What causes failure?

Options

Replies

• Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    Being healthy isn't a hobby, it's a job. It's not meant to be "fun", it's something that needs to be done, like cleaning the kitchen or feeding the dog.

If you don't treat it like a job, odds are, you will fail.

IMO, etc.

Couldn't disagree more.

The human body is near perfect.

People just eat too much, encouraged on by advertising and false social cues.

Your body has been corrupted.

The human body has evolved over hundreds of millions of years.

To think you have to "work" to be healthy is counter-intuitive.

Just don't pack in all the crap you see advertised on TV and you will be amazed at how well you will feel.

Over time, you will lose weight as well, without the need for calorie restriction or exercise.

An easy way is to just skip breakfast and get used to having an empty stomach for the rest of the day.

OK- let the naysayers and fitness folks and those who make money off of keeping YOU obese jump in and pillory me!

Not a naysayer, but I will say training your brain to ignore those cues is work. Everything else feels pretty good. Except for the backsliding into a pile of sugary processed evil. Avoiding the 'I can eat just a little bit of that now' syndrome is about the mental work for me, and it is work.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    It's the on-off mentality.

If you change your lifestyle and cut down rather than out, you're more likely to keep your new body.
  • Jestinia
    Options

If you change your lifestyle and cut down rather than out, you're more likely to keep your new body.

Unless you're a binge eater triggered by specific foods. And I am. This does not and has never worked for me. If I'd stop forgetting that, I wouldn't have to keep losing the same pounds over and over again.
  • ingraha
    ingraha Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate this post and this question. I am somewhere between 2-5 pounds away from my self appointed goal. I also havent quite figured out what that goal is. The weight height chart has a lower weight for my height(116 at 5'1) than I ever weighed since I was thirteen. I dont even know if I can go that low. Irregardless, between the ages of twenty and 59 I went up to 156, slowly gaining every year, never losing no matter what diet or exercise or gym I tried, until I went to MFP. I have not lost 28 pounds since May and have a huge fear of this weight gain at maintenance. I plan to keep the FitBit tracker and log my food for the next decades. As I go into my sixties and seventies, the importance of good nutrition and health multiply in different ways. My mother is 81 and she has just started MFP and walking with a FitBit. Obviously the goal of age is health, not buff bodies. So thanks to everyone on here who is truly committed to a healthy lifestyle. The support is invaluable.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Unless you're a binge eater triggered by specific foods. And I am. This does not and has never worked for me. If I'd stop forgetting that, I wouldn't have to keep losing the same pounds over and over again.

Try losing at a slower rate.
  • Jestinia
    Options

Try losing at a slower rate.

Except I was in maintenance. Note the 'was'. I tried controlling portion size while eating the foods I love from Halloween to Thanksgiving. Didn't work out so well. Fortunately I caught it in time and I'll be back to where I was in a few weeks.
  • eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    For me it was stress. I gave up my job, gave away all my big furniture, loaded everything into a uhaul and moved 2000+ miles from Seattle to Dallas with no job waiting for me (I did it for my elderly mother who lived alone). I had lost 12 pounds and gained it all back during the move. Then the issue was financial. When you don't have a job, it is far cheaper to buy a box of ramen noodles and hot dogs than it is to eat healthy.

And here I am, back again.

I suggest to those who insist it is pure laziness or lack of will power to consider that life is not always that black and white. Consider that there might be a bigger story behind someone's weight gain.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    My theory is that people don't have a good idea what successful maintenance will be like for them. They anticipate being able to have fries with their hamburger and beer with their pizza and desert after dinner. In reality they may only be able to do one of those things and not every day. Combine this expectation with relaxing on their logging and the weight comes back on before they even notice.

I"m worrying about maintenance already, even though I'm still a good ways from my goal weight. I looked at one of those TDEE calcualtors to see what mine would be at my goal weight. It was a lot less than I expected. It was maybe only a donut more per day than what I'm currently eating to slowly lose weight. I'm practically eating at maintenance already!

Those previous posters that pointed out deprivation causing weight relapse were right on target. However it is that you are manageing to losing weight, you need to not deprive yourself too much because the way you are eating now is pretty much the same way you will have to eat at maintenance with only a very few changes.
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Quitting=Failure
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    This is a good question.

I don't think I have the right answer but to make some observations:

- I don't think it's a singular cause such as "not wanting it bad enough".
    - I think it's a combination of factors and I think that the collective list of barriers to weight loss success will differ from person to person.

