Thunder Thighs?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• glamgrljess22
    glamgrljess22 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Never really thought to measure my thighs before my right thigh is 18.5 and my left one is 19.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    But decreasing the size of your waist increases that ratio. You could lose 100 pounds and lose 12" off of your waist and almost nothing on your hips.

IF THAT IS YOUR BONE STUCTURE.

Gah. You have no clue about body types and shapes, do you?

If you naturally have very narrow hips, your waist and hips will never have that ratio. never. No matter how much body fat you lose, no matter how small your waist gets. Because guess what? Your hips will also get smaller as you lose body fat in that case.

To be fair, you don't necessarily lose inches at the same rate everywhere.
    I agree. But to tell someone her goal "should be" something that may literally be impossible is silliness.

Where did she say OP's goal "should be" anything?

For the record I think it's silliness to completely ignore something that IS possible, even if it's not a certainty.

My W:H ratio changed. I lost a couple inches off my waist and my hip measurement stayed basically the same over the course of several months.
    go by waist to hip ratio. .7 and below is awesome.

That isnot possible for everyone. It just isn't. I don't care how many people come in here and tell me smoeone with narrow hips can lift weight sor diet or anything and get to a pear or hourglass shape if that is not their bone structure. It is not possible.

You can lose body fat and build up muscle and get a smaller waist and maybe do some squats and build up your rear eand, but you cannot giver yourself a pear or hourglass shape if you do not have the bone structure for it.

I am an hourglass. I will NEVER have a waist that is the same size as my hips unless I gain a LOT of weight.

...That's what people are saying though? Am I missing something? Bone structure =/= fat distribution. You're using the two interchangeably, even though they often correlate.

You could easily spend 6 months losing weight. Start off at 40-30-40 and end up at 30-20-30, but during that time period, be a 35-25-40, or a 40-27-35 (or some other combo). The basic waist/hip structure is still there, but fat and all the hormones tend to go at different rates.

I personally don't carry weight in my legs though I'm an hourglass; though, apparently 21" thighs are huge now?! My waist hasn't ever been bigger than my hips, but my personal experience losing weight can't possibly account for ALL people losing weights at all body types?

"Tending to carry weight" in certain places/a certain rate for a body type doesn't mean everyone does of that body type.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    2. Whoever told you that you cannot get a smaller waist than you were born with is highly incorrect. In the last year alone I lost 8 inches on my waist. So my w:h ratio went from .82 to .7

Of course you can shrinnk your waist. You cannot, however, change your bone structure. If you have the bone structure for that ratio, then you will have it. If you do not have the bone structure, you won't. Period. You can't diet and exercise yourself into a different body type.

When I was overweight, I was an hourglass, same chest/hip measurement, and a 10" smaller waist or whatever that rule is.
    When I lost weight, I am pear shaped.
    Obviously I do not lose fat at the same rate in my waist and hips.
    This also makes my waist to hip rate change.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    So, getting back to thighs: Mine are 19" at 5'6". I wish they were bigger (moar muscles!) but even when I was squatting heavy they only got up to 20 inches. I know it would take a lot of bulks and cuts to gain there - I accept that I am built more like a runner than a figure competitor. :sad: <
    Really, really, I accept it. ?

ETA: I was truly saddened to read all the accounts of body shaming from parents that posters had to endure. WTF is up with that?? :explode:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    2. Whoever told you that you cannot get a smaller waist than you were born with is highly incorrect. In the last year alone I lost 8 inches on my waist. So my w:h ratio went from .82 to .7

Of course you can shrinnk your waist. You cannot, however, change your bone structure. If you have the bone structure for that ratio, then you will have it. If you do not have the bone structure, you won't. Period. You can't diet and exercise yourself into a different body type.

When I was overweight, I was an hourglass, same chest/hip measurement, and a 10" smaller waist or whatever that rule is.

UNPOSSIBLE!!!!!!
  • Rosyone
    Rosyone Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    lol geez...

Now I feel bad - Its the fault of a photo from my kid's christmas party where I was sitting on my feet.. oh dear god they look massive! :(

A photo of one of our toddlers taken on a beach vacation years ago cured me of thinking my thighs were too massive. The child was the subject of the photo and it was taken from down on his level, with just the lower half of my standing body visible off to one side. I was astonished by how slender and shapely my legs looked from that angle. They looked just like my sister's, and I'd always thought she had much better legs than I did.

They're the same size as yours, by the way. 21"
  • mrskatbevins
    Options
    31 inches, now that's thunda thighs! =) Who cares what size your thights are, love yourself regardless.
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    I just started measuring thighs today. 28 inches. Talk about incentive to get back to the gym and get to doing those thigh busting exercises. I better find out which ones those are!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

This ^^^ is what is going on with me. I honestly have no idea where in fruitland I'll land, and really don't care all that much. Smaller than now = good. In fact, I may hit all shapes as I shrink, as fat doesn't always go away consistently from everywhere.