Dieting and exercising for 18 months and not lost weight!

Options
12346»

Replies

• MrsRainz
    MrsRainz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have severe hypothyroidism and working out/eating less doesn't always = losing weight, HOWEVER... If I actually cut my calories by THAT much and exercised THAT much combined with the dieting, I would lose weight. It would yoyo while I adjusted my medicine BUT it would come off.

I'm sure your mom thinks she is doing the right things, but sounds like she needs to cut carbs, monitor the amount of extra calories through drinks, etc and try that route. The carbs could be the culprit.

More lean protein, less carbs. Minimal sugars, etc.

Good luck to your mom.
  • Jamie22184
    Jamie22184 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others who have said mom's not being honest about food intake.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    what does she drink?
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    she needs to cut out the bread.. and eat atleast 5 smaller and HEALTHIER meals a day!
    NO BREADS, PASTRIES, REFINED CARBS, WHITE RICE - EAT A BIG BREAKFAST, MEDIUM LUNCH AND SMALL DINNER AND EAT DINNER BEFORE 5. ANYTHING AND EVERTHING AFTER THAT WILL TURN TO FAT. eat more protein, lean meat, eggs, veg, plain yogurt etc.. whole wheat rice rather than white rice. rye bread is she must have bread. small changes - HUGE DIFFERENCE. really make your dinner the smallest meal of the day.. and just enough to not be hungry. fill it up with water / tea.

um....a few things....I wasn't aware the body runs on a clock and says ''uh oh. it's 5 pm....everything in after this point will turn to fat". Also... this?...
    cant see eating a plate of heavy food just an hour or so before you go to bed is healthy
    - I don't know a whole lot of grown adults who go to bed at 6 pm.

And finally...."whole wheat rice"? whaaaaaaaa? You do know that rice and wheat are two entirely different grains so there is no such thing as ''whole wheat rice''....or it's not actually rice....yes? No? Is there some weird hybrid out there i've never heard of or do you mean Wild Rice?
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I like to have a bedtime snack to rev my metabolism while I sleep, so I don't wake up in starvation mode.

Good one!
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of the show Secret Eaters? It features people who are puzzled about why they're not losing weight while not eating very much. The answer is: they're eating more than they think. Sometimes, a lot more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bJgpvMMm3U
  • anabelpalomo
    anabelpalomo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If she really were only eating what you stated she is and exercising in the amounts you're also stating, she would have lost some weight. 18 months is a very long time to have been on the exercise/eating plan that she's on and not have moved the scale at least a little.

If you are really interested in helping your mother out, you need to find out if she is being honest about the food she is eating. Ask her to be honest with you. Keep an open mind and don't simply reply by saying she is being honest. Do you live with her and watch her 24/7? If you don't, look into it.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    she needs to cut out the bread.. and eat atleast 5 smaller and HEALTHIER meals a day!
    NO BREADS, PASTRIES, REFINED CARBS, WHITE RICE - EAT A BIG BREAKFAST, MEDIUM LUNCH AND SMALL DINNER AND EAT DINNER BEFORE 5. ANYTHING AND EVERTHING AFTER THAT WILL TURN TO FAT. eat more protein, lean meat, eggs, veg, plain yogurt etc.. whole wheat rice rather than white rice. rye bread is she must have bread. small changes - HUGE DIFFERENCE. really make your dinner the smallest meal of the day.. and just enough to not be hungry. fill it up with water / tea.

:laugh:
  • BrittanySA
    Options

And finally...."whole wheat rice"? whaaaaaaaa? You do know that rice and wheat are two entirely different grains so there is no such thing as ''whole wheat rice''....or it's not actually rice....yes? No? Is there some weird hybrid out there i've never heard of or do you mean Wild Rice?

OMG...I missed the whole wheat rice...I'm dying here...

OP...it's possible your mom is underestimating her calorie intake accidentally. I know that before I weighed and measured everything, I had NO CLUE how much 4oz of chicken was, or what one serving of soup looked like. It truly is an eye opener, and I am willing to bet that most people here will say the same of when they first started.

I am not trying to be insulting, but barring medical conditions/medication, she would lose. It is a scientific LAW, not opinion or anecdote.

Good luck.
  • lolbemad
    Options
    18 months is a long time to sit with no results. She needs to log her food, she isn't eating a deficit. If she has health problems she should ask a doctor. If she IS doing everything right with zero results she should ask a doctor, see if she has any under lying health problems. Aside from that she needs to just create a deficit.