Some things that come to mind:

- Lacking quality information. Part of this lies in the absolutely horrible dieting industry and them pushing scammy products and misinformation.
    - Not putting enough emphasis on dietary adherence and/or lacking the knowledge to maximize adherence through various strategies.
    - Biological factors that predispose us to resist weight loss or regain weight (hunger signaling/hormonal responses to dieting/AT)
    - Not wanting it bad enough. (I believe this is a legitimate element, it's just not the only element).
    - Methodological flaws in diet and/or exercise that stem from the information piece above.
    - I do believe the food industry is a variable. To be clear, I am not BLAMING obesity on the food industry. Far from it. However I believe the availability and prevalence of high energy density foods with very low satiety and very appealing flavor certainly doesn't help things.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    People fail because they give up, pure and simple. A lot of people choose a diet/exercise routine that they can't stick to for the long term. They feel that once they have achieved their goal that they can reward themselves with lots of food and relaxation (which actually is sometimes just what the dr ordered lol). But what many fail to realize is that they need to make lifestyle changes, changes that they can maintain for months and/or years. Also they need to realize that when they achieve a goal, they should reevaluate and set a new goal. Never stop trying to reach further. The human body is capable of some amazing things. And if you stop trying to go further you will never fully reach your potential, you will never become the strongest version of yourself that you can be. And that goes for pretty much all facets of your life, whether it be education, career, relationships, etc.
  • st_scrivener
    Options
    For me, it's hard to maintain because sometimes it feels like I'm still dieting and it's hard for me to feel like I'm missing out on things. I've lost quite a bit of weight so far, but I've actually been maintaining for about a year after losing the motivation to continue losing. During that time, certain things changed in my life that made even maintaining difficult.

What sucks for me is my life is pretty spontaneous. If I don't think I'm going out at all that night, and then eat all my maintenance calories by, say, 7 PM, only to be invited out to the bars with my friends, I have to choose between keeping a healthy social life or sticking to my calorie count. Most times, I decide to go out drinking and plan on eating less/exercising more the next day.

That doesn't always work, though. Things come up. The weather is bad (I don't have access to a gym). I get sick.

It's a lifelong decision to work on maintaining your health. Some days are going to be "bad," but you're only going to gain weight if you don't take measures to counteract those bad days, or give up altogether. I could gain three pounds one week, but then the following week I'll make the decision to do what I need to do to lose those pounds again, and that's how I've been maintaining.

Another thing that helps me is setting fitness goals. I've signed up for a half marathon and marathon this next year, so that keeps me motivated. I'm also doing a few 30 day challenges at the moment. Oh, yeah, and my fiance bought me some jeans for Christmas that are a size too small, which is great incentive to lose these last few pounds!
  • j75j75
    Options
    This is a good question.

- I think it's a combination of factors and I think that the collective list of barriers to weight loss success will differ from person to person.

- Lacking quality information. Part of this lies in the absolutely horrible dieting industry and them pushing scammy products and misinformation.
    - Not putting enough emphasis on dietary adherence and/or lacking the knowledge to maximize adherence through various strategies.
    - Biological factors that predispose us to resist weight loss or regain weight (hunger signaling/hormonal responses to dieting/AT)
    - Not wanting it bad enough. (I believe this is a legitimate element, it's just not the only element).
    - Methodological flaws in diet and/or exercise that stem from the information piece above.
    - I do believe the food industry is a variable. To be clear, I am not BLAMING obesity on the food industry. Far from it. However I believe the availability and prevalence of high energy density foods with very low satiety and very appealing flavor certainly doesn't help things.

^^This is also a BIG part of it
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    For me I guess it's all about mindset and commitment. To lose weight (and keep it off) I decide to learn and to do what is necessary to make it happen. This includes diet, exercise, and any other number of actions/rituals that will maximize success in achieving my goals. The second part, the commitment, is mainly to myself, but it also helps to have accountability partners to keep you honest, to share in successes, and to give a kick when needed. The commitment thing is pretty important. Sometimes it is a daily renewal of priorities. Sometimes it is a minute by minute decision that I am not going to eat "X" or I am going to workout now.

Failure is letting go of all of this.
  • j75j75
    Options
    For me, it's hard to maintain because sometimes it feels like I'm still dieting and it's hard for me to feel like I'm missing out on things. I've lost quite a bit of weight so far, but I've actually been maintaining for about a year after losing the motivation to continue losing. During that time, certain things changed in my life that made even maintaining difficult.

What sucks for me is my life is pretty spontaneous. If I don't think I'm going out at all that night, and then eat all my maintenance calories by, say, 7 PM, only to be invited out to the bars with my friends, I have to choose between keeping a healthy social life or sticking to my calorie count. Most times, I decide to go out drinking and plan on eating less/exercising more the next day.

That doesn't always work, though. Things come up. The weather is bad (I don't have access to a gym). I get sick.

It's a lifelong decision to work on maintaining your health. Some days are going to be "bad," but you're only going to gain weight if you don't take measures to counteract those bad days, or give up altogether. I could gain three pounds one week, but then the following week I'll make the decision to do what I need to do to lose those pounds again, and that's how I've been maintaining.

