, and I love you and want to spend the rest of my life with you". :heart: :heart: :heart: We got married on Sept 21st. :heart: :heart:
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    How much time you got? Cause this is fracking awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYh9DCN8ads
  • sam_r_i
    sam_r_i Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've thought about the waiting till after Christmas, but considering we picked out the ring 3 months ago, I may have made her wait long enough already. And besides, I didn't think it would be a good idea to start things off by intentionally trying to irritate her, lol.

I do like the idea of waiting till Christmas eve. I think by then, she might have just about given up on getting it before Christmas and then we'd be able to tell our families as we where there for the holidays as opposed to having to call everyone.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Just do it the way she would want to be proposed to. My husband and I are very private about the ins and outs of our relationship, so his proposal was just between us. We were watching the sun set on Pearl Harbor (we lived in Hawaii at the time), and we talked briefly about the future. Then a second later, he was down on a knee.

The best part? He did it on HIS birthday, where I had been treating him to dinner and gifts. So it was a complete and total surprise for me.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on HER. My hubby proposed last year for Christmas. He was going to do it at my mom's house on Christmas Day with all of the family there (like hide it in the tree or something)...but he was too excited and couldn't wait. LOL! :happy:

He wound up asking me the Saturday afternoon before Christmas when he got home from running errands (aka picking it up hahaha!) and I got home from making gnocchi at my mom's. He had given me a sapphire ring several years before that I wore on my left ring finger. We were sitting on the couch, chatting about our day, snuggling with the kitties and watching the tree. He was fiddling with my ring...took it off my finger, looked at it and was like "where'd you get this?" I looked at him like he was an idiot (lol), and said "YOU gave it to me like 4 years ago for Christmas...remember??" He goes "oh yeah...I did, didn't I? and puts it back on my finger. But it didn't feel right. I looked down, saw the engagement ring (which he had had made by one of the best jewelers in town who he is friends with, and it was EXACTLY what I had described to him that I wanted like two years before), and did the "fish face" where I just opened and closed my mouth about 10 times with nothing coming out except a few squeaks. :heart: I looked up at him and said "really???" (we'd been together for over 7 years). He said "yes, you are my best friend, and I love you and want to spend the rest of my life with you". :heart: :heart: :heart: We got married on Sept 21st. :heart: :heart:

This is really cute. :heart: