phil robertson suspended from duck dynasty

Options

Replies

• Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    7 pages in to this thread, and the reality that A&E has succeeded in their aim becomes glaringly apparent.

Curious to know what their aim? was I dont watch that channel. Not even the one of the greatest shows on TV. "The Walking Dead"

Are they trying to sell more Duck Dynasty Chia Heads for the last holiday push???
    dd-chiawillie.jpg

No successes here. Im still watching the History and Science channels though. You can keep the artsy fartsy stuff. :tongue:
    I'll refer you to my earlier comment on page 6 of the thread.

Page 2 of thread, someone beat me to the punch:
    ... <snip>

I sure hope they won't lose any viewing audience or product sales from this, oh wait, yeah, they won't. They will now enjoy some elevated time in the spotlight though...wait a minute, were we tricked by a marketing ploy?
    Controversy and sex sells. You've now got controversy over statements about sex. A&E is brilliant for suspending this man. Not only do they get to take action and make a statement supporting the LGBT community, thus retaining viewership in that population, they retain and gain viewership in the conservative anti-homosexual segment of the population for persecuting someone who shares their belief.

The internet is now a buzz, fueling a spike in attention on A&E and Duck Dynasty. Well played you devious *kitten*! Well played!

*edited* to correct believe with belief.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You know how black people are born black and they kinda, sorta stay black for their entire lives? They can't change it. It's sorta racist to be prejudice against someone who can't change who they are.

Well, it's basically the same thing with gay people. You see, my friends, you cannot pick and choose what gender you are attracted to. You saying you "disagree with the gay lifestyle" is really just some bull****.

When you decided the day you were straight, let me know! I'm sure it was a real difficult decision for you.

A little late. Read the entire thread. This statement from Page 2 is basically exactly how I feel about it.

Yes, he can have an opinion, but in this case, his opinion was bigoted. Good riddance.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, however ignorant they might be. But let's all go ahead and act shocked that he's a racist homophobe.

ETA: I don't waste my time on garbage reality tv anyway. The best thing I've ever done was to axe my cable.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Its BS....he was asked a question and he answered, nothing more than that. Totally losing faith in the human race.

^^ This

But then A&E expressed *their* opinion that they would prefer to discontinue paying someone whose views have the potential to drive away advertising dollars. Nothing more than that.
    Yep....Corporate Amercia at their finest......sell outs

Sellout? Didn't A&E start their reality showcase with Queer Eye for the Straight Guy? I think the are sticking with their original demographic.
    Yes they did!! Lets reverse this though, what if a gay person said that the opposite gender parts are gross.....what happens then....yep, nothing.
  • ajaxe432
    Options
    In all fairness if the situation was reversed and a gay person said the same thing about a straight person, what would happen??? Thoughts on this?

My thought, nothing....as special interest groups are pretty much running America
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    In all fairness if the situation was reversed and a gay person said the same thing about a straight person, what would happen??? Thoughts on this?

My thought, nothing....as special interest groups are pretty much running America.

Agreed and I'm sick of it.

ETA: Oops, I guess I shouldn't have said that. I probably offended someone. :sick:
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    my cousin is a transvestite. He WASN'T BORN one. He was married, had 3 kids and one day he DECIDED he wanted to become a 6'3 215 pound woman.

There are people who don't like me, won't date or even be my friend because I am black. I DON'T CARE! There are PREFERENCES! Most of the people on this post have never dated outside their race. Doesn't mean there is something wrong with them or they are prejudice. They just have preferences.

I have gay friends, but I don't wanna dude kissing on me..lol. What he said was no big deal.

And A&E also HAS the right to have him on the show or not. Do I think they are wrong? Yes I do. Does it matter? Not really. They support the gay and lesbian community and that is why they suspended them. I can't come to work saying that.

The only thing I disagree with is that they said is it doesn't reflect Duck Dynasty. Well if it doesn't why suspend him?
  • PSULions2008
    Options

A little late. Read the entire thread. This statement from Page 2 is basically exactly how I feel about it.

Yes, he can have an opinion, but in this case, his opinion was bigoted. Good riddance.

Bigot: A term used by a liberal to to describe a person that disagrees with their viewpoint or opinion. However, the term can NEVER be used to describe said liberal for their intolerance of differing opinions.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Let's all be clear.

No one should die. lol

really? because I know a lot of really stupid people who just throw themselves off a bridge- because they are making life harder for the rest of us.

We are not all equal and special and worth while snow flakes. Seriously- we have warning labels for hot coffee- that YOU ORDERED.

our society is messed up- there should be open season on stupid.

Have you seen The Purge yet? Kind of a brilliant idea!