Another thing that helps me is setting fitness goals. I've signed up for a half marathon and marathon this next year, so that keeps me motivated. I'm also doing a few 30 day challenges at the moment. Oh, yeah, and my fiance bought me some jeans for Christmas that are a size too small, which is great incentive to lose these last few pounds!

Try intermittent fasting so you can still go out and enjoy time with friends. Also if you don't have access to the gym, make a plan B. Think of things you can do at home, write it down, put it away in a drawer. Pull it out when the weather is bad.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    And don't blame physiology.

Naturally thin people have the EXACT SAME GENETIC SET-UP AND METABOLISM as overweight people.

I'm not "blaming" physiology, I'm listing physiological factors that can be barriers to weight loss.

Someone who diets down from 250 to 150 will experience effects that are not necessarily present in someone who is 150 but never got fat in the first place.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal weight on Dec. 17. I've also been a lifelong yo-yo and am working to ditch that habit. Here's how:

1. Sustainability.
    -- I lost the weight slowly this time, aiming for a half-pound loss per week (and averaging more like three-quarters). This means that the only real change I'm making in maintenance is eating slightly more calories than before. In other words, I have very little adjustment to make. I don't have to enter into a completely new learning process to maintain.
    -- I'm eating the same foods as during my weight loss. No special diet, just healthier eating and better eating habits.
    -- I've made exercise a habit.
    In the past, my failures have come from lack of sustainable practices.

2. Better stress responses. In the past, my failures have come from stress eating. These days I'm helped by meditation responses, and also by stopping and breathing. I have to decide if my hunger is stress-hunger or real hunger. I have to listen to my body, which takes concentration and some time, but I get better with practice.

3. Vigilance. I'm still logging, still weighing myself. It's become a habit. I enjoy number crunching, so I make it fun. I enjoy eating the foods that I do, so no problem there. I just make sure I stay within my goals. In the past, my failures have come from taking my eye off the ball and falling back into bad habits.

One more thing...
    7.) Money - supplements and clean foods are expensive.

That's not as big an issue as one might think. According to this article, eating healthier foods (and not counting weight loss, i.e., eating less food) adds up to an extra $1.50 a day on average:
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/12/05/249072685/what-separates-a-healthy-and-unhealthy-diet-just-1-50-per-day

On Sept. 1, 2012, I ditched processed, pre-packaged food for the most part and started eating much more fresh produce. Between the first eight months and the last four months of last year I saved 34.7 percent on my average monthly grocery bill: more than a third.

The final numbers aren't in yet because this year isn't over yet, but from my estimates my total food bill for 2013 will come to 7 percent less than my total food bill for 2012. That's counting my four months of better, cheaper eating in 2012. It's also counting the fact that I buy for two and the main dietary changes are just mine.

So there are the hard numbers. Next year I get to see what maintenance does to my grocery bill (that, and inflation). As for the health premium, losing the weight has improved both my blood glucose and my cholesterol levels. You can't put a price on that.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    This is a good question.

Sure you should blame the food industry.

Why wouldn't you?

Of course you should blame the "diet industry."

They make money off selling worthless products that they know will fail long-term.

And don't blame physiology.

Naturally thin people have the EXACT SAME GENETIC SET-UP AND METABOLISM as overweight people.

Let your body re-equilibrate by not assaulting it with lots of food.

Very simple.

But the UNLEARNING process can be uncomfortable, and you have to face certain myths that have become embedded in our society.

"Breakfast is the least important meal of the day" says it all. It is by Hagan and the freebie first couple chapters you can access on Kindle is all you need.

So, there is no such thing as personal accountability, individual circumstances and priorities, metabolic differences, differences in personal satiety and hunger signalling?
  • Jestinia
    Options

So, there is no such thing as personal accountability, individual circumstances and priorities, metabolic differences, differences in personal satiety and hunger signalling?

As for your first sentence, of course there is. But when idiot pedestrian steps out in front of speeding, drunk driver, the blame usually gets shared between them. Personally, I'd just be happy if they stopped marketing crap to kids and turned the school lunch program into something that is actually healthy.

As for your second part: The attempts by well-meaning people to undermine those of us exploring how best to work with our own differences in satiety and hunger signalling to create a sustainable pattern of eating are unrelenting. I say low carb works for me, invariably someone is going to suggest moderation of sugars and carbs instead, which never has worked for me.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    As someone who has lost weight, and gained it back several times before finally getting myself together, I can tell you that not knowing myself was the biggest reason I failed. I tried to do things I saw other people doing, because they seemed happy and looked great. It didn't work for me. I always fell off the wagon, because I'm not them, and my life isn't theirs. In this way, you have to realize what you want and what you're willing to put into it and be honest about it. If you keep setting goals that you're not willing to earn, then all you're doing is setting yourself up to fail over and over again.