I HATE WATER?!

Options
124»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Drink whatever you want. No magical properties to water.
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Have you tried drinking bottled water rather than tap water?
    I moved to a different country and can't drink the tap water, I can't stand the taste, so I switched to bottled water and that tastes a lot better. Alternatively - you can get these tablets called 'ZERO Highs', they're calorie free and give you some electrolytes as well as flavouring your water. They have nice flavours like apple

^ This.

Growing up and in college, I used to love water, but now i hate it. I realized recently I really don't like the water in my small town. LOL -- thinking of moving to the big city where I like the taste of the water. The water there is purer and taste so much better!
  • msmonique46
    msmonique46 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone that suggested you don't need to drink water because they haven't experienced any negative health issues, is joking. Not drinking water will ABSOLUTELY kill your kidneys at some point. I have kidney disease in my family and it is devastating.
  • Chizakura
    Chizakura Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had this problem too. I hated it so much that when I drank it, I felt queasy. Obviously the queasy feeling was all in my head, but the mind is a powerful thing. My solution? Homemade unsweetened iced tea. I throw in three bags of any fruity Celestial Seasonings herbal teas into a big pitcher, fill it up with cold filtered water, and let it steep overnight in the fridge. Tastes far better than plain water. After months of drinking it, I can drink glasses of water now too without loathing it. Still definitely prefer the iced tea though, so I make sure there is always a pitcher at all times to stop myself from grabbing juice.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone that suggested you don't need to drink water because they haven't experienced any negative health issues, is joking. Not drinking water will ABSOLUTELY kill your kidneys at some point. I have kidney disease in my family and it is devastating.
    Huh? Proper hydration is important. Drinking water specifically is not. Drinking milk, coffe, juice, or soda doesn't have much effect on the kidneys, as the kidneys receive just the water, after the stomach and intestines have digested and absorbed everything else.

By the time the soda you drank reaches your kidneys, it's exactly the same as a glass of water.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I agree that pure water isnt the only way to hydrate yourself. Although i do believe that water is the best option. I am slowly weening myself off diet coke. I started with regular coke then moved onto diet coke, then half the time diet coke and half the time water. Is it tap water you are drinking? because tap water and filtered water can taste quite different. I find water bottles help because i dont feel as rushed to drink it out of a bottle, i set a minimum goal to just try to finish off my water bottle for the day, i also fill it up before bed and find i drink it through the night and early morning. I currently use a contigo water bottle and i find it really helps me drink more water because it is difficult to take tiny sips with it, every "sip" from my contigo gives a decent amount of water and the way it flows just makes me drink more. Not sure if i sound crazy but i really think this water bottle is helping me drink more water.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    firstworldproblem. go tell an african kid you hate your tap water.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Smart Water by Glaceau is a life saver. It's got a more...crisp feel and it feels different in my mouth. I love it. Plus, it has electrolytes and such for extra hydration. But, also look into the flavor drops by Dasani, Hawaiian Punch, Mio, etc. Or Propel Water, or the water from WalMart that's flavored and carbonated. They're all very good options.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwnW0z3PQIwP3MHT2_v9FBsHCwBcMwogKgzjYUKDT3ytf9Ud-6hQ
    Electrolytes don't provide "extra hydration;" electrolytes are compounds that ionize when dissolved in ionizing solvents like water. Many of them are, in fact, salts.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    add whiskey to it

Rum and vodka are good, too. But for those days when other people pester you to be functional, there is also tea. I drink green or black tea more often than straight up water.

Or maybe a filter on your faucet? Water is good, the crap in our tap water, not so much.
  • KelleynBradyBoys
    Options
    Just drink decaf tea. Put a little milk in it if you need more flavor.
  • SerenaKitty
    Options
    I hate oxygen, too

Same here. I'm still waiting for Crystal Light Air Stix.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I hate oxygen, too

Same here. I'm still waiting for Crystal Light Air Stix.

Perri-air-250x200.jpg
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    If it helps, I used to find this too (plain water made me queasy), so to start with I was drinking herbal tea and diluted fruit juice and just logging the calories (it's not that hard to budget for it if it's diluted, it won't break the diet, though it pushes the sugar up). Now, after a few months on mfp, I find I enjoy water and actively want to drink it. I can only assume something in my unhealthy diet before was messing with my thirst and now it's fixed itself.

So do whatever you need to to get the fluids in within your calorie budget, and you might find in time that your feelings about water change.
  • howardge
    howardge Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Maria Bamford, my favorite comedian, has a line about how she can never drink enough water because she's full.

I feel like this is my problem. If I actually drink enough water its just too full in my tum tum!!! Its the worst! I don't even really mind the way it tastes-- I don't prefer soda or juice... I usually have a cup of coffee in the morning and then I have to fight all of my bodily instincts and cram my belly full of water and be all sloshy and uncomfortable. Its the worst.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Today I dehydrated ginger and lemon zest, and then ran it through the food processor. I ran it through the Keurig and it made a decent tea. It was definitely better than water alone.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    Ok so I'll be the idiot who asks this question:) does it still count as water if your adding stuff to it? I have always thought/ been told it doesn't. Personly I think drinking water is gross :( my only fluid intack now that I've cut out juices n high cal drinks is 1 8oz bottle of lemon water while im at work so I don't get dehydrated ( I work in a hot kitchen) but besides that I don't drink.
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

Juice counts. Milk counts. Soda counts. Tea counts. Coffee counts. The liquid content in your food counts. There's nothing magical about water, relative to other non-alcoholic, unsalted liquids for hydration, and nothing particularly magical about eight glasses a day.

^^This. Absolutely.
    And some food is mostly water. Cooked pumpkin is over 90% water by weight.

ETA: According to the National Academies of Science, "normal hydration can be maintained over a wide range of water intakes," and they include water, water in other beverages, and water in food as part of total water intake.
    http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10925&page=73
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    How much water are you trying to drink?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    Today I dehydrated ginger and lemon zest, and then ran it through the food processor. I ran it through the Keurig and it made a decent tea. It was definitely better than water alone.

I'm glad you found something you like. You know you can just put sliced fresh ginger and fresh zest (or add lemon juice) in a cup and pour boiling water over it, if you want a less complicated process.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Stick a straw in it and away you go

Seriously this. Compared to all the other nasty **** you've either already stuck or may, at a later date, stick in your mouth as a modern Western person, water is fairly benign. Unless your water source is poisoned, just deal. Of course your body is going to react to changes of diet, which includes fluids.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Smart Water by Glaceau is a life saver. It's got a more...crisp feel and it feels different in my mouth. I love it. Plus, it has electrolytes and such for extra hydration. But, also look into the flavor drops by Dasani, Hawaiian Punch, Mio, etc. Or Propel Water, or the water from WalMart that's flavored and carbonated. They're all very good options.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwnW0z3PQIwP3MHT2_v9FBsHCwBcMwogKgzjYUKDT3ytf9Ud-6hQ
    Electrolytes don't provide "extra hydration;" electrolytes are compounds that ionize when dissolved in ionizing solvents like water. Many of them are, in fact, salts.
    Plus, water comes from the toilet.
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-10810-1377012090-12.gif