What to do when the pizza place is right across the street?

Options
124»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I walk across the street and eat pizza. I have a coffee shop and pizza place both within 2 minutes walking from my house. I visit them often. Life is pretty good. :glasses:
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I live right next door to Wendy's. I thought it would be a problem, but what keeps me away most of the time is their dumb crew. I work fast food, so I understand how things run, and they are just not very good at it. It's too frustrating.

Either find something that really works with your diet, or find something that really bugs you about the place so you're hesitant to go.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I too am surrounded by restaurants. Hell, I share a fence boundary with Tim Hortons and Pizza Hut is right across the street from there! Luckily I could leave either of those but if it was a Domino's instead of Pizza Hut, there would be real trouble.

For the most part, you can definitely have pizza or chinese or whatever else you like. Keep it within proper portions and exercise to make up the rest. Since you can't buy by the slice, just order a small, plan to eat about half with a salad and put the other half in your freezer immediately - that way you can't eat it right away very easily.

Overall, planning meals is the best way to avoid temptations IMHO. And it really doesn't take that much time. Come up with your meals for the week before you go grocery shopping, pick up everything you need, cook up a few dishes that can be made into leftovers for easy re-heating and voila, you're covered.

This even works well for those with partners. If you've got chicken (or pork chops or whatever) thawed that needs to be cooked up before it goes bad, it's a very convenient excuse for postponing their craving for take-out. Sorry honey, I need to cook up this chicken tonight or we're basically throwing money in the trash. We'll have pizza tomorrow night or this weekend. That way you can plan your next couple days to allow for a little indulgence. And who knows, maybe by then they'll forget about their cravings and you can avoid it altogether.
  • cajun_qt
    Options
    You look at at that place as though it were a dragon's den. Your mortal enemy. Certainly the dragon is hoarding treasures in there but it not always worth the risk. It taunts you from across the moat, but you have a warriors heart and though you are brave, you are not stupid.

if you think it is a smart choice and you are in desperate need of gold, it will okay to slip in undetected on occasion. but only on occasion.

for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

you can do it. the peasants believe in you.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need more sleep. If you're consistently tired enough that you feel too tired to cook, then take that excuse off the table by resting more.

Also, at least occasionally, eat the pizza.
  • Sonmi429
    Sonmi429 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    OP, I get what you're feeling. I have the same problem but with pastries and ice cream. I live near so many bakeries, coffee shops and ice cream shops I almost have to walk with my eyes shut to avoid temptation.

I'm really trying to discipline myself and I use these thoughts to convince myself that these are not for me.

* Budget: I remember when I ate an ice cream everyday and how much money I spent when I could use it for any other purpose.

* Making conditions: are the employees clean enough? I think that most of them are not

* Health: I always remember these people who live long, healthy years and they definitely didn't make it eating junk food. I think how bad some ingredients are for our arteries.

* And if you don't like working out too much, may be think about how much extra work out you'll need to burn that treat off.
  • smand2000
    Options
    As someone previously mentioned, learn to customize your orders. Almost every restaurant will accommodate. Chinese - get vegetables and chicken or shrimp, steamed, sauce on the side, and add just a dab (tablespoon) when you're ready to eat. Pizza - sometimes get no cheese with chicken and veggies, sometimes get very little cheese, etc ... take a slice or two out of the box, and put the rest in the fridge BEFORE you start eating. And then follow through and don't open the fridge again - your meal is done (in the restaurant, take out your slice or two, and have the rest already wrapped to go before you start eating).

Never be shy to be the guy who asks "grilled, sauce on the side" (or no sauce, or steamed, etc) for any dish on any menu. A simple squeeze of lemon, lime, or orange will become your friend. After awhile, your taste buds and cravings will change, and more importantly, you will get used to portion sizes that work within your calorie range.

You can eat out comfortably while staying healthy and losing weight. Best of luck in the new year!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have plenty of healthy foods at home that are quick and easy to make. I work part time, have 2 young kids, and my husband works shifts, soon the week he does late shift and the days I work, I make sure I have food that won't take a lot of preparation. I do things like jacket potato, pasta, chicken and veg, fish and veg etc. The jackets take longer in the oven, but you can start them off in the microwave if you need to.

