phil robertson suspended from duck dynasty

Options

Replies

• sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

Yes, he can have an opinion, but in this case, his opinion was bigoted. Good riddance.

Spoken like a true liberal bigot.

Do tell how my post was bigoted. This should be good.

By definition, your intolerance of his opinion/viewpoint makes you a bigot as well.

I don't care about the definition. Being against bigotry doesn't mean you're a bigot. What a dumb statement.

:laugh: :laugh:
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Yes, he can have an opinion, but in this case, his opinion was bigoted. Good riddance.

By definition, your intolerance of his opinion/viewpoint makes you a bigot as well.

I don't care about the definition. Being against bigotry doesn't mean you're a bigot. What a dumb statement.

Ah I forgot, you liberals just take any term, change its meaning, then force everyone else to conform to what you want it to mean. Silly me.
    Silly all of us non libs;)
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    In all fairness if the situation was reversed and a gay person said the same thing about a straight person, what would happen??? Thoughts on this?

My thought, nothing....as special interest groups are pretty much running America.

Agreed and I'm sick of it.

ETA: Oops, I guess I shouldn't have said that. I probably offended someone. :sick:
    No worries, people will get all amped up on my post too

Didn't offend me...I am right there with you.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    Freedom of speech and freedom of religion. He was suspended based on sharing his religious beliefs. He was honest about his beliefs and also went on to say he "loved all humanity" and several times stated it was " just his belief and opinion that it was a sin" If you are a christian and believe what the Bible says then it has several references to "homosexuality is a sin" "an abomination". I share a lot of the same opinions as he does but I also respect others decisions and treat everyone the same. It is not for me to judge others. I think that is what he was trying to say also. He believes it is a sin just like the other things he listed were sins according to the Bible. This country is going to crap. We have no freedoms any longer. He should not have been suspended for this. People need to stop getting so offended about every little thing. It is absolutely ridiculous that people have to walk on eggshells in a "free" country. I am a Christian and I believe what the Bible says, but guess what, I don't treat someone differently just because I don't agree with their lifestyle. That is not my place. I have friends that are gay, lesbian, atheist , Christian, Mormon, Buddhist, all races and religions. They all know my beliefs and respect my beliefs as I do theirs. This is the perfect example of "making a mountain out of a molehill" . If you are comfortable with your way of life and don't think you are somehow doing the wrong thing then why are you so worried about the possibility you " may' be judged. If your gonna choose it, be proud of it, other wise your heart really isn't in it as much as it should be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and not everyone is going to agree or share the same opinion. That is the beautiful thing about this country. We DONT have to think the way we are told to think. If we did this would be a communist country and NOBODY wants that right?!:noway:

Well said! This explains my thoughts exactly.

and yet people are offended that he was suspended...go figure
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Has nothing to do with his rights or whether he was right or wrong. He didn't represent his employer the way they wanted. Gotta play the game.

By the way, what is Duck Dynasty?

I never saw the show and don't plan to see it either, but they are everywhere. It looks like the show is about a bunch of dudes with lots of face hair living somewhere in the middle of the country and running after some ducks in the lake.

I read what Robertson said because it was in the news last night, and it was tasteless and offensive; obviously the guy has not class and his beard is weighting on his brain. Yes, he had the freedom of speech on this side, but sometimes people takes freedoms to unhealthy levels. And as posted in this forum, he was suspended by the network and not persecuted by the government, so the Constitution is safe.

If I remember correctly an anchor was dismissed by CNN few weeks ago for expressing his opinion about Sarah Palin (aka duck dynasty without the beard), and nobody complained much about it. So this is karma.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options

Ah I forgot, you liberals just take any term, change its meaning, then force everyone else to conform to what you want it to mean. Silly me.

Kind of hard to take anyone seriously that claims only liberals can take a term and turn its meaning into whatever they want. Just wanted to throw out there that conservatives do that too just as much :grumble:

Carry on
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Reread your original statement. I helped you with it. One small nuance can "bigot" your entire "dumb statement"

Oh, for my opinion that I don't care that he isn't on TV anymore, that's bigoted. I get it now....lol. Sorry, if you are a bigot, I don't want you on TV making money. That's not bigotry.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    For the record, I am not sorry that I spelled beastiality wrong twice in my earlier post. Sometimes, there are words that it's OK to screw up.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    A&E isn't the US Government.

Nobody's freedom of speech was impacted. Phil said what he was free to say, and A&E had a response that they are free to have.

Yep - QFT.

He has the right to say what he wants - but that doesn't mean there aren't consequences.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

If I remember correctly an anchor was dismissed by CNN few weeks ago for expressing his opinion about Sarah Palin (aka duck dynasty without the beard), and nobody complained much about it. So this is karma.

That anchor said Sarah Palin should be forced to eat feces.

Phil Robertson didn't threaten any kind of violence against anyone.

Just so we're clear on what ACTUALLY happened.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    For the record, I am not sorry that I spelled beastiality wrong twice in my earlier post. Sometimes, there are words that it's OK to screw up.

Lol that is definitely one of them. Ick.
  • Luv2Smile55
    Luv2Smile55 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    my problem stands with why is one person/organizations view considered right or wrong......why is a gay persons view that homosexuality is right ok but his view that its wrong isnt ok.....just seems un-american to me

Amen brotha.

Double Amen:smile:
  • BL_Mark
    BL_Mark Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Freedom of speech... period. The media is saying he compared homosexuality to bestiality which is not what he said. He said he thought homosexuality was a SIN. Then they asked him what else he thought a sin was... that's when he said bestiality, polygamy, being unfaithful to your mate etc.... Despite what he said, it's a matter of opinion. I wonder if he would've been fired if he AGREED with homosexuality?? Probably not. It's a double standard in the media and that's wrong.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Kind of hard to take anyone seriously that claims only liberals can take a term and turn its meaning into whatever they want. Just wanted to throw out there that conservatives do that too just as much :grumble:

Carry on
    :explode:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Violation of his first amendment rights. I hope the rest of the family quits A&E and takes their show elsewhere .

HOLY ****!! THEY ARRESTED PHIL?!?!?!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Freedom of speech... period. The media is saying he compared homosexuality to bestiality which is not what he said. He said he thought homosexuality was a SIN. Then they asked him what else he thought a sin was... that's when he said bestiality, polygamy, being unfaithful to your mate etc.... Despite what he said, it's a matter of opinion. I wonder if he would've been fired if he AGREED with homosexuality?? Probably not. It's a double standard in the media and that's wrong.

That's like asking if you agree with racism or not. Sometimes, there is a right answer.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Did we get 10 pages of reply for the Food Network firing Paula Deen and the idiotic things she said?
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Did we get 10 pages of reply for the Food Network firing Paula Deen and the idiotic things she said?

Probably even more. That woman loved butter even more than I do.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options

As I recall, yeah I think we did.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

and she made delicious buttery food for us to enjoy. Way more relevant than these knuckleheads.
This discussion has been closed.