phil robertson suspended from duck dynasty

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It wasn't just about homosexuality...Robertson also made comments about blacks in the GQ article.

"I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once., Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I'm with the blacks, because we're white trash. We're going across the field. ... They're singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, 'I tell you what: These doggone white people' -- not a word!"

Then he goes on to basically say they were happy because they were godly.

As for "comparing" gay sex to beasteality, he was asked what he considered sinful and he mentions beasteality and also sex outside of marriage in general, no matter who it is.

Just to clear that all up.
  • Superskinnie36
    Superskinnie36 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I guess rights aren't all equal anymore...

while it IS your right to have whatever lifestyle you want, what about peoples right to NOT agree with it..

I guess the populous supposed to be sheep and not think/form an opinion different from the masses now?

being in the public eye though, god forbid you have an independant thought...
  • lindathome
    lindathome Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    First Ammendment has nothing to do with what he said. First ammendment protects you from government punishment for speaking against the government - not from an employer firing you for an opinion that differs from their theirs.
  • EMPulseKC
    EMPulseKC Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Everyone is free to express their own personal opinion, but it's naive to assume that there aren't consequences for doing so, especially when you have a performance contract with a private cable network at stake. A&E has a product to sell, and if they feel like one of their performers' opinions will cause them to lose money by losing viewers (not just for one show, but with everything they air), obviously they're going to do what they think is in their best interest to retain as many of those viewers as they can, even if that means the suspension or dismissal of someone from a television contract.

There are plenty of reasons to not watch a staged, manipulative "reality show" that relies on characters and catchphrases to market merchandise and DVD sales. Predictably crass comments from one person and the subsequent damage control from a network aren't high on my list though.
  • rokdog1
    Options
    Hmmmm. "We have to be careful what we say in this day and age"
    That ought to be telling for any of you paying attention. Phil was asked his opinion, he gave it. If it was so disagreeable to you that you are unable to continue to watch his show on A&E, feel free to avoid it. When you lose a job for an opinion that is contrary to what today is considered Politically Correct, I see that as a problem. If A&E would lose considerable revenue because of his actions, I could understand his firing. But you folks calling for punitive action to an individual because they don't agree with you, shame on you. Those of you calling his opinion "hate speech" that needs to be squashed are yourselves being intolerant, to the point of denying Phil Robertson his 1st ammendment rights. It's a sad state when only opinions that agree with yours are tolerated.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents. I am a fan of the show. I have watched most of the episodes and enjoy it. I love the way they are raising the kids and sticking to their roots and getting the kids off of video games and outside. My friend has been to a religious conference where one of the women on the show, Missy, was speaking and she said it was absolutely amazing. I think Phil should've never been asked his opinion on that topic in the first place. They are very outspoken and hold true to the their beliefs and asking that question was setting him up for this. Yes, he could've been more tactful, but they really aren't known for their tact, ya know?
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    My biggest issue overall is that A&E used to show educational, interesting, quality shows. Now it's all cheap, crappy reality TV. I couldn't tell you the last time I watched anything on that channel.

I saw we boycott A&E for that reason alone.

same with TLC... WTF is educational about honey boo boo???
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    It wasn't just about homosexuality...Robertson also made comments about blacks in the GQ article.

"I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once., Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hod cotton with them. I'm with the blacks, because we're white trash. We're going across the field. ... They're singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, 'I tell you what: These doggone white people' -- not a word!"

Then he goes on to basically say they were happy because they were godly.

As for "comparing" gay sex to beasteality, he was asked what he considered sinful and he mentions beasteality and also sex outside of marriage in general, no matter who it is.

Just to clear that all up.

All clear here :)
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with Palin, free speech is an endangered species.

Suspending Roberston is appeasing the liberal bullies and their very flexible definition of "hate speech."
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    i love how people are saying he should sue. sue for what? was his freedom of speech violated? last time i saw he wasnt arrested for his comments.

now, should be people be arrested for being stupid enough to believe that freedom of speech is some type of shield that people arent allowed to disagree and hold you accountable for your idiotic thoughts? no, that isnt what freedom of speech means.

and for anyone in this day and age to equate homosexuality to beastiality shows what an ignorant wipe of a buttocks they are, but then again believing in a fairy tale of a book to be your moral compass, i wouldnt expect much different

One could argue he was fired based on his religious beliefs. Just throwing that out there.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My biggest issue overall is that A&E used to show educational, interesting, quality shows. Now it's all cheap, crappy reality TV. I couldn't tell you the last time I watched anything on that channel.