Within 5 minutes walk of my flat you can get Dominoes, Chinese, fish 'n' chips and kebab. We rarely go to these places. Ok, it helps that I'm not really a fan of them, but even so....
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I live within 2 blocks of 2 bakeries, 2 mexican restaurants, a creperie, an ice cream shop, a candy store, a tap room, and 6 other restaurants. You just tell yourself that you eat food that is in your house except maybe once every week or two. If it's not an option, you don't think about it. You change the cognitive processes in your mind and then choosing food from home becomes a habit through practice. I freaking love the homemade ice cream store near my house but it's simply not in my plan to eat there daily. It's a treat for me.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I can literally take a walk outside of my apartment and the pizza place is right across the street from where I live. It takes me about 60 seconds to cross the street from my apartment door to the pizza place. What makes this scenario worse is that right next door is a Chinese take out place! So here I am minding my own business on the one day off I get during the week and as I am taking out the trash I realized I have worked so hard this week and I am just so tired and do not feel like cooking or making a mess in my kitchen and that pizza sure sounds about right.

I know I cannot have these foods since they are my weakness. But it was right there so I walk into the pizza place almost feeling like I had to drag myself out of there. I walked in and the smell was just ever so amazing and as I see them take one pizza after the other out of the oven it was like the pizza could talk and it was saying to me "you know you want me cause this is delicious and tasty so just order one now" but I knew I could not. So instead I looked up the menu and ordered a salad instead.

I was so proud of myself for not giving into my urge or temptation to order this pizza or to walk right next door and get Chinese food instead. However this happens often. Like if I am on the go or have a really busy day I feel like ordering out at one of these places is just easier and faster for me since I am always working or at school. How do I make it so that I don't want to go and eat at these places? Better yet when I walk in and order a salad but I really want that pizza how do I make it so my craving redirects itself to wanting a salad instead of a pizza? Seems so simple yet really such a difficult task for me.

Sounds like you dont need advice, since you already beat it this once! I'd say treat each visit as it comes, or else you'll be thinking 'i had the salad last time, pizza this time'.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Learn to cook. The food you can make at home is better. I live within 50 steps of Mexican, Thai, Chinese, two bars with American, and a pizza joint. 100 steps and look out! Proximity has nothing to do determination.

I agree. I'm not vegan or anything but I have a vegan and vegetarian cookbook in my kitchen drawer. Problem is with my work and university schedule being so hectic I rarely have time for myself these days. Im thinking about cooking my meals in advance so that I have no excuse to order out. I just have to get into the habit of finding time to do so.

A lot of people use one of their weekend days as food prep. I don't know if you have any "off" time at all though with your schedule.
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    dude, i live in brooklyn. there is a pizza place every two blocks.

Stop trying to rub in that you have all this access to pizza! Where I live there are churches every two blocks. All there is are little wafers and sacramental wine. :sad:

@The_Relentless1 LOL!!! You have no idea how much that made me laugh! Hahaha!
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    You look at at that place as though it were a dragon's den. Your mortal enemy. Certainly the dragon is hoarding treasures in there but it not always worth the risk. It taunts you from across the moat, but you have a warriors heart and though you are brave, you are not stupid.

if you think it is a smart choice and you are in desperate need of gold, it will okay to slip in undetected on occasion. but only on occasion.

for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

you can do it. the peasants believe in you.

Best. Advice. Ever.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you haven't found a healthy way to feel about food TBH. If you think about a food as a reward or a treat vs. energy source you'll only end up feeling deprived.

If you count calories or macros you can pretty well fit most foods in with moderation. I put cake mix into my overnight oats.. there are plenty of ways to make foods you typically think you have to "avoid" very manageable.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Life long sustainability is only going to occur when you have gotten to a place where you can walk in to the pizza place order a salad but also order a personal size pizza to go with that salad or the same at the Chinese restaurant. In the beginning abstinence is fine if that is the only way you can stop your triggers but you have to realize coming to terms with said foods is the only way you will ever have total success over them...... In the beginning I brought in 2 -35 gallon trash cans and rid the house of all trigger food until such a time that I was strong enough to introduce them back into my life.... Now the control is all mine...... Best of Luck
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Two blocks away from my house we have a Mcdonalds, a local barbecue stand and a local donut shop. I eat these things in moderation and I practice self control. You are going to have to deal with food temptations for the rest of your life. Running from it isn't going to teach you anything.