I haven't. perhaps I should- I was mildly interested in seeing it. I not sure I'm on board with doing what ever you want for a night- maybe it's a start in the right direction!!! I do agree with removing the warning labels and letting people sort themselves out- also not catering to the lowest common denominator. I feel like Sparta was on to something.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Freedom of speech and freedom of religion. He was suspended based on sharing his religious beliefs. He was honest about his beliefs and also went on to say he "loved all humanity" and several times stated it was " just his belief and opinion that it was a sin" If you are a christian and believe what the Bible says then it has several references to "homosexuality is a sin" "an abomination". I share a lot of the same opinions as he does but I also respect others decisions and treat everyone the same. It is not for me to judge others. I think that is what he was trying to say also. He believes it is a sin just like the other things he listed were sins according to the Bible. This country is going to crap. We have no freedoms any longer. He should not have been suspended for this. People need to stop getting so offended about every little thing. It is absolutely ridiculous that people have to walk on eggshells in a "free" country. I am a Christian and I believe what the Bible says, but guess what, I don't treat someone differently just because I don't agree with their lifestyle. That is not my place. I have friends that are gay, lesbian, atheist , Christian, Mormon, Buddhist, all races and religions. They all know my beliefs and respect my beliefs as I do theirs. This is the perfect example of "making a mountain out of a molehill" . If you are comfortable with your way of life and don't think you are somehow doing the wrong thing then why are you so worried about the possibility you " may' be judged. If your gonna choose it, be proud of it, other wise your heart really isn't in it as much as it should be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and not everyone is going to agree or share the same opinion. That is the beautiful thing about this country. We DONT have to think the way we are told to think. If we did this would be a communist country and NOBODY wants that right?!:noway:
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Its BS....he was asked a question and he answered, nothing more than that. Totally losing faith in the human race.

^^ This

But then A&E expressed *their* opinion that they would prefer to discontinue paying someone whose views have the potential to drive away advertising dollars. Nothing more than that.
    Yep....Corporate Amercia at their finest......sell outs

Sellout? Didn't A&E start their reality showcase with Queer Eye for the Straight Guy? I think the are sticking with their original demographic.
    Yes they did!! Lets reverse this though, what if a gay person said that the opposite gender parts are gross.....what happens then....yep, nothing.

How does saying you don't like boobs equate to comparing someone's sexual orientation to bestiality while also condemning them?
  • Hornsby
    Options

My thought, nothing....

Nothing, cause being straight isn't something that is widely discriminated against. It's not the same thing.
  • ajaxe432
    Options

My thought, nothing....as special interest groups are pretty much running America.

Agreed and I'm sick of it.

ETA: Oops, I guess I shouldn't have said that. I probably offended someone. :sick:
    No worries, people will get all amped up on my post too
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Has nothing to do with his rights or whether he was right or wrong. He didn't represent his employer the way they wanted. Gotta play the game.

By the way, what is Duck Dynasty?
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

Let's all be clear.

No one should die. lol

really? because I know a lot of really stupid people who just throw themselves off a bridge- because they are making life harder for the rest of us.

We are not all equal and special and worth while snow flakes. Seriously- we have warning labels for hot coffee- that YOU ORDERED.

our society is messed up- there should be open season on stupid.
    [/quote]

I never said people weren't stupid. Enough stupid to go around for everyone.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Freedom of speech and freedom of religion. He was suspended based on sharing his religious beliefs. He was honest about his beliefs and also went on to say he "loved all humanity" and several times stated it was " just his belief and opinion that it was a sin" If you are a christian and believe what the Bible says then it has several references to "homosexuality is a sin" "an abomination". I share a lot of the same opinions as he does but I also respect others decisions and treat everyone the same. It is not for me to judge others. I think that is what he was trying to say also. He believes it is a sin just like the other things he listed were sins according to the Bible. This country is going to crap. We have no freedoms any longer. He should not have been suspended for this. People need to stop getting so offended about every little thing. It is absolutely ridiculous that people have to walk on eggshells in a "free" country. I am a Christian and I believe what the Bible says, but guess what, I don't treat someone differently just because I don't agree with their lifestyle. That is not my place. I have friends that are gay, lesbian, atheist , Christian, Mormon, Buddhist, all races and religions. They all know my beliefs and respect my beliefs as I do theirs. This is the perfect example of "making a mountain out of a molehill" . If you are comfortable with your way of life and don't think you are somehow doing the wrong thing then why are you so worried about the possibility you " may' be judged. If your gonna choose it, be proud of it, other wise your heart really isn't in it as much as it should be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and not everyone is going to agree or share the same opinion. That is the beautiful thing about this country. We DONT have to think the way we are told to think. If we did this would be a communist country and NOBODY wants that right?!:noway:

My religion says I should sacrifice a goat every December. Doesn't mean I won't get canned if I do it in the parking lot of my company.
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options

My religion says I should sacrifice a goat every December. Doesn't mean I won't get canned if I do it in the parking lot of my company.

Are you going to eat the goat?
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I think there are so many more important things going on in the world than the personal beliefs and outspoken views of one man. While it takes one to start a revolution, it can also take one to set back another.
  • susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    Options

Well said! This explains my thoughts exactly.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

My thought, nothing....

Nothing, cause being straight isn't something that is widely discriminated against. It's not the same thing.

As I said earlier. How many gay people condemn or disagree with straight people/relationships. They don't.
    They recognize more than ANYONE that your orientation is not a choice.
This discussion has been closed.