You're learning how to make a camouflage wedding dress look even tackier than it sounds!
  • lindathome
    lindathome Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yes, he has a right to his opinion, and his employer (in this case A&E network) has the right to terminate him for expressing an opinion they don't agree with. Simple as that. An employer exercising their rights. He could have said that he hated cats for all it matters, A&E didn't like it, it probably violated something in his contract, and they were within their rights to 'suspend' him.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options

Pretty sure Oprah wish/ordered death upon many a caucasions and I don't recall any lashback on her career...
    Source?

Googler her interview on BBC. She's talking about all the caucasians who grew up believing in racism "...need to die" I just googled this, and it links back to the actual interview.

http://topconservativenews.com/2013/11/oprah-unleashes-most-hateful-diatribe-against-white-people-ever/

That being said, If a celebrity said that all the racist african americans, or those believing lower of the caucasions or any other race for that matter, need to die, I guarantee their career would be over...
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. "We have to be careful what we say in this day and age"
    That ought to be telling for any of you paying attention. Phil was asked his opinion, he gave it. If it was so disagreeable to you that you are unable to continue to watch his show on A&E, feel free to avoid it. When you lose a job for an opinion that is contrary to what today is considered Politically Correct, I see that as a problem. If A&E would lose considerable revenue because of his actions, I could understand his firing. But you folks calling for punitive action to an individual because they don't agree with you, shame on you. Those of you calling his opinion "hate speech" that needs to be squashed are yourselves being intolerant, to the point of denying Phil Robertson his 1st ammendment rights. It's a sad state when only opinions that agree with yours are tolerated.
    First of all, A&E probably would lose considerable advertiser dollars if they left the show on the air, because companies wouldn't want to be associated with those opinions.

Second, it was not a First Amendment violation, because A&E is not the government.

I'm just going to keep posting this until people actually read it.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Eh. I don't agree with what he said, but he had every right to say it. But A&E had every right to what actions they took as well. Meh.

I am more concerned with how many people are bringing up the First Amendment who clearly have never actually read it.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

Pretty sure Oprah wish/ordered death upon many a caucasions and I don't recall any lashback on her career...
    Source?

In November she said “there are still generations of people, older people, who were born and bred and marinated in it – in that prejudice and racism – and they just have to die.”
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Page 2 of thread, someone beat me to the punch:
    ... <snip>

I sure hope they won't lose any viewing audience or product sales from this, oh wait, yeah, they won't. They will now enjoy some elevated time in the spotlight though...wait a minute, were we tricked by a marketing ploy?
    Controversy and sex sells. You've now got controversy over statements about sex. A&E is brilliant for suspending this man. Not only do they get to take action and make a statement supporting the LGBT community, thus retaining viewership in that population, they retain and gain viewership in the conservative anti-homosexual segment of the population for persecuting someone who shares their belief.

The internet is now a buzz, fueling a spike in attention on A&E and Duck Dynasty. Well played you devious *kitten*! Well played!

*edited* to correct believe with belief.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    didnt read any responses, but i think it's pretty simple.

he is certainly entitled to his opinion.
    he has a right to voice it.

A&E also has the right to distance itself from it.

his rights are not being infringed upon, he's just feeling the repercussions of his words.

seems pretty cut and dry to me.
  • W0rthless_Her0
    Options

Its teaching the world that you can be popular and a millionaire even though your life is a trainwreck.

021f294924b788a1c2333c610ff24679.jpg

a4ab07f341a1e4edb3570866b50d22bd.JPG
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with Palin, free speech is an endangered species.

Suspending Roberston is appeasing the liberal bullies and their very flexible definition of "hate speech."
    Free speech does not mean free of consequences.

Again,

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

Note the very first word.
This discussion has been